new uds

S

smokingrandpappy

just finished mine tonight (Fri) going to do a good burn in it Sat afternoon and get my temp gauge in. Will have pics later as soon as i get my wife to post them for me (not to comp literate). So any suggestions for what to do for the first cook in this thing i dont want to spend to much money in case i just screw everything up. I have some cheap chicken wings i can do with whatever.

Chicken thighs, fatties, stuffed pork tenderloin.:-D What time is dinner ??:-D

two pork butts.
inexpensive and hard to farkup unless you don't pay attention.
Show us the pron and the UDS and then welcome to the fraternity of drumheads otherwise it never happened no matter how computer illiterate you are, lol.

So any suggestions for what to do for the first cook in this thing i dont want to spend to much money in case i just screw everything up. I have some cheap chicken wings i can do with whatever.

Pick up a 6-8 lb Pork Butt, search a few threads and go for it. Get your UDS temps set and smoke away.

Smokin, just my suggestion here. Load about 10 lbs fuel, get to about 225 degrees, (at the grate temp) throw on a couple fatties and some chic quarters, and a butt. There should be enough fuel for all of that. Smoke the fatties for 2-3 hrs (read the threads for different techniques), chics should be about the same time, take them off and eat well and then continue with the butt (could be 5-8 hours and then foil in a cooler for a couple hours) and monitor temps without foiling. Get the butt to about 195 degrees internal before putting in the cooler in foil. That will give you a good base line for you to work with. THE TASTE WILL BE MAGNIFICENT!!!!!! Keep notes since this is the starting point and change your technique the next cook and keep more notes. Life is Good! Just my $.02.

Alright Uncle B!!! I've got mine all drilled out and all the bolts etc. ready to go... and then I called to get a fire permit and today is NOT a "green burn day", this sucks:icon_sleepy. Maybe Monday. Tell Cindy to get busy and get those pics posted. And for your first cook, fatties are cool, chicken is cheap, and it's hard to screw up a pork butt.

Uh oh!!!!!!!!!
Seems we got a drumhead that besides wanting a white UDS doesn't want to see pics of a brethren's UDS. Shameful IMHO, lol.

LOL Barbarian....no not really.

Was in reference to it "not being a green burn day"

as in...my drum isnt green, its black so I can smoke away!

Back