• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Mustard rub on ribs????

B

BIGBrandon2785

Has anybody heard of this???I just got used to doin 3-1-1 ribs(by the way there awesome that way) but I heard someone the other day talking about a mustard rub on ribs???

That dont really sound good but I would try it on half a rack just to see.Anybody know of this??

This is very common. Its not for flavor but to allow the rub to stick better onto the meat. You don't taste the mustard after its done cooking.

I think it's over rated. Let the rub sit on the ribs about 10-15 minutes and it will melt right into the meat.

I think it's over rated. Let the rub sit on the ribs about 10-15 minutes and it will melt right into the meat.
Im gonna give the mustard a try but I usally put the rub on my ribs right before I make my fire so it sits for about 30 minutes anyways.

I have never tried mustard and have no problem with my rub sticking.. I think it's a mustard company myth so they can sell more goo.:becky:

A lot of the crutches I used when doing low and slow were not needed when I got faster and hotter. Goen where the elaborate rubs to build artificial barks, gone was foiling, injections were no longer needed (although my injection is stellar), gone was spritzing, having Jenna Haze slather them with her happy ass... all that stuff, including mustard... NOW MY HIT ME FRED SAUCE I LOVE to use on those farkers.

I agree with the poster that says it adds little. I use it from time to time... aS ANYONE who has seen my vids can see. I do like to use it on Butts.

Oh... IT DOES open up those pores due to the vinegar.

CWMRibs01.jpg

The famous Car Wash Mike Ribs get this much mustard.....​

I think it's mostly for the vinegar _not_ the mustard. Think of mustard as gooey vinegar. Don't use it myself.

Always use the mustard slather, but I'll be the first to say it probably adds little to the final product. Just part of the ritual of making st. louis spares.

Good Luck!

Depends on your mustard.

IMHO, American mustard is sweet and mild. I like it for kids stuff, but it's got no guts.

It gives you a false understanding of real mustard, which can have you trying to cut the top of your head off with a cleaver to let the heat out.

I just love it when I make a sammich with fresh English Hot Mustard... it burns the hairs out of my nostrils!..

What U Got???

Last time I did ribs it was 21 racks of trimmed spares. I used mustard + Plowboy's Yardbird. What I noticed was where blobs of mustard spilled, it wiped right up. Where dry rub spilled, it could be swept right up. But where they mixed as they spilled, it formed a tenacious gluey glob that had to really be washed strongly to come off. To me, making rub be that sticky is the goal. Nothing at all to do with flavor.

Back