Pork butt probs

spuhn

Reaction score
I smoked my first pork butt (8lbs) on the Pit Barrel and noticed about 2 hours in when I checked temp one end gave me significantly more resistance than the other when I inserted the Thermapen. The temp readings were consistent on both sides but it was VERY tough to probe. I wrapped in foil when it hit 161F, added a little beverage so it wouldn't dry out and placed it on the PBC grate. When I pulled and cut the pork the temp was around 203 on one side and absolutely perfect while 209F on the "tough" side. The pork was very dry and in the picture below you can see where the one middle park looks dry. Ribs were awesome though
smile.png

The pork was not injected since it was my first time smoking butt.

Attachments

• porkhanging.jpg
    porkhanging.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 140
  • porkfinished.jpg
    porkfinished.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 139
Sometimes you just get a bad / tough piece of meat?

I like using the hanging grate. You can do a butt on one side and the ribs on the other. I like being able to rotate the meat around. I cook all my competition pork on the PBC and since I am going to wrap anyway hanging it is just kind of and extra step.

And to echo the above you do sometimes get a weird piece of meat. I had a brisket once that had a knot or something in it...when I was injecting it broke my injector.

I agree with all the others, occasionally you get a butt that some portion of it just doesn't ever probe right and is dryer than the rest of it.

Back