Rubbed and in the fridge overnight.
picture.php
Fat side up. Around 7:30PM.
picture.php
Early temp info.
picture.php

picture.php
picture.php

Oh and as far as the rub is concerned. I use a little SBR for a binder then coarse grind black pepper followed by Kosher salt. This time I used a light dusting of sweet mesquite seasoning from Costco (Kirkland). Saw it and thought I'd give it a try. Has a pretty strong smoky taste so I went pretty light on it. We shall see. I'm always experimenting.

Last edited:
6AM and wrapped. Been in a stall since around 4:30. As I said above I'm always experimenting. Gonna try wrapping until it hits the 195 mark then unwrap and let it go to IT of 200 or so to crisp up the bark a little. I don't care for the soft bark I tend to get when wrapped. We shall see.

picture.php

Around 9 I unwrapped it and put it back on the pit to finish. Temp is about 195 now. Going to take it to between 200 and 205. Then a very light wrap in paper and a towel and into a cooler for a couple of hours to rest. Want to crisp up the bark a little.

picture.php

I do need to work on my trimming technique. Noticed a few depressions that retained some of the juices. Always looking for ways to get better.

Last edited:
Done and done. I was extremely happy with the way it turned out. Bark really hardened up nicely after unwrapping. Flavor was excellent although I didn't really get much mesquite flavor. I'll put a little more on next time. Very tender and very moist. Really have no complaints. 16 hour cook time. Top IT was 203. Rested for about 2 hours in an ice chest.

picture.php
picture.php

picture.php

Back