(Not so) flat top

sudsandswine

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
I was trying to cook some tacos on my Blackstone 22” last night when all of a sudden I look down and see this:

Anyone had this happen before? I was cooking on medium-high burner settings. Over the past couple months it’s seemed as though the center was elevated a bit, as the oil runs towards the edges when I put it on. A distortion like this is a first for me though. It eventually went back to “flat-ish” but I’m not real enthused about what happened.

Lol. I don't have one but on some of the youtube reviews I watched, warping was an issue with the Blackstone.

Yeah, the "crowning" as they describe in that KB I can live with, but continued warping like this could....complicate.....some of the things I cook on it lol.

Can you post a pic of the bottom side of the griddle? I have that same model and have never had any warping. That is extreme.

Bob

Yikes!!!! Looks like some of the cookie sheets i have when i pull them from the oven. I'd contact Blackstone and see what they say since that is extreme. I had an issue with a Blackstone pizza oven and they sent me new parts for it. I still have a Blackstone 36" griddle and the surface doesnt warp like that.

Wow I can't believe that happened after being well used. I would definitely try to get BS to replace it.

Damn. You don't need any special gages or a straight edge to see that.

Can you post a pic of the bottom side of the griddle? I have that same model and have never had any warping. That is extreme.

Bob

I expected to see that a weld had popped loose, but as best I can tell while it’s cold, all the tack welds are intact.

I already got a reply from customer service stating it can be replaced, just need to hash out the details. So kudos to Blackstone on the prompt customer service.

I expected to see that a weld had popped loose, but as best I can tell while it’s cold, all the tack welds are intact.

I already got a reply from customer service stating it can be replaced, just need to hash out the details. So kudos to Blackstone on the prompt customer service.

It will be interesting to see if the design of the strong backs on the replacement griddle is the same or different.

It will be interesting to see if the design of the strong backs on the replacement griddle is the same or different.

I thought maybe one had popped off or one had a bad weld. I don't think those small tack welds are enough. I wonder if maybe it was employee/manufacturer error. Some of those supports look a bit bent already. I think that is the same design as on mine, but I think there should be longer/more welds than that.

Glad they are making it right. At least it warps so that the grease channels to the grease trap.

Bob

The upside down view has the back in the front of the pic and the front in the back, actually. So the front right corner that raised up in the first picture is in the back left corner in the second picture.

There is indeed a slight arc on some of the supports but it was hard to capture. Admittedly, I never looked at the underside before today so I can't say if it's any different than it was when I bought it new :becky:

I thought maybe one had popped off or one had a bad weld. I don't think those small tack welds are enough. I wonder if maybe it was employee/manufacturer error. Some of those supports look a bit bent already. I think that is the same design as on mine, but I think there should be longer/more welds than that.

Glad they are making it right. At least it warps so that the grease channels to the grease trap.

Bob

I noticed the deflection in some of them too. In my world, strong backs are either flat bar stock on edge.... or angle, and maybe there are certain reasons for the half-round stock? Those welds are pretty small. Common sense and good workmanship tells us that staggered welds should be placed so the stitch welds on one side are centered opposite the space on the other side of a joint, but I can't tell if that is the case here.

I was trying to cook some tacos on my Blackstone 22” last night when all of a sudden I look down and see this:

Anyone had this happen before? I was cooking on medium-high burner settings. Over the past couple months it’s seemed as though the center was elevated a bit, as the oil runs towards the edges when I put it on. A distortion like this is a first for me though. It eventually went back to “flat-ish” but I’m not real enthused about what happened.

Wow. That’s actually a safety issue, I’d hate to have a few lbs of bacon on there and have it suddenly drain off!

I'd be willing to bet that the tack weld on the middle strong back on the right side of the picture is broke. It might look attached, but there is a hell of a gap between the strongback and the griddle. Either way, if you get a replacement, I'd straighten as best as I could and put some good quality stitch welds on them.

I'd be willing to bet that the tack weld on the middle strong back on the right side of the picture is broke. It might look attached, but there is a hell of a gap between the strongback and the griddle. Either way, if you get a replacement, I'd straighten as best as I could and put some good quality stitch welds on them.

Well, it's not real hard to figure out how you would preheat the piece. :pound::pound:

Back