Frozen Brisket/butt for competiton

RX2006JE

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Just going to get an opinion on using a brisket and boston butt that has been frozen in your freezer that is still in date on it for a competition.

Use frozen Brisket, Butts, and Ribbies all the time.
Works fine.

Not for Chicken though :oops:

TIM

so let me ask this then say i buy a brisket/butt now and the competition is on 9/30/09 and the label on the brisket/butt says freeze by 9/8/09, and i do freeze it. can i thaw it out the day before the competition in my fridge and pack it in ice and off to the competition. Do i have to bring the original package that the brisket/butt was in, can i pre trim the brisket like i want as long as i do not season or marinate or inject it. I am going to do an FBA event and I also am going to do KCBS is that ok to do. I just wonder if the meat package says freeze or use by date and the competition is after that date is that ok.

It does not have to be in the cryovac at meat inspection
Just dont inject or marinate until after your inspection

Some brethren wet age their briskets. I believe the average is a full month. So that freeze by date may be a little conservative for what experience has shown the seasoned competitors here. If you buy end of Aug you could age until end of Sept as long as the temp is good and the cryo doesn't fail.

9 out of 10 judges prefer them cooked to frozen.

RX - What BBQ Sanction is the event, as they all have different rules. I do Florida and KCBS and both no issue if temp is below 40'F at time of meat inspection and meat can only be pre-trimmed and not rubbed / marinated. If you buy from a butcher, there is no "Sell By Date" on the butcher paper.

Again, the judges are worried about meat to warm, not frozen.

ok thanks guys the event will be a FBA, so if i understand right i can pre trim before i go and put in say some large ziplock bags and keep cold up until meat inspection

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]I have read the FBA and KCBS rules and it doesn't say anywhere in the rules that the meat has to be in the original packaging is that the case. I m thinking about getting several ribs and putting them in freezer bags and deep freezing them together and using later would those be fine to bring to a competition and pass meat inspection? Sorry for all the questions but I am trying to get clarification on the matter and I can't find the answer in the rules of either organization.[/FONT]

for those who use frozen products do you leave them in original package or to do put in something else

Back