Rodney Scott BBQ

TheHojo

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Anyone ever been to his place - I know he is known for his whole hog - but he also has brisket now on the menu - does he now have some offsets or does he do the brisket over direct heat/coals like he does with his whole hogs, ribs and chicken?

He has a place in Atlanta that I really want to try out. I will certainly report back if, and when, I get to go.

Wow, that's pretty cool that he's branching out. I hope he can keep the quality and consistency up at all of them. I ate at the location in Charleston a couple times when I visited 2 years ago. I don't recall brisket on the menu, but I had the best pulled pork I've ever had. I never knew it could be that good.

Rodney Scotts is now part of the Pihakis restaurant group. They are the Jim and Nick of that bbq chain that was sold to Roark Capital who also owns Jimmy Johns, Arby's Hardee's, and others.

Rodney Scott BBQ; Homewood, Alabama
All meats are cooked/smoked on site at the local restaurant.
All meats are done on the same type pit; no offsets. Wood is burned down to coals and shoveled into the trays in the bottom of the smokers. They had 4 of the smokers to use. They had 4 whole hogs on hand in the cooler. They said they usually cook hogs in the 150 lb. range.
Staff and service were great! When I asked about smokers, etc. I was immediately offered a tour of the pit area. Great folks! Unfortunately, the food was not as good as I hoped.
Went with my wife and another couple. Wife had catfish sandwich (very good). Friends both had 2 meat combo plate with whole hog and chicken. They said hog was pretty good and chicken was OK.
I had 3 meat combo with whole hog, brisket, and ribs. I thought the hog meat was the best meat on the plate, but not as good as I had hoped it would be. Brisket and ribs were both dry. Brisket had good taste, but was sliced very thin apparently to compensate for lack of tenderness and moisture. Ribs were a little on the tough side and very heavy in smoke flavor. Cole slaw was just a basic mayonnaise type slaw, not what I would expect to be served with South Carolina whole hog. Collard greens were good, but too many tough large stem pieces. Cornbread had good texture and color, but they need to leave out the sugar; bread, not cake. Hushpuppies were good and wife said her fries were good. Onion rings appeared to be just a premium frozen panko breaded type ring and I would not get them again. Overall food was OK and I would eat at Rodney Scott BBQ again, but only if with a group that really wanted to go there.
Overall rating for people and service; 5*
Food rating; 3*/5

Attachments

• bldg.jpg
    bldg.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 48
  • wood burning.jpg
    wood burning.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 48
  • pitts 1 2.jpg
    pitts 1 2.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 48
  • pits 3 4.jpg
    pits 3 4.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 48
  • fire trays.jpg
    fire trays.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 48
  • pit cook rack.jpg
    pit cook rack.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 48
  • hogs.jpg
    hogs.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 48
  • pit mftr.jpg
    pit mftr.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 48
  • plate.jpg
    plate.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 48
  • brisket.jpg
    brisket.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 49
  • hog meat.jpg
    hog meat.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 48
  • ribs.jpg
    ribs.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 48
  • rib bite.jpg
    rib bite.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 48
Wow, good review. That food doesn't look at all like what I had in Charleston. I tend not to order ribs and brisket in the south, unless it is a Texas-style BBQ joint -- I've been burned too often. I usually look and see how thinly sliced the brisket is on people's plates, but the pork doesn't look at all like what I had. I distinctly remember pulled pork, a bit chunky, and definitely not mashed pork. And it was extremely good. From the pictures you show, it seems generous giving it 3 stars. Anyway, good to know, thanks!

Thanks for the review, Mark. I could sense the disappointment in your words. It really bothers me to be so hyped up about a place only to find it to be sub-par to your expectations, kind of like looking behind the curtain and finding out the truth about the all powerful Oz. I'll try the one out in Atlanta one day and see if it rates the same.

Back