Highest Brisket Temp?

Fishwater2002

Full Fledged Farker
What’s the highest temp that you’ve seen finishing a brisket? I pulled a corned point at 209* yesterday & it still felt tight, I should have let it roll but I was worried about going over. Some areas probed like butter but the thickest part of the point just never got there, I cooked at 300* so I know it would go higher on a finish temp but it still felt like 209* was pretty high?

What’s the highest temp that you’ve seen finishing a brisket? I pulled a corned point at 209* yesterday & it still felt tight, I should have let it roll but I was worried about going over. Some areas probed like butter but the thickest part of the point just never got there, I cooked at 300* so I know it would go higher on a finish temp but it still felt like 209* was pretty high?

I have noticed when cooking corned meat it never probes like a non-corned piece of meat - always seems a little tighter to me

I can see cooking a brisket to 212°F if you're doing it hot and fast. If you're cooking low and slow seems to me that would give you shoe leather.

my recent brisket was around 212+...albeit that was unintended. Minus my understanding of my cooker at the time, it came out well, save the bottom/meat side.

At my house, water boils at 203° so I can't get much above that for a barbecued brisket.

For a corned beef brisket or pastrami, I finish in a pressure cooker at 8 to 10 PSI (230°+) so I can easily get above 203°.

At my house, water boils at 203° so I can't get much above that for a barbecued brisket.

For a corned beef brisket or pastrami, I finish in a pressure cooker at 8 to 10 PSI (230°+) so I can easily get above 203°.

How do you un-smoke the gasket of the pressure cooker? Anything aromatic really sticks to the gaskets, IME.

How do you un-smoke the gasket of the pressure cooker? Anything aromatic really sticks to the gaskets, IME.

What kind of pressure cooker are you using?

I have conventional pressure cookers not an Insta Pot, so I just wash the pot and gasket with dishwashing soap. But to be honest I've never noticed any gasket odors. The small amount of vented steam fills the kitchen with good smells. And my cook times are 30 to 40 minutes based on thickness.

On occasion when canning meats in my pressure canner I might get some siphoning. Processing times are 90 minutes and if I see a film of oil in the water I add some vinegar to the dishwashing soapy water, and also wash the jars after they cool down.

I have noticed when cooking corned meat it never probes like a non-corned piece of meat - always seems a little tighter to me

That was definitely the case with the point I did yesterday, it was still a little tight which worked out because I’m going to use the leftovers for hash.

I pulled a whole packer once at 200+ which I feared would never get probe tender and wasn't when I pulled it. I placed it wrapped in a cooler for over 6 hours. When I went to serve it it was perfect.

I pulled a whole packer once at 200+ which I feared would never get probe tender and wasn't when I pulled it. I placed it wrapped in a cooler for over 6 hours. When I went to serve it it was perfect.

That is what I was thinking. If a brisket were wrapped in towels and left to rest for a while, the over-run would take care of loosening up any tightness.

What kind of pressure cooker are you using?

I have conventional pressure cookers not an Insta Pot, so I just wash the pot and gasket with dishwashing soap. But to be honest I've never noticed any gasket odors. The small amount of vented steam fills the kitchen with good smells. And my cook times are 30 to 40 minutes based on thickness.

On occasion when canning meats in my pressure canner I might get some siphoning. Processing times are 90 minutes and if I see a film of oil in the water I add some vinegar to the dishwashing soapy water, and also wash the jars after they cool down.

I use the instapot when making bone broth or cooking meat to fall apart consistency for tacos/burritos. The unsupervised aspect is very appealing. The smell is not. I've gone to 2 runs through the top rack in the dishwasher to get rid of the odors. Probably killing the longevity of the gasket, but if you ever put in rice or something else light tasting - it will absorb gasket odor.
Nothing worked otherwise. Soap, vinegar, overnight soaks, dried outdoors in the sunlight, nothing.
I also have two fagors. They're great - but I use those for the shorter cooks.

As Duke mentioned - gasket material is different too. Didn't even cross my mind.

Back