MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 01-03-2013, 08:12 PM   #1
"Bone to Bark" BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Default Sauce for Comp Chicken

Looking for some recommendations on a thicker, sweet sauce that's working for you
in competition. I would prefer a commercial brand that I can tweak a little bit. Chicken has been our nemesis, so we're gonna change things up a little bit, all the way around!

Old 01-03-2013, 08:15 PM   #2
Eggspert
Full Fledged Farker

Blues Hog
Eggspert is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-03-2013, 10:17 PM   #3
altomari8868
On the road to being a farker

Plowboys 180
altomari8868 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-03-2013, 10:22 PM   #4
dmprantz
is One Chatty Farker

Bubba Q Sweet

(I just wanted you to hae options :) )

dmp

dmprantz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-04-2013, 02:01 AM   #5
motoeric
Babbling Farker

Head Country

Eric

A BBQ Brethren Publication
2 Thessalonians 2:15
Exodus 12:9
motoeric is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-04-2013, 05:29 AM   #6
New Pal Frank
is one Smokin' Farker

X2 on the Plowboys 180. It's just fine straight out of the bottle. Several chicken calls last season.
Husband & Wife Team (so far)

[B][I][COLOR=magenta][U]Hug Hogs Competition BBQ Team[/U] [/COLOR][/I][/B]
[B][I][COLOR=black][U]New Palestine IN[/U][/COLOR][/I][/B]
New Pal Frank is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-04-2013, 05:51 AM   #7
ThomEmery
Babbling Farker

Butchers

Team What Wood Jesus Que?

Www.bbqthom.com
ThomEmery is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-04-2013, 07:23 AM   #8
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Hance

As at every table at every competition you'll seat a different combination of judges, every competition will be different. That said, in general, from what I've seen historically and recently from behind the judging table, what you're asking for is 100% opposite of what wins.

You're asking for "thicker, sweet sauce". Particularly, the thicker the sauce, averages being averages, the more the sauce masks the flavor of the meat. Some judges will judge on the sauce flavor alone, for sure. But plenty DONT. Averages being averages, thinner sauces do much better as they tend to enhance the meat flavors (IMHO). Sweet, well, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I do think you can get too sweet, just like too salty, or too spicy, or not spicy enough, etc.

It sounds to me like you need to do a sauce tasting party; cook up a bunch of your BBQ (ala. chicken as you said above) and make 15-20 base sauces and try them with/on your chicken. I think you'll find that many great tasting sauces dont work worth a flip on your BBQ for one reason or another (ala. it doesnt work well with the wood you're smoking with, or conflicts with the spices in your rub and/or injection). If it were me (and I have been there and done this, more than one time too), I'd start will all of the sauces listed above plus an additional 10 to 12 others. I also suggest that you have some with smoke flavorings in them, and some that dont. I know when we (yes, me, the other members of my team, plus our spouses, and another 6 CBJ's) did this we were very surprised at what worked better and what didnt work at all. I had some fan-dang-tastic tasting sauces that you could eat all by themselves that just absolutely SUCKED when put on my/our BBQ. So much so that on the last time we did this all 12 of us bet on which sauce would taste best. We all LOST.
Was Lang 84DX, now Bubba Grills 250R and many Weber grills
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-04-2013, 10:57 AM   #9
bbq.tom
is One Chatty Farker

Lake Dogs said it right (IMHO), thick and sweet aren't what MANY judges are looking for.

Personally, I prefer a thin sauce with a light flavor to enhance the natural flavor of the meat. If all I can taste is sauce then you won't get a great score from me - just saying! A little sweetness is good if balanced with other characteristics - BUT NOT overpowering the flavor of the meat.

One more thing - Blues Hog has a VERY distinctive flavor that masks the flavor of any meat that it is used on! I know that it has been a winner in the past, but I think that MANY judges (me included) are looking more for sauce that enhances the flavor not masks the flavor.
[SIZE=1][COLOR=#a0522d]CBJ - MBN, NCBS, NCPC, SBN[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=1][COLOR=#a0522d]CTC - KCBS[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=1][COLOR=#a0522d]4 Lil' Pigs Competition BBQ Team[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=1][COLOR=#a0522d]270-Sumo, LANG, BDS, & Holland Epic[/COLOR][/SIZE]
bbq.tom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-04-2013, 11:32 AM   #10
Mexi "Q" Tioner
Full Fledged Farker

I love/use BH and I do agree that BH does mask the flavor of meat if you apply too much, so I usually mix it w/a sauce that has a lil heat/kick to it to counter the sweetness. Mixing the 2 sauces also seems to cut down on the thickness of BH imo.

Old 01-04-2013, 04:10 PM   #11
JerryA
On the road to being a farker

Rooftop BBQ Sauce

Loot N' Booty BBQ Sauces and Rubs

Green Mountain Grills
JerryA is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-04-2013, 06:11 PM   #12
powerpig
Full Fledged Farker

Not to hijack the thread, but this leads me to a question......I've come up with a mild spicy mustard based sauce and the people who taste it love it.

Do you think a mustard based sauce would do well in KCBS or any other comps? Input would be appreciated.
powerpig is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-04-2013, 06:25 PM   #13
Rich Parker
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerpig View Post
Not to hijack the thread, but this leads me to a question......I've come up with a mild spicy mustard based sauce and the people who taste it love it.

Do you think a mustard based sauce would do well in KCBS or any other comps? Input would be appreciated.
At comps you need to cook excellent BBQ that will appeal to the masses, and I don't think mustard sauces appeal to the masses.

Old 01-04-2013, 07:53 PM   #14
dmprantz
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:

In your state, it's a gamble, but it might pay off. Never forget that when you do competition BBQ, you are turning food into judges, not people.

dmp

dmprantz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-04-2013, 08:08 PM   #15
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Hance

Quote:

It's a good/legitimate question, and I think they answered it above. As further evidence, I've run into probably 30 over time with mustard sauces. Of the 30, 29 finished very close to last. The one time it wasnt that far down it was probably the best mustard sauce BY FAR I've ever had, but it conflicted with the spices put on the meat, and so it scored middle-of-the-pack...

I've never seen one win, and I kinda like them in general. IF I were to submit a mustard sauce in a competition, I'd do it in a sanctioning body that allows sauce presented on the side and allows multiple sauces presented (ala. MBN or GBA), so that if they dont like the mustard sauce they can like the other sauce instead.
Was Lang 84DX, now Bubba Grills 250R and many Weber grills
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote