MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-04-2013, 08:46 PM   #16
Daggs
is one Smokin' Farker

I'm a big fan of frontier lump from lowes!

Old 02-04-2013, 09:36 PM   #17
yakdung
is One Chatty Farker

I just tried HEB Grand Champion Charcoal it was half the price as the name brand stuff. I like it and will purchase it again.

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lump.htm

Last edited by yakdung; 02-04-2013 at 10:33 PM..
yakdung is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-04-2013, 09:46 PM   #18
Eggspert
Full Fledged Farker

We have tried a lot of Charcoal. Our favorites in no particular order are Big Green Egg, Good One, and Wicked Good. Royal Oak from Walmart in the orange bag, it has to say "made in the USA" on the back. NOT made in Mexico. That works good if you need to get stuff hot! Works great for chicken, steaks, hot wings, and burgers. Much cheaper then previous brands that I mentioned.

Has anyone else noticed that charcoal prices are going through the roof? I think it is so regulated now and the increase price of shipping is getting the stuff out of control. I might have to watch that youtube video on how to make your own lump charcoal and give it a try if they keep raising the price.

Once you go lump you never go back to briquets. I can taste them a million miles away, tastes like lighter fluid and/or plastic.

Eggspert BBQ
Eggspert is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-04-2013, 10:24 PM   #19
flyingbassman5
is one Smokin' Farker

I use Stubb's for the smokers and for the kettle I use lump or any kind of cheap briquette I can find. I don't ever cook long enough on the kettle to be worried about a foul taste.

Stubb's is 95% ground up hardwood and 5% Vegetable binder. I used to use Royal Oak lump in my Coleman but I honestly can't tell the difference between the Stubb's and the RO. I moved to the Stubb's because it burns more evenly than lump but I still like the lump for grilling steaks.

Old 02-04-2013, 11:05 PM   #20
Harbormaster
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Clark

If you have a Do It Best hardware store in your area, check their website. You can order Royal Oak Chef's Select Natural Briquettes in 40 lb bags and they will ship to the store for free.
I was a die hard lump guy for years but regular availability lacked, so I have switched to these briquettes almost exclusively. They smell like lump when they burn, are very consistent and work great in a WSM or in a kettle.
All natural charcoal with a vegetable starch binder.
Brinkman Cimmaron.
"For when democracy becomes tyranny, those of us with rifles still get to vote"
Harbormaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-04-2013, 11:20 PM   #21
MisterChrister
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Take Clark's advice with a grain of salt. He just can't taste the difference from standing in clouds of smoke from TEN WSMs. Plus he drinks A LOT of whiskey. I think he used to make his own lump from the barrels it shipped to him in but now he buys it by the tanker truck full and has to buy charcoal again. Plus he can't find his retort anymore......it got lost in the Weber abyss.....

Old 02-05-2013, 05:37 AM   #22
BigTone
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Thanks for all the great advice, Looks like im just going to have to experiment with some of these to see what I like the most. Sounds like Im going to have a ton of BBQ to cook, sounds like a win-win!!!
BigTone is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-05-2013, 05:51 AM   #23
El Ropo
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Roger

I'd look for some decent lump charcoal if I were in your shoes. Sure Stubbs is OK, KF comp is OK, KF regular is not so OK in my book.

In a UDS. I love a mix of half briquettes of any brand and half good quality lump, mixed up real good and packed into the fire basket with 4-6 half fist sized chunks of wood buried at different depths. Toss on 12ish fully lit briqs and it's always worked great for me.

2016 Fuji Absolute 2.0 LE (for burning off all the great BBQ)
El Ropo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-05-2013, 10:00 AM   #24
charrederhead
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbormaster View Post
If you have a Do It Best hardware store in your area, check their website. You can order Royal Oak Chef's Select Natural Briquettes in 40 lb bags and they will ship to the store for free.
I was a die hard lump guy for years but regular availability lacked, so I have switched to these briquettes almost exclusively. They smell like lump when they burn, are very consistent and work great in a WSM or in a kettle.
All natural charcoal with a vegetable starch binder.
Do you know if there's much less ash than KBB?

Old 02-05-2013, 11:00 AM   #25
Harbormaster
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Clark

Quote:
Originally Posted by charrederhead View Post
Do you know if there's much less ash than KBB?
None of my cookers have ever seen KBB,so I can't offer an objective opinion.
However, the ROCS produces about as much ash as lump, so I would say it produces a LOT less ash. I never have vent clogging issues using ROCS even when doing very long cooks in my WSMs.
Brinkman Cimmaron.
"For when democracy becomes tyranny, those of us with rifles still get to vote"
Harbormaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 02-05-2013, 11:32 AM   #26
J-Rod
is One Chatty Farker

The only thing I can add is to let the coals "settle in". Meaning after you pour the lit coals onto the unlit coals in your coal basket, let the lit ones heat up the unlit ones so as to burn off those nasty fumes created when they light up. This simple step will not only keep a nasty flavor from ending up in your food but it'll also allow time for your pit to come to temp and start puffing out thin blue smoke which is what you want.

Old 02-05-2013, 06:09 PM   #27
sdbbq1234
is One Chatty Farker

Royal Oak Chefs Blend is about the cleanest smelling, and less ash producing charcoal I have found.

You try it once, and you will know what I mean.

wallace

- Life Is Good But BBQ Is Better
- BWS - Fat Boy
- WSM 22.5
- A bunch on other outdoor cooking stuff.
- KCBS CBJ# 58657
- MABA Member

"Take luck!"
sdbbq1234 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-05-2013, 07:39 PM   #28
chriscw81
is One Chatty Farker

get yourself some good quality lump, it's light years ahead of briquettes. that being said, i do still use regular kingsford too because i buy it when its on sale around labor day. i only use lump for long cooks though. i should consider mixing lump and briquettes for long cooks though, ive never done it.

[B][SIZE=1][COLOR=black]UDS | [COLOR=blue]Blue[/COLOR] Weber Performer Platinum | Chargriller Akorn | 22.5 Weber OTG | WSJ Gold | Mini WSM | Maverick ET-73 | [COLOR=blue]Blue [/COLOR][COLOR=black]Thermapen | Maverick PT-100 |[/COLOR] Gasser(charcoal chimney starter)[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]
chriscw81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-05-2013, 08:43 PM   #29
Neonnblack
Full Fledged Farker

Well, Chris i put half and half stubb briq and RO lump with a few chunks of apple. Was maybe 12 pounds total about 7-8 inches tall in a 17.5 inch diam basket. I have cooked for ~12 hours on it so far and i have maybe another 3-4 left in the basket. minimal ash on the bottom (minimal to me, anyways i dont make a big deal out of it).
Neonnblack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-05-2013, 09:51 PM   #30
charrederhead
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbormaster View Post
None of my cookers have ever seen KBB,so I can't offer an objective opinion.
However, the ROCS produces about as much ash as lump, so I would say it produces a LOT less ash. I never have vent clogging issues using ROCS even when doing very long cooks in my WSMs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdbbq1234 View Post
Royal Oak Chefs Blend is about the cleanest smelling, and less ash producing charcoal I have found.

You try it once, and you will know what I mean.

wallace

Based on ^^^ and Harbormaster's suggestion, I'm gonna give it a try. I found a hardware store about 10 miles away that will honor the web price and do the free shipping.