MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-11-2012, 08:52 AM   #16
jasonjax
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jason

I have beaten the crap out of my ET-732 over a couple of years and it is still going strong with the exception of the wiring coming loose on the cooker side of the wire. I'm going to get some heat-shrink tubing and see if that works for now, but overall, I'd say it has held up incredibly well after being dropped a couple dozen times and being subjected to a lot of overall use.
jasonjax is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-11-2012, 08:58 AM   #17
Porcine Perfection
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wh1skey6 View Post
I would have to disagree with this. Crimps in any wire will eventually cause the wires to break - most likely within the insulation.

My daughter constantly wraps her headphones in awkward loops and the always have the same results - broken wire somewhere.

You don't have to baby them but I wouldn't just lay the wires on the edge and shut the door on them either.
I agree that with such a thin gauge wire the wire will break if folded or crimped. When these probes were originally designed they were not intended for the use that we use them for. That being said, when I had my ET-732 I used and a strain relief bushing and was very careful. Probes went bad after three cooks. With the K type probes you can disconnect the plug and add a layer of metal sheathing which really helps.

Old 12-11-2012, 09:03 AM   #18
SirPorkaLot
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : John

I have had two Maverick thermos in the past 5 years. The 1st one was an ET-73 that was replaced by a ET-732 2 years ago.

I have ordered replacement probes twice in 5 years.

Oh yea. I use mine several times a month.

Not sure where the bad reviews are from, but you won't get one here

Old 12-11-2012, 09:35 AM   #19
fingerlickin'
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by code3rrt View Post
Ive had my ET732 for a couple years now, no complaints.

Ditto.

Just buy the Maverick. All my original probes still work fine.

"I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - [I]Tommy Callahan III[/I][/COLOR][/COLOR]
[B][SIZE=2][COLOR=DarkGreen][SIZE=3][SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]
[/COLOR][/SIZE] [SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]Backwoods Ext. Party,[/COLOR][/SIZE][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE][COLOR=DarkGreen] [COLOR=Black]Vision Kamado,[/COLOR][/COLOR][/B][B][COLOR=DarkGreen][COLOR=DarkGreen][B][COLOR=Black] 22" WSM[/COLOR][/B],[/COLOR] 22.5 Weber OTS, [/COLOR][/B][COLOR=DarkGreen][B]Mini WSM, [/B][COLOR=Red][B] UDS "No.8"[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR]

[COLOR=Teal] [COLOR=Black][B][COLOR=DarkSlateGray]Napkin Killers BBQ[/COLOR]
[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR]
fingerlickin' is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-11-2012, 10:57 AM   #20
aawa
Babbling Farker

I have had my ET732 for over 6 months and use them 2-4times a week. I don't baby them, but I dont beat them up either. I make sure that the wires arent kinked, I dont immerse the whole probe when washing them, and I dont pull on the probe from the wire. The only probe of mine that has went bad was the one my roommate washed and he submersed the whole probe for an extended amount of time while doing dishes.

As for using the probes, i feed them through the exhaust vents of my Mini and my OTG without any issues at all. If you use the probes that come with the unit, it might be too short to reach a table, and you will just need to hang it off the handles.

Old 12-11-2012, 11:21 AM   #21
BobM
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by C J View Post
The ET-732 looks to be ideal, and it's decently priced, but I've read nothing but bad reviews on it. Bad probes, inconsistent temperatures, etc.
A bad probe manifests itself in an inconsistent reading, so they are really the same problem.

I got an ET-732 this past April. After about 10 cooks, the stock 3' pit probe went bad. I have a probe grommet in the side of my cooker, never crimped the wire and never got the probe or wire wet.

I bought a 6' replacement pit probe and the unit works fine again.

Bob
| [COLOR=RoyalBlue][COLOR=Red]Weber[/COLOR] 18 1/2" & 22 1/2" WSM[/COLOR], [COLOR=SeaGreen]22 1/2" & 26 3/4" OTG[/COLOR][COLOR=DimGray][COLOR=Black],[/COLOR] [COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]Genesis S-330[/COLOR][/COLOR] |[COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Black]|[/COLOR] BBQ Guru CyberQ WiFi [/COLOR]| [COLOR=DarkOrange]Maverick ET-732[/COLOR] | [COLOR=Gray]Gray Thermapen[/COLOR] |
BobM is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-11-2012, 01:51 PM   #22
C J
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aawa View Post
I have had my ET732 for over 6 months and use them 2-4times a week. I don't baby them, but I dont beat them up either. I make sure that the wires arent kinked, I dont immerse the whole probe when washing them, and I dont pull on the probe from the wire. The only probe of mine that has went bad was the one my roommate washed and he submersed the whole probe for an extended amount of time while doing dishes.

As for using the probes, i feed them through the exhaust vents of my Mini and my OTG without any issues at all. If you use the probes that come with the unit, it might be too short to reach a table, and you will just need to hang it off the handles.
How long are the stock probes? From what I understand, the probes are about $20 each, aren't they? That's close to $100 for the Maverick setup. Might be worth getting the Thermoworks one, although that wireless ability is nice.
C J is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-11-2012, 02:07 PM   #23
aawa
Babbling Farker

Quote:
How long are the stock probes? From what I understand, the probes are about $20 each, aren't they? That's close to $100 for the Maverick setup. Might be worth getting the Thermoworks one, although that wireless ability is nice.
The probes are I believe either 3 or 4 ft. They are long enough so that you can hang the unit off the handles of a Kettle or the mini. If you want to get a 6ft probe you can place the unit on a table near by.

You are thinking too deeply into the whole 2 probe thermometer. The stock unit works great (as approved by numerous brethern) If you are within warranty period Maverick will replace items that are defective. If you are hesitant to get the Maverick, it might put your mind at ease a little bit more than Big Green Egg is willing to put their name on the device and sell it as an eggsesory ( http://www.biggreenegg.com/eggcessor...s-thermometer/)

Remember though you get what you pay for. The thermoworks dual probe setup is a very nice setup. My co-worker has one and loves it. The overall quality of the unit is higher than the Maverick ET-732. But if you want a remote receiver you can carry around the house, you will have to find another solution for you as they do not provide one.

Old 12-11-2012, 02:18 PM   #24
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Name/Nickname : Tim

People are quick to post bad experiences.
Folks who have no problems are quiet and just go about their business.
Like when I was in the military. Sit around the bar in the NCO of Officer's Club and all you heard was bitchin' and whinin' but very little about the good and great things going on. .

I have had my 732 for several years with nary a problem other than a bad probe before I learned to put "heat shrink" tubing on the cable to probe junction.
Solved the probe problem not only for my Maverick, but my Taylor probes.

5-0 has the dual function 6'probes on sale regularly for about $12.50 each.
Great upgrade!!!

Great product.

TIM

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-11-2012, 02:39 PM   #25
C J

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Kapn View Post
People are quick to post bad experiences.
Folks who have no problems are quiet and just go about their business.
Like when I was in the military. Sit around the bar in the NCO of Officer's Club and all you heard was bitchin' and whinin' but very little about the good and great things going on. .

I have had my 732 for several years with nary a problem other than a bad probe before I learned to put "heat shrink" tubing on the cable to probe junction.
Solved the probe problem not only for my Maverick, but my Taylor probes.

Great upgrade!!!

Great product.

TIM
What's the "heat shrink" tubing you are talking about? That sounds like a good solution. Sorry, I'm new here.

Old 12-11-2012, 02:40 PM   #26
Wh1skey6
Knows what a fatty is.

I've heard part of the issue with the probes going bad has to do with the pit probe sitting on the grate itself. I've always inserted mine into a potato or an onion or an apple.

Old 12-11-2012, 02:41 PM   #27
C J

Quote:
Originally Posted by aawa View Post
The probes are I believe either 3 or 4 ft. They are long enough so that you can hang the unit off the handles of a Kettle or the mini. If you want to get a 6ft probe you can place the unit on a table near by.

You are thinking too deeply into the whole 2 probe thermometer. The stock unit works great (as approved by numerous brethern) If you are within warranty period Maverick will replace items that are defective. If you are hesitant to get the Maverick, it might put your mind at ease a little bit more than Big Green Egg is willing to put their name on the device and sell it as an eggsesory ( http://www.biggreenegg.com/eggcessor...s-thermometer/)

Remember though you get what you pay for. The thermoworks dual probe setup is a very nice setup. My co-worker has one and loves it. The overall quality of the unit is higher than the Maverick ET-732. But if you want a remote receiver you can carry around the house, you will have to find another solution for you as they do not provide one.
I would think 3-4 ft would be plenty for what I need it for. I'll only be using it on a mini wsm.

It is reassuring that the BGE folks would put their name on the product. They're a quality brand.

I have a lot to think about. Thing is, I don't even have my mini WSM built yet. My Vasconia pot arrives on Thursday. I hope it fits better than the IMUSA did.

Old 12-11-2012, 02:46 PM   #28
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
What's the "heat shrink" tubing you are talking about? That sounds like a good solution. Sorry, I'm new here.
No problem--pick up some 1/4" heat shrink tubing from any hardware store.
Use a piece maybe 2-2.5" long and "shrink" it over the junction of the cable and the probe. Use a hair dryer, lighter, or any moderate heat source.
Just need shrinking enough to hold it in place--it will seal up fine when in the smoker heat.
It keeps the moisture out of the junction and reinforces it.

Has solved all of my probe problems for both my Maverick and my Taylor's.

TIM

Old 12-11-2012, 05:00 PM   #29
5-0 BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Kapn View Post

Great upgrade!!!
Yes sir! I still have them on sale. I forgot to change the Buy 2 or more price back to what it should be. So right now it is still Buy 2 for $25.00. My laziness and busy work schedule has created a bargain. http://www.bbqequipmentstore.com/Mav...brid-Probe.htm
[B]The BBQ Equipment Store[/B]
[URL="http://www.BBQEQUIPMENTSTORE.COM/?sourceCode=bbq-brethren"]www.bbqequipmentstore.com[/URL]
[COLOR=red][B][COLOR=red][B]Proud 2015 Sponsor of Christmas City BBQ, Astro Pigs and Drilling and Grilling[/B][/COLOR][/B]
[/COLOR]No Thermapen Here, I have a Water & Shock Resistant Backlit Maverick PT-100BBQ
500 Gal Stickburner - Backwoods Gator, Red Kamado Joe, Primo Oval XL, Maverick Competition Smoker CS-55 and Many Others
5-0 BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-11-2012, 05:08 PM   #30
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5-0 BBQ View Post
Yes sir! I still have them on sale. I forgot to change the Buy 2 or more price back to what it should be. So right now it is still Buy 2 for $25.00. My laziness and busy work schedule has created a bargain. http://www.bbqequipmentstore.com/Mav...brid-Probe.htm
That FOLKs is a deal!!

TIM