MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-09-2017, 06:10 PM   #166
Bob C Cue
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhair75 View Post
I do so enjoy the process. Even cooking inside, I enjoy the long cooks. Spaghetti day at my house starts in the early morning and lasts most of the day
Boy you must really like overcooked pasta!
Thermapen Classic
Thermoworks Smoke

Ephesians 2:8-9
For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast
Bob C Cue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-09-2017, 07:39 PM   #167
smoke ninja
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric In STL View Post
has anyone tried to minion with lump in a wsm and how long of a burn time did u get?
Lumps a different animal. Burn times vary due to irregularities in the pieces. When using lump in a wsm try and pack tightly, breaking large pieces if needed. Burn times are slighty less per volume but comparable if done properly

Old 12-10-2017, 10:07 AM   #168
Brew Crew
Knows what a fatty is.

Be it as may, but you just can't beat a stick burner. Out of most of my fellow bbq buddies I am the only sticker left. Funny how they love my q...

Thanks from: --->
Old 12-10-2017, 11:36 AM   #169
ChrisBarb
is one Smokin' Farker

Reading through this thread, I am amazed at the stick burner snobbery. It is the cook, not the cooker that truly matters. I would put Harry Soo and his WSM's up against anyone and their $10,000 Shirleys (not a knock on Shirley's, just making a point).

Old 12-10-2017, 12:07 PM   #170
smoke ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBarb View Post
Reading through this thread, I am amazed at the stick burner snobbery. It is the cook, not the cooker that truly matters. I would put Harry Soo and his WSM's up against anyone and their $10,000 Shirleys (not a knock on Shirley's, just making a point).
Wow. I I've read this thread differnt. Lots of open minds. Many have stated they think wood beats charcoal without being a snob about it. Im a wood guy but it was cold last night and i was lazy so ran charcoal. I doubt my brisket will be my personal favorite but it was a compromise to me. Ive considered that Harry soo and the likes are just better at running a wsm on charcoal then me. Ill make up my short coming by burning sticks until i can get on their level

And yes that was a jab at Shirley owners. Actually they are priced fairly i think a patio model could be had for under $2000. They are a deal when you consider how well they hold value. The go for retail and above on the secondary market, probably a factor of wait times

Old 12-10-2017, 12:11 PM   #171
JokerBroker
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Reading through this thread, I am amazed at the stick burner snobbery.
It's funny how different people can read through the same thread and get a totally different takeaway. I didn't sense any snobbery on behalf of stick burners. I got the impression, along with my own personal experience, that if you are willing and able to take the time to tend to a wood fire, you can achieve results that the majority of people in the BBQ world would concede are, at a minimum, a little bit better than any other type of cooker available and in some cases, quite a bit better. That overall belief from numerous sources is what enticed me to invest in an offset and now that I own one, I'm convinced it's true even more. My other takeaway is that a well designed stick burner is easier to maintain temps than a poorly designed one, which I already knew.

Old 12-10-2017, 12:29 PM   #172
ChrisBarb
is one Smokin' Farker

Maybe I shouldn't have said "snobbery". My point was that stick burners are not inherently better than charcoal burners. It always comes down to the skill of the cook.

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-10-2017, 12:53 PM   #173
smoke ninja

Quote:
Maybe I shouldn't have said "snobbery". My point was that stick burners are not inherently better than charcoal burners. It always comes down to the skill of the cook.

Dont back pedal too fast.

i think a # of us do have the opinion that for our tastes all things being equal wood is better.

One plus for charcoal is being able to focus more on things instead of fire management, something that can help in comp settings where true wood bbq flavor may not be the most important.

These are of couse opinions. I feel that stick burners with indirect heat are better for certain types/styles of bbq. Same goes for pits with direct fire heat. The pit is imperative to the style. Im not making texas brisket the same on a weber or carolina pork shoulder on an egg. Many say its the cook not the cooker but the cooker has an effect on the bbq.......imho

Old 12-10-2017, 01:05 PM   #174
JokerBroker
On the road to being a farker

Charcoal is for heat and wood is for flavor. Having said that, the quality of the raw food and the seasonings are far more important than the heat source and the biggest thing is getting the food off of the heat at the right internal temperature.

Old 12-10-2017, 01:33 PM   #175
el luchador
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : EL Luchador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brew Crew View Post
Be it as may, but you just can't beat a stick burner. Out of most of my fellow bbq buddies I am the only sticker left. Funny how they love my q...
I wonder if they would still love your Q if you used a charcoal burner. my guess would be yes

Quote:
I think I understood where you were coming from. the thread has been positive so far but one could get the impression that the general consensus is that wood is a better flavor than charcoal. I would agree that wood is probably better than charcoal briquettes, but maybe not better than roaring embers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke ninja View Post

i think a # of us do have the opinion that for our tastes all things being equal wood is better.

One plus for charcoal is being able to focus more on things instead of fire management, something that can help in comp settings where true wood bbq flavor may not be the most important.

These are of couse opinions. I feel that stick burners with indirect heat are better for certain types/styles of bbq. Same goes for pits with direct fire heat. The pit is imperative to the style. Im not making texas brisket the same on a weber or carolina pork shoulder on an egg. Many say its the cook not the cooker but the cooker has an effect on the bbq.......imho
of the five esses that make up smoked food (salty, spicy, savory, sweet, smoky) I think you are saying that the smoky flavor of wood burners is better than charcoal burners. many agree with you and its a valid opinion.

here is my thinking- the holy grail of smoked food is to be barely able to taste the smoke. wood burners win this battle vs briquettes( which make up 95% of the charcoal sold in the US)
but it also seems that, while it is a lot of work, pure burning wood embers have a better flavor than using wood.

Ive always found it interesting that a lot of the global smoked food in other parts of the world use charcoal and not wood. could it be that wood smoked food is an acquired taste?
el luchador is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-10-2017, 01:34 PM   #176
Moose

Name/Nickname : Richard

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke ninja View Post

I couldn't agree more, Ninja. ssv3 really got my curiosity piqued when he told me the flavor profile he got from his stickburner was totally different than that from a drum or kamado. This led me to purchase an Oklahoma Joe Highland that I made some mods to. First cook was ribs, and I can say the flavor was indeed different than my other cookers, in addition to being significantly better, IMHO.

After reading through enough threads about stickbuners, I've come to the realization that a stickburner simply won't provide the kind of temp control that other cookers do, and that's not only OK, but part of the fun. I like the intimacy I get from tending a fire regularly vs a set and forget kind of cooker.
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-10-2017, 01:38 PM   #177
Rockinar
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:

You said "Its the cook, not the cooker" and "It ALWAYS comes down to the skill of the cook".

Everyone is going to cheerlead for whatever cooker they have and claim their smoker is just as goos as an offset. I get that. But the fact is nobody is lining up for BBQ at 3AM at any place that does not use offsets. And thats for a reason.
Rockinar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-10-2017, 01:43 PM   #178
SmokePigTails
Knows what a fatty is.

This entire conversation make me wonder if we will see more Hybrid Cookers, like the M1 and Ironside Smokers. Not sure if there are any other pit builders making them yet. Then again some pellet units sound like they are producing some amazing and easier Q.
SmokePigTails is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-10-2017, 02:13 PM   #179
pjtexas1

Name/Nickname : Texas Pete

I'll add my experience...
I've owned nearly every type of charcoal cooker and I always will. They produce some really good stuff. That being said the most compliments I get come off my stick burner. Nobody has ever complained about food from any cooker though.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
SF 24x36 Midnight Edition / Mak 1-Star /Abe's 48" Insulated Cabinet / 22.5 OTG / 28" BS / Jimmy with CB Roti and pizza kit / Red Box on custom cart / Char-Griller Kettle / Barrel House Cooker / Pit Boss Copperhead / Char-Griller Akorn Jr

pjtexas1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-10-2017, 02:24 PM   #180
jasonjax
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jason

vinyl = stick burner
cassette = charcoal
CD = gas
blu-ray = pellets

jasonjax is offline   Reply With Quote