Inspire me, Brethren!

BuffettFan

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Going camping next week with some friends and their 8 y.o. daughter.
He and I do the majority of the cooking, so naturally there's a bit of competition between us. 4 nights, 2 suppers each.
His dishes are a seafood boil and crab stuffed salmon.
Mine were ribeyes and I was going to do home ground brisket burgers and home made brats.
My sides will be stuffed onions and bourbon brown sugar Brussels sprouts.
Thinking I might change the burgers and brats out for something more high end.
We'll be boating most of the day, so it can't take more than a couple hours to cook. Prep can be done in advance.
Cookers available are a 22.5" Weber with rotisserie, a Blackstone Tailgater grill/griddle combo, a Coleman stove and the propane lobster pot.

Inspire me please!

Excellent! Sounds like a really nice way to spend some time!

FWIW: I think it depends on who you are creating the meals for and what their preferences are. Whenever I camp with kids who may not have a lot of experience camping (outside of Scouts), I think it can make a huge difference for the kids if they have things available that they REALLY enjoy. So, if the 8 year old really likes burgers and mac n cheese, make sure you have the versions of burgers and mac n cheese that she'll remember fondly for the rest of her life. Would also toss in some treats that you know will go over well. :-D

If cooking to impress your buds, then higher end cuts of meat work well and may not take a lot of time to cook (e.g., rib eyes hot and fast).

Rotisserie to me screams either whole chickens or prime rib.

Good luck!

Bruce

- Stuffed and smoked pork chops
- French pork rib rack
- Beef wellington
- Lamb chops with chimichurri
- Smoked Tri-Tip Tacos
- Stuffed and rolled pork loin (feta/spinach/olives or anything you like)
- Brisket nachos spread out across an entire picnic table
- Bacon wrapped stuffed turkey breast on your rotisserie
- leg of lamb with mint jelly

Great suggestions!
You've got my wheels turning.
The 8 y.o. eats like an adult, actually better than my wife!
One of her favs is lengua tacos. My wife won't touch them, even after we fed her some without telling her what is was. She was going back for more until she found out.

Both menus sound great to me. Your menu actually sounds better to me especially while camping. A nice ribeye always goes well with some loaded baked taters, some bacon wrapped asparagus, even some stuffed or wooster mushrooms. As for the burgers, ground brisket is already a winner. Maybe some brioche buns, some quality cheese, bacon.......that would make it right there. And brats....shoot! Maybe some bangers and mash? They wouldn't expect that and not hard to make and really good.

Have fun! Sounds like a great time!

Bob

Jerk chicken,,,,thighs are the best ( spice )
A real Greek salad,,,(no lettuce) ( cool )
A couple of nicely marbled thick NY strips,,,,med. rare sliced and dressed with chimichurri (nice touch of acidity )
Warm potato salad ( cuz potato salad belongs )
(A nice picanha in lieu of the NY strips would be a treat also)

Last edited:
Don't get me wrong, I like campfire or Dutch oven cooking but I like to get creative on some of the evening meals and prepare them at home in foil pans and freeze them. For cooking I'll bank some coals amongst rocks to make a reheating fire rather than a grilling fire. Pans of enchiladas, lasagna, chicken and noodles, turkey and dressing, paella etc. are some of my favorites.

Greygoose, you read my mind!
Greek Salad is already on the menu. I can't stand lettuce!

Thirdeye, prepping ahead is what I love to do.
Do the work before, look like a genius when you break it out!
I'm going to sous vide the ribeyes before we leave, as well as the bacon for the breakfasts.

Plan to chop all the veg as well.

Will there be refrigeration available? If so, Google Chocolate Lasagna. No one will remember any of the mains after that.

I have a cool idea and you can keep the burgers, just amp them up...stuffed burgers. You can stuff them with almost anything, including Mac and cheese. Definitely better than your average burger!

Andy, that chocolate lasagna looks awesome!
I'm going to make one, maybe not for this trip, but certainly in the near future.

Lots of great ideas guys, thanks!
I think I'm sticking with the burgers and brats for this trip, but we'll be camping with them again, so I'll be looking for something different.

I am with you to stick with the brats especially being homemade and the same goes for the brisket burgers topped with a nice gruyere and garlic butter toasted buns

Back