Brick Oven Ribs

jonumberone

Reaction score
Threw some ribs in the brick oven just for fun.
Pellet maze for smoke and the residual heat to cook with.
They had a decent smoke flavor, but they were overdone. Not dry, just fall off the bone and a little mushy.
I think without a live heat source, I didn't get the pullback I'm used to, so I left them in too long.
Certainly not the best ribs I've done, but they'll eat.

IMG-20210721-222717-700.jpg

IMG-20210721-222717-739.jpg

IMG-20210721-222717-731.jpg

Those look pretty darn good to me!

Tell us more about your brick oven - is it wood fired? An indoor or outdoor unit?

A timely thread and a subject I have been thinking about.
Basically, what makes the best Q, an oven environment with smoke where the air is gently bathing the meat or more like an air fryer with the air moving across the meat?

In my quest to have better heat control and have longer burn times, less baby sitting, I have unfortunately made more of an oven environment during cooks than a smoke one.

Makes me wonder if the kettle and pellet smokers lose the stick burner pizzaz because of an oven situation verses a moving smoke fryer one.

In my own personal cooks and studying of pro cooks I am leaning to the idea the more moving air the better.

Thoughts?

Tell us more about your brick oven - is it wood fired? An indoor or outdoor unit?

Outdoor, wood fired. Cooking floor is roughly 42" in diameter.
Melbourne Fire Brick Company D105 model.
Built it myself last summer.

20210427-195717.jpg

20210427-195741.jpg

Inside brickwork.

20200913-113427.jpg

These weren't the first ribs I did in it, though it was the first time I've tried smoking some.

20201010-181722.jpg

Nice oven,nice Ribs:thumb:

Holy hell Henry! I'm pretty dang handy and I'm not sure that I'd jump into building such an oven.
I bow to your talent.
Ed

That is awesome brick oven. I just love the different ways people come up with to cook bbq. I'm very jealous of that setup, nice cook my friend.

jonumberone, thanks for sharing the great pics and details of your wood oven - it helps give us a much better idea of what you're cooking on!

As others have said, that's an impressive oven - are you cooking breads and pizza on it as well?

It sounds like other than the fact the ribs were a bit overdone, you were happy with the smoke flavor...

Thank you for the kind words.

The pizza has not been good yet.
There's a lot of different steps, that are all completely new to me that need ironing out.
No bread yet either; one entirely new to me process at a time.

Ribs, wings, lasagna, lobster tails, sides, and an Easter rib roast all went off without a hitch.
I did the ribs on a lark after I noticed it holding low temps the following day after doing pizza.

Thinking about a brisket next. The oven wont hold the low temp long enough for the whole cook. Thinking about using the charcoal basket from my Pit barrel and see if adding that will keep the temp up longer.
I'll do a dry run first before to see how well I can dial in the temps.

Melbourne Fire Brick Company D105 model
Company is about 5klm from me

That's an awesome looking oven. Is that a smoker on the left side of the photo. Nice brick/rock work.

Back