MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-31-2012, 06:09 PM   #9181
carpediem
Found some matches.

Default Making Progress

Just made this charcoal basket out of perf'd stainless. Doing a burn tomorrow and hopefully cooking on Thursday.

carpediem is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-01-2012, 08:09 AM   #9182
brickie
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmcrane View Post
I am considering using a "repurposed" shopping cart I have as a charcoal basket for my uds. it is painted, but i'm sure a good burn will take care of the paint. Does anybody have any other concerns that I'm not thinking about?
Aren't most shopping carts galvanized? You can get the steel grate most of us use at homedepot for $20.Throw a 20% HF coupon on it and you pay $16.

brickie
brickie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-01-2012, 08:22 AM   #9183
1FUNVET
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpediem View Post
Just made this charcoal basket out of perf'd stainless. Doing a burn tomorrow and hopefully cooking on Thursday.

Very nice looking basket. Seems a shame to get it all dirty
1FUNVET is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-01-2012, 08:35 AM   #9184
kmcrane
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickie View Post
Aren't most shopping carts galvanized? You can get the steel grate most of us use at homedepot for $20.Throw a 20% HF coupon on it and you pay $16.

brickie
i was thinking that since it was painted, it would be plain steel under, but you may be right.
kmcrane is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-01-2012, 09:12 AM   #9185
daninnewjersey
Babbling Farker

Quote:
I am in interested in building my own uds after reading over the wealth of information in this forum (and others). I have found a source for $10 drums here in Pasadena, TX, the only problem is they held race fuel. I have read mixed feelings in regards to this being safe to use for a cooker. What are ya'lls feelings regarding these drums.
Mine originally had diesel oil in it. A couple of good scrubbings, a long and HOT burn, and more scrubbing/sanding and you should be good to go...especially if race fuel tastes as good as diesel oil......

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-01-2012, 09:17 AM   #9186
micnic
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1FUNVET View Post
Very nice looking basket. Seems a shame to get it all dirty
This is the best looking basket on this forum man. And SS I am jealous

Old 02-01-2012, 09:23 AM   #9187
micnic
Found some matches.

Quote:
I am in interested in building my own uds after reading over the wealth of information in this forum (and others). I have found a source for $10 drums here in Pasadena, TX, the only problem is they held race fuel. I have read mixed feelings in regards to this being safe to use for a cooker. What are ya'lls feelings regarding these drums.
IMHO I would not do it, but it is your health. Metal is porous and I do not care how many burns you do, there will be always a chance that stuff can leak out. There is a reason why they make "food grade" drums. The spray on liner stops any contamination entering the bare metal. Hope this

Old 02-01-2012, 01:39 PM   #9188
vafish
Full Fledged Farker

If metal is so porous what keeps the racing fuel from just leaking out through the metal?

Or how could steel be used to hold.a.gas with small molecules like hydrogen?
Silver UDS with weber lid, UDS #2 black with a weber lid, 1995 Treager pellet grill, 22.5 Weber
vafish is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-01-2012, 02:03 PM   #9189
BGBarracus
Knows what a fatty is.

Got so much info from this thread when I built my drum. Decided to built a cut off vent for it.

Upright Drum Smoker Vent System - YouTube
BGBarracus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-01-2012, 02:38 PM   #9190
micnic
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vafish View Post
If metal is so porous what keeps the racing fuel from just leaking out through the metal?

Or how could steel be used to hold.a.gas with small molecules like hydrogen?
Dude, I have never seen hydrogen or any gas transported in steel drum - did you? They use special gas cylinders.

And I never said that metal is "so porous" it is somewhat, but go head and use it I do not care. I was just answering his ?

Old 02-01-2012, 03:40 PM   #9191
kmcrane
Found some matches.

alright, im moving forward with my uds build. im going to pick up a $10 race fuel drum friday (i was worried about the fuel tank but thought about how many large offset smokers are made from old lp tanks). i have a salvaged old smokey grill (extra large) for grates and lid. im gonna build my charcoal basket out of my "repurposed" shopping cart (worried about being galvanized but checked areas where paint was chipped away and much to my delight i noticed surface rust which means not galvanized correct?!?) so its looking like i will have sweet blue billowing out of this thing while only spending like $30 unless something goes seriously wrong. wish me luck!

Old 02-01-2012, 04:47 PM   #9192
Lawdog's Smokewagon
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickie View Post

brickie
Will HD accept Harbor Freight coupons?

Old 02-01-2012, 04:52 PM   #9193
Lawdog's Smokewagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by micnic View Post
Dude, I have never seen hydrogen or any gas transported in steel drum - did you? They use special gas cylinders.

And I never said that metal is "so porous" it is somewhat, but go head and use it I do not care. I was just answering his ?
Those "Special Cylinders " are made of steel. A little thicker guage but steel. Surface of steel is not smooth it is microscopically rough but not pourous by no means it does not absorb.

Last edited by Lawdog's Smokewagon; 02-01-2012 at 08:50 PM.. Reason: misspell
Lawdog's Smokewagon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-03-2012, 03:30 PM   #9194
kmcrane
Found some matches.

Default picked up my drum and some plumbing odds and ends today

I picked up my drum today to begin my UDS build. I am in the process of rinsing out with dish soap and water before i begin the beheading process. I also stopped by home depot and picked up my pipe nipples and caps. I still need to get to harbor freight to pick up my one inch ball valve (considerably cheaper than home depot especially with the 20% off and free multimeter. My Old Smokey lid fit pretty good, does need a little fine tuning but not bad for now. This is going to be a fun build.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg UDS In Progress.jpg (52.9 KB, 810 views)

Old 02-03-2012, 06:43 PM   #9195
Lawdog's Smokewagon

That looks good already!

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker