MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-07-2017, 10:56 AM   #106
blazinfire
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjtexas1 View Post
if you add sticks and you temp jumps that much you need to adjust the size of your splits. but that just goes back to another point you were trying to make about it taking too much effort/time to split the splits again.
Curious question, as I've been trying to figure this out mathematically in my head ever since I started cooking BBQ as each time its different it seems LOL.. larger splits would cause a larger temp jump?

I always assumed adding smaller splits would have a quicker/higher temp jump than adding a larger log.

Old 12-07-2017, 10:56 AM   #107
Rockinar
is One Chatty Farker

My opinion, an offset needs to be 1/4". Less than that requires too much work. It can be done but I think even I would throw in the towel. Sometimes when I'm at Academy I will look at the Old Country smokers. The fit/finish is horrible and the metal is thin. I can see how it would be a lot of work. No way it holds much heat. On my offset the coal bed can be almost gone and it will still be 200*. Thats not going to happen with thin metal. The temp is going to reflect the size of your fire.
Rockinar is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 12-07-2017, 10:59 AM   #108
bonz50
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazinfire View Post
Curious question, as I've been trying to figure this out mathematically in my head ever since I started cooking BBQ as each time its different it seems LOL.. larger splits would cause a larger temp jump?

I always assumed adding smaller splits would have a quicker/higher temp jump than adding a larger log.
that's what I would have thought as well, more surface area=more flame=more heat

but I don't know if its correct.

[B]WSM 18.5", Weber Genesis Gold B, Blackstone 36" griddle, OK Joe Longhorn
[/B]
bonz50 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-07-2017, 11:13 AM   #109
el luchador
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : EL Luchador

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonz50 View Post
that's what I would have thought as well, more surface area=more flame=more heat

but I don't know if its correct.
ive tested this so I can speak to this one- I also thought that larger splits should have less temp gain than smaller splits because they have more wood that is not ignited, even though they have more area.

well, I am here to let you know, you put a big split in the box and it catches ? - game over. once it catches flames its going to be way hotter than a smaller split because it has more surface area releasing BTUs into the cooker.
el luchador is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-07-2017, 11:23 AM   #110
DRMSMKER
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDAR View Post
I started cooking with my egg around 2005. I had a heavy Oklahoma Joe prior to that that I never really learned because I didn’t take the time. The egg made it it so easy. I still have that same egg. Next, I bought a Traeger Texas. It was even easier. I plugged it in and tried to set it and forget it just like the commercials said. Like a post above, I could never let any of those cookers be. I guess you can say that I never “trusted” any of them.

To this day, I’ve had a Pitmaker Vault, Yoder YS640, PBS and a Gateway drum on top of all of the above cookers. I never learned to trust any of them...and was able to go to sleep or the kids or grandkids “games”. I have always needed to know “where it’s at”.

I’ve won several GC’s and RC’s at competitions while winning at Sam’s, IBCA, LSBS and KCBS competitions. I’ve qualified for and attended the American Royal Invitational as well as the World Food Championship when it was in Las Vegas.

I have always been too anal to allow myself more than probably more than 2 hours without checking my cooker.

What I am saying I guess, is if you trust whatever tool you choose to do the cooking for you; you are more of a relaxed cooker than I have ever have been despite the multiple attempts and the thousands of dollars I have spent in that pursuit.

Me? I give up. I’ll sit by the fire and feed it.
I'm like you with my drum... I'm looking into the tappecue which will let you see your temps on your phone from anywhere as long as your house has internet. Will give me peace of mind. Already have a wireless unit but still haven't trusted my drum to go all night yet....
DRMSMKER is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-07-2017, 11:24 AM   #111
blazinfire
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by el luchador View Post
ive tested this so I can speak to this one- I also thought that larger splits should have less temp gain than smaller splits because they have more wood that is not ignited, even though they have more area.

well, I am here to let you know, you put a big split in the box and it catches ? - game over. once it catches flames its going to be way hotter than a smaller split because it has more surface area releasing BTUs into the cooker.
Yeah. makes for a good discussion. I can see where your going with this. Smaller splits probably would have a faster temp swing, but a larger piece of wood would take longer to reach higher temps but would ultimately burn longer and create more heat..

Old 12-07-2017, 11:43 AM   #112
el luchador
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRMSMKER View Post
I'm like you with my drum... I'm looking into the tappecue which will let you see your temps on your phone from anywhere as long as your house has internet. Will give me peace of mind. Already have a wireless unit but still haven't trusted my drum to go all night yet....
that tappecue is not a bad price for the unit with 4 probes. but a couple of things.

1. does it interface through the tappecue cloud or just through your home router? if their cloud is down does that mean your unit wont work?
2. does it have an option for fan control?

a heatermeter is about the same price and it does not use a cloud server. you can access the heatermeter ip address directly through a port,
and it will control a fan for even more temp control.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazinfire View Post
Yeah. makes for a good discussion. I can see where your going with this. Smaller splits probably would have a faster temp swing, but a larger piece of wood would take longer to reach higher temps but would ultimately burn longer and create more heat..
that's what Ive experience. yes.

Old 12-07-2017, 11:47 AM   #113
el luchador
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinar View Post
My opinion, an offset needs to be 1/4". Less than that requires too much work. It can be done but I think even I would throw in the towel. Sometimes when I'm at Academy I will look at the Old Country smokers. The fit/finish is horrible and the metal is thin. I can see how it would be a lot of work. No way it holds much heat. On my offset the coal bed can be almost gone and it will still be 200*. Thats not going to happen with thin metal. The temp is going to reflect the size of your fire.
this seems to be a recurring theme here. Maybe you guys have a point

not that I can afford an expensive unit (I don't like Q THAT much) but Im really loving the clean clean clean smoke of embers right now so I doubt that I will ever crave a stick burner again.

but as they say, never say never

Old 12-07-2017, 11:53 AM   #114
JokerBroker
On the road to being a farker

On a side note, nice work el luchador on becoming a Full Fledged Farker in only 2 months! Now...

Old 12-07-2017, 11:56 AM   #115
ChrisBarb
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubfromGA View Post
They sound like what you are looking for in a grill that that smoke, grill, seer. You'll make amazing brisket, pulled pork, ribs, wings, chicken, steaks and the best pizzas on the planet.

Make sure you get one with a lifetime warranty.

You will never regret a BGE, Kamado Joe, Primo or other.

Absolutely anything that you can cook in an indoor oven can be cooked with ease on your ceramic kamado.

You can also go the route that many, myself included, have gone....buy a Akorn kamado from Char Griller. Can be had for $299.

Air flow is the same as it's ceramic cousins....it is slightly more finicky if you overshoot your target temp, so more care is needed in how you start your fires for slow'n'low cooks. That being said....once you lock into the temp you are golden.

I bought an Akorn and found myself using that bad boy several times a week for three years. I simply wore it slam out. My family went nuts over my grilling in ways they'd never done before. In my opinion.....it's the best grilling money I've ever spent.
Actually, much better option for a metal kamado, is the Bubba/Broil King Keg. https://www.broilkingbbq.com/grills/keg

Old 12-07-2017, 12:03 PM   #116
One Drop
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Im not going to disagree with you. but, keep an open mind and try it. you might like it
I have done, I've nothing against it, and I have no horse in this race. If it's your hobby or passion and you aren't loving the process then there is no reason in the world I would want to convince you to do other than that which makes you happy.

As a chef by profession my daily life has been to make the best of whatever tools and ingredients are at hand. I was just pointing out that charcoal and embers are different, and you seem to like cooking over embers.

With the increasing popularity of stick burners, many have forgotten the great art of cooking over logs freshly burnt to embers and shovelled into a pit. It's a killer way to smoke food that is also a huge favorite of mine when i've had the chance to attempt it, and the results are fabulous.

Old 12-07-2017, 12:25 PM   #117
el luchador
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Drop View Post
I have done, I've nothing against it, and I have no horse in this race. If it's your hobby or passion and you aren't loving the process then there is no reason in the world I would want to convince you to do other than that which makes you happy.

As a chef by profession my daily life has been to make the best of whatever tools and ingredients are at hand. I was just pointing out that charcoal and embers are different, and you seem to like cooking over embers.

With the increasing popularity of stick burners, many have forgotten the great art of cooking over logs freshly burnt to embers and shovelled into a pit. It's a killer way to smoke food that is also a huge favorite of mine when i've had the chance to attempt it, and the results are fabulous.

yes sir! as I said earlier in the thread, the best heat and smoke out of my stick burner was when it was down to the glowing embers and there was no smoke emanating from the cooker. It just smelled like heat and it was awesome. When I put my hand over the exhaust the smell was just pure.

now, Im not going to pretend like I know anything about anything, so maybe you can help.

in my limited understanding wood becomes embers when everything else is burned off and all that's left is carbon? and lump charcoal is carbonized wood?

now the heat I got out of the glowing lump charcoal smelled and acted like the ember stage of wood.

Pray, tell, what are the differences between red hot fresh embers and red hot lump charcoal?

(btw, I still have a bunch of pecan logs left. Guess whats going to be made out of them )

Old 12-07-2017, 12:29 PM   #118
sudsandswine
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Charcoal is made by super heating wood in an environment lacking oxygen, where as log embers are...burned down logs from a fire.

Old 12-07-2017, 12:50 PM   #119
bonz50
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Tony

Quote:
(I don't like Q THAT much)
does not compute

Quote:
but Im really loving the clean clean clean smoke of charcoal right now so I doubt that I will ever crave a stick burner again.
fixed that for ya

[B]WSM 18.5", Weber Genesis Gold B, Blackstone 36" griddle, OK Joe Longhorn
[/B]
bonz50 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-07-2017, 12:52 PM   #120
el luchador
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JokerBroker View Post
On a side note, nice work el luchador on becoming a Full Fledged Farker in only 2 months! Now...
wow thanks. I have no idea what that means but it sounds like a good thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudsandswine View Post
Charcoal is made by super heating wood in an environment lacking oxygen, where as log embers are...burned down logs from a fire.
(if you take a cooled down wood ember and a piece of cold lump charcoal. how chemically different are they?)

lol. what I mean is aren't they both just almost pure carbon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonz50 View Post
does not compute

fixed that for ya
hahaha. Don't hate

im not saying, Im just saying.