MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-06-2017, 01:06 AM   #91
70monte
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by el luchador View Post
bwahaha. lmao

what cooker do you have?
my charcoal burner is a uds and it is on the internet so I have eyes on the temp at all times.

low and slow cooking for a long amount of time and still being able to run errands - priceless!
I have several cookers but the one that I smoke on the most is my Good One Open Range. I also have a Good One Marshall for larger cooks.

On my last cook using the Open Range cooking some pork butts, I had to go to a town 35 miles away to do some errands and I was gone for over three hours. I monitored temps using my smoke thermometer with the Gateway app and the thing just chugged along. I was using Good One lump in it. I can usually go five to six hours before reloading and this thing keeps pretty steady temps. I know some people who have gone up to 10 hours on one load of lump.

Wayne
70monte is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 12-06-2017, 05:53 AM   #92
SDAR
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Allen

Quote:
I have a follow up question since you compete , and win.

by the time its all said and done, how much of a difference does the cooker make to the flavor. in your opinion. ie stick vs charcoal vs pellets etc
It all tastes good when done right. As far as the flavor from the “fire”, the drums add the drippings effect. The offsets add the increased airflow effect which in my opinion is noticeably better to me. I’ve won more with the “public” judges than I have with the CBJ’s of KCBS. Most of my wins came off of the Vault.
SDAR is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 12-06-2017, 03:25 PM   #93
DubfromGA
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Ive heard they are very good at keeping temp, and moist because they don't turn over the air that often. Maybe once they come down in price ...

Bwahaha. LMAO

They sound like what you are looking for in a grill that that smoke, grill, seer. You'll make amazing brisket, pulled pork, ribs, wings, chicken, steaks and the best pizzas on the planet.

Make sure you get one with a lifetime warranty.

You will never regret a BGE, Kamado Joe, Primo or other.

Absolutely anything that you can cook in an indoor oven can be cooked with ease on your ceramic kamado.

You can also go the route that many, myself included, have gone....buy a Akorn kamado from Char Griller. Can be had for $299.

Air flow is the same as it's ceramic cousins....it is slightly more finicky if you overshoot your target temp, so more care is needed in how you start your fires for slow'n'low cooks. That being said....once you lock into the temp you are golden.

I bought an Akorn and found myself using that bad boy several times a week for three years. I simply wore it slam out. My family went nuts over my grilling in ways they'd never done before. In my opinion.....it's the best grilling money I've ever spent.

Old 12-06-2017, 11:35 PM   #94
el luchador
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : EL Luchador

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70monte View Post
I have several cookers but the one that I smoke on the most is my Good One Open Range. I also have a Good One Marshall for larger cooks.

On my last cook using the Open Range cooking some pork butts, I had to go to a town 35 miles away to do some errands and I was gone for over three hours. I monitored temps using my smoke thermometer with the Gateway app and the thing just chugged along. I was using Good One lump in it. I can usually go five to six hours before reloading and this thing keeps pretty steady temps. I know some people who have gone up to 10 hours on one load of lump.

Wayne
Hi, Ive never heard of that cooker before. I had to look it up. Thanks for sharing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDAR View Post
It all tastes good when done right. As far as the flavor from the “fire”, the drums add the drippings effect. The offsets add the increased airflow effect which in my opinion is noticeably better to me. I’ve won more with the “public” judges than I have with the CBJ’s of KCBS. Most of my wins came off of the Vault.
Interesting on the airflow angle. I hadn't considered that. But you have a point. That could impact the taste. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubfromGA View Post
They sound like what you are looking for in a grill that that smoke, grill, seer. You'll make amazing brisket, pulled pork, ribs, wings, chicken, steaks and the best pizzas on the planet.

Make sure you get one with a lifetime warranty.

You will never regret a BGE, Kamado Joe, Primo or other.

Absolutely anything that you can cook in an indoor oven can be cooked with ease on your ceramic kamado.

You can also go the route that many, myself included, have gone....buy a Akorn kamado from Char Griller. Can be had for $299.

Air flow is the same as it's ceramic cousins....it is slightly more finicky if you overshoot your target temp, so more care is needed in how you start your fires for slow'n'low cooks. That being said....once you lock into the temp you are golden.

I bought an Akorn and found myself using that bad boy several times a week for three years. I simply wore it slam out. My family went nuts over my grilling in ways they'd never done before. In my opinion.....it's the best grilling money I've ever spent.
The kamados are nice, just quite expensive. And fragile. I'm way too rough on my stuff to ever own one.
el luchador is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-06-2017, 11:54 PM   #95
el luchador
is One Chatty Farker

So I washed my hands of the stick burner and I'm back to charcoal. I did my first charcoal cook in a month today. OMG it's sooo easy compared to stick.

So here is the wife's verdict.
First, I wanted to cook ember style with roaring natural charcoal and no wood in sight. No chunks, no chips, no pellets no sticks, nothing wood. I just wanted to understand what pure charcoal tastes like by itself.Just lump charcoal. I bought what was available at home Depot which is Royal oak.

Ok compared to kb briquettes lump has almost no visible smoke.

I brought a chimney full to red hot and dumped it in the cooker. I added a fresh chimney about every hour. All intakes wide open, 1.75"" of exhaust wide open. Temp would get to 310 and slowly die down to 225 then I would add another chimney of lump.

I knew it was going to be good because there was no visible smoke for 90% of the cook and the heat smelled so clean.

Anyhow, four hours later the ribs are ready and this is where it gets interesting.

I asked my wife if she could taste smoke and she said yes. I asked her is it lighter than normal she said yes. So I asked do you like it better, she said "yes I like the light smoke better but I know you like your food smoky so..."

So I ask again do you prefer this smoke and she said yes that the light smoke was not interfering with the meat and she felt like she was tasting meat with smoke instead of smoke with some meat.
What????!!!

So confirmed to myself that the cleanest smoke is using no wood at all and just "embers"

Old 12-07-2017, 12:49 AM   #96
One Drop
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
So I washed my hands of the stick burner and I'm back to charcoal. I did my first charcoal cook in a month today. OMG it's sooo easy compared to stick.

So here is the wife's verdict.
First, I wanted to cook ember style with roaring natural charcoal and no wood in sight. No chunks, no chips, no pellets no sticks, nothing wood. I just wanted to understand what pure charcoal tastes like by itself.Just lump charcoal. I bought what was available at home Depot which is Royal oak.

Ok compared to kb briquettes lump has almost no visible smoke.

I brought a chimney full to red hot and dumped it in the cooker. I added a fresh chimney about every hour. All intakes wide open, 1.75"" of exhaust wide open. Temp would get to 310 and slowly die down to 225 then I would add another chimney of lump.

I knew it was going to be good because there was no visible smoke for 90% of the cook and the heat smelled so clean.

Anyhow, four hours later the ribs are ready and this is where it gets interesting.

I asked my wife if she could taste smoke and she said yes. I asked her is it lighter than normal she said yes. So I asked do you like it better, she said "yes I like the light smoke better but I know you like your food smoky so..."

So I ask again do you prefer this smoke and she said yes that the light smoke was not interfering with the meat and she felt like she was tasting meat with smoke instead of smoke with some meat.
What????!!!

So confirmed to myself that the cleanest smoke is using no wood at all and just "embers"
I'm not sure that is the right conclusion. You were burning charcoal, not embers. Food tastes different cooked over lump charcoal than on an Argentinian grill, to illustrate this.

And wood can burn so clean and with so much airflow that the smoke profile can remain very light indeed.

As with everything fire it's really complex, and the amount of oxygen and rate of combustion have as much to do with the resulting flavour profile as the material being burned, IMO.

Last edited by One Drop; 12-07-2017 at 11:56 AM..
One Drop is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-07-2017, 06:54 AM   #97
JokerBroker
On the road to being a farker

After reading through 7 pages of this thread, I don't think anyone's mind is going to be changing about what type of smoker they like to use. I would just like to say to all of you who might be thinking of buying an offset at some point, either buy a good one made of at least 1/4" thick steel or don't waste your money. I didn't see where the OP actually mentioned what model smoker he had but I saw the name Pecos mentioned by Czar. Regardless, the OP did say that when he added a split, the temp would spike from 250º to 400º if he didn't adjust the vents. I don't need to know the brand to determine he's using a COS. One split won't spike the temps in a quality smoker much more than about 5%. In my opinion, this thread should have been titled "Done with poorly designed stick burners". I think someone who is highly skilled in fire management can get decent results from a COS but in the case of offset smoking with wood, people learning the craft are better off with really good equipment because they are much easier to use.

Old 12-07-2017, 07:30 AM   #98
sudsandswine
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Old 12-07-2017, 07:37 AM   #99
bonz50
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Tony

Quote:

not to be a nitpick, honest question, how is this different than adding a split every hour in a stick burner?

[B]WSM 18.5", Weber Genesis Gold B, Blackstone 36" griddle, OK Joe Longhorn
[/B]
bonz50 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-07-2017, 07:38 AM   #100
el luchador
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Drop View Post
I'm not sure that is the right conclusion. You were burning charcoal, not embers. Food tastes different choked over lump charcoal than on an Argentinian grill, to illustrate this.

And wood can burn so clean and with so much airflow that the smoke profile can remain very light indeed.

As with everything fire it's really complex, and the amount of oxygen and rate of combustion have as much to do with the resulting flavour profile as the material being burned, IMO.
Im not going to disagree with you. but, keep an open mind and try it. you might like it

Old 12-07-2017, 07:55 AM   #101
el luchador
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JokerBroker View Post
After reading through 7 pages of this thread, I don't think anyone's mind is going to be changing about what type of smoker they like to use. I would just like to say to all of you who might be thinking of buying an offset at some point, either buy a good one made of at least 1/4" thick steel or don't waste your money. I didn't see where the OP actually mentioned what model smoker he had but I saw the name Pecos mentioned by Czar. Regardless, the OP did say that when he added a split, the temp would spike from 250º to 400º if he didn't adjust the vents. I don't need to know the brand to determine he's using a COS. One split won't spike the temps in a quality smoker much more than about 5%. In my opinion, this thread should have been titled "Done with poorly designed stick burners". I think someone who is highly skilled in fire management can get decent results from a COS but in the case of offset smoking with wood, people learning the craft are better off with really good equipment because they are much easier to use.
That's right. I was cooking on the Pecos, which IMO is the BEST side offset smoker under $500. It is not 1/4" thick but it is well made.

I understand your position but I am loathe to blame the cooker as there are many other variables - moisture content of the wood, skill of the cook, etc. and my position is probably supported since Im sure there are thousands of happy pecos users who have no problems at all with their cooker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonz50 View Post
not to be a nitpick, honest question, how is this different than adding a split every hour in a stick burner?
very valid question - it is and it isn't.
with roaring lump I still had to go out there and add a chimney every hour or so. the heat output is linear- I mapped it and can post it if requested. so I didn't have to sit there and baby sit the cooker for several minutes. which means one hour was one hour.

with the offset, it was really every 30 minutes to 45 minutes and several times inbetween trying to keep it from getting too cold or too hot. it also took up to 10 minutes everytime I added a log to bring the temp into compliance

so from an effort perspective - if an oven is a 1/10 in effort and a stick burner is 10/10 in effort, burning embers would be a 4/10.

hope this helps

Old 12-07-2017, 08:15 AM   #102
bonz50
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
That's right. I was cooking on the Pecos, which IMO is the BEST side offset smoker under $500. It is not 1/4" thick but it is well made.

I understand your position but I am loathe to blame the cooker as there are many other variables - moisture content of the wood, skill of the cook, etc. and my position is probably supported since Im sure there are thousands of happy pecos users who have no problems at all with their cooker.

very valid question - it is and it isn't.
with roaring lump I still had to go out there and add a chimney every hour or so. the heat output is linear- I mapped it and can post it if requested. so I didn't have to sit there and baby sit the cooker for several minutes. which means one hour was one hour.

with the offset, it was really every 30 minutes to 45 minutes and several times inbetween trying to keep it from getting too cold or too hot. it also took up to 10 minutes everytime I added a log to bring the temp into compliance

so from an effort perspective - if an oven is a 1/10 in effort and a stick burner is 10/10 in effort, burning embers would be a 4/10.

hope this helps
sounds like maybe some others may be on to something that maybe the cooker itself may be the source of the consistency problem. I had similar issues with my WSM when i first got it, took about a year of learning the cooker before I could just add fuel and forget about it.

[/B]

Old 12-07-2017, 09:53 AM   #103
el luchador
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonz50 View Post
sounds like maybe some others may be on to something that maybe the cooker itself may be the source of the consistency problem. I had similar issues with my WSM when i first got it, took about a year of learning the cooker before I could just add fuel and forget about it.
Im thinking about this, and it seems the two mechanisms to make a stick burner be more consistent are a larger cooker (more to heat up) and a thicker cooker(also more material to keep heated).

So should we conclude that people should not even consider stick burning unless they have $1500+ to spend on a big 1/4" cooker?

Old 12-07-2017, 10:19 AM   #104
bonz50
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Im thinking about this, and it seems the two mechanisms to make a stick burner be more consistent are a larger cooker (more to heat up) and a thicker cooker(also more material to keep heated).

So should we conclude that people should not even consider stick burning unless they have $1500+ to spend on a big 1/4" cooker?
while I don't disagree with the premise, some of the cheaper cookers I've seen (OK Joe Longhorn as an example) can be made to be decent with mods, but your $500 longhorn ends up with $3-500 in mods plus time to perform the mods. so I guess ~$1500 isn't that out of line once you consider the cost of mods

[/B]

Old 12-07-2017, 10:52 AM   #105
pjtexas1
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Texas Pete

if you add sticks and you temp jumps that much you need to adjust the size of your splits. but that just goes back to another point you were trying to make about it taking too much effort/time to split the splits again.
SF 24x36 Midnight Edition / Mak 1-Star /Abe's 48" Insulated Cabinet / 22.5 OTG / 28" BS / Jimmy with CB Roti and pizza kit / Red Box on custom cart / Char-Griller Kettle / Barrel House Cooker / Pit Boss Copperhead / Char-Griller Akorn Jr

pjtexas1 is offline   Reply With Quote