MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-05-2017, 11:39 AM   #61
DubfromGA
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonz50 View Post
I'm a firm believer in having the right tool for the job at hand. if the job at hand requires an overnight 'set and forget' cook then fire up the coal burner. if the job is a midday relaxing rib cook with beers and friends, stick burn it. no shame in having a preference, no shame in having multiple smokers either.
Well said !!!!!!

Thanks from:--->

Old 12-05-2017, 11:55 AM   #62
Czarbecue
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Viet King Cong

Don't sell your Pecos until you come to the Spring bash. Your fellow brethren may be able to make you a believer.

Old 12-05-2017, 01:31 PM   #63
el luchador
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : EL Luchador

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtr View Post
One thing that's great when the kids get teenage is that they're old enough to split wood. My older son (16) is ready to do manly chit so he likes to split wood. I just cooked 130# of butts this weekend, I didn't swing the maul once, and there's plenty wood left over.

I love days when I have time to use the offset, and I also love having verticals & kettles for when time doesn't allow for tending a fire all day. My preference is stickburning, but I just don't have the time to do it as often as I'd like. A beautiful day with the Klose chugging along is a glorious thing indeed.
gotta love free labor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JokerBroker View Post
Generally speaking, I agree with most of everyone's points of view on this thread but this particular observation may only hold true with offsets that aren't designed as well as they could be. I always preheat my splits by placing them to the side of the fire. This is easier to do when you have a large firebox. Once it's preheated and its time to add to the fire, I can plop it on the coal bed and walk away. There is no need to adjust vents, make sure the wood catches (because it always does), and the temp hardly fluctuates at all because 1/4" plate holds the heat so well. It takes a concentrated effort to move my temps up or down once they are stabile. The only thing I have to watch out for is waiting too long to add another split because the temps will hold for a while even after the fire is almost out.
if I do that, with my vents half open, the temp will go from 250 to 400 in a matter of minutes. mine definitely needs management.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beentown View Post
We just did it this week. Chuckies with and without wood.

Everyone could tell.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
what was the "without wood" option - charcoal? which was preferred. We need more info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjtexas1 View Post
if your wood is seasoned and the offset is designed properly you can just put a stick in and walk away. i only need 1 small stick every 40 minutes or so. if i want to go longer i will add 2 sticks and let the temp jump a little bit. i start with my intake and exhaust wide open and never touch them until it is time to put it away. most of the time i don't even open the fb door. i just push the sticks in thru the intake.

i get what you are saying about the wood just being lump once it burns down but to me the flavor i like comes from the smoke as it burns down into coals. that is why i tell people to add a green stick if they don't get enough smoke from their stick burners.

let's keep this thread going. i am loving everyone's comments.
Im going to cook with only wood embers one day. maybe not soon but Im going to do it. I have a feeling it will be unmatched. who knows though, until I test (any reason to cook right ?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonjax View Post
I love my stick burner.

The sticks are incredibly small though!

my boss has one of those. they seem very easy to cook on. hows the flavor
el luchador is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-05-2017, 01:35 PM   #64
el luchador
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstewart39 View Post
“Mountains should be climbed with as little effort as possible and without desire. The reality of your own nature should determine the speed. If you become restless, speed up. If you become winded, slow down. You climb the mountain in an equilibrium between restlessness and exhaustion. Then, when you're no longer thinking ahead, each footstep isn't just a means to an end but a unique event in itself....To live only for some future goal is shallow. It's the sides of the mountains which sustain life, not the top.”

― Robert M. Pirsig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values
for some reason I like that quote. thanks for sharing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModelMaker View Post
A man gotta do what a man gotta do to make his heart light.
Carry on.
Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudsandswine View Post
What kind of smoker do you have OP? I open my intake a little over 50%, open exhaust fully, and never touch vents again until it's time to shut her down. If I want the cooker hotter or cooler I just adjust the size of the fire...feed logs more or less often, or feed more or less logs at one time.

If you're constantly having to fidget with vents, maybe there's an issue with your cooker, as joker mentioned.
my smoker at half intake vent open full exhaust will burn at 400 degrees when the wood catches and the fire is roaring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonz50 View Post
I'm a firm believer in having the right tool for the job at hand. if the job at hand requires an overnight 'set and forget' cook then fire up the coal burner. if the job is a midday relaxing rib cook with beers and friends, stick burn it. no shame in having a preference, no shame in having multiple smokers either.
good point

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnH12 View Post
A chore for some is a pleasure for others.
Do whatever trips your trigger. Just don't go vegan!
We are all vegans by proxy- cows eat grass, we eat cows

Old 12-05-2017, 01:36 PM   #65
el luchador
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarbecue View Post
Don't sell your Pecos until you come to the Spring bash. Your fellow brethren may be able to make you a believer.
I do plan to be at this bash .

the smoker is already sold though. my coworker is picking it up this weekend. Sold it to him at my cost but got to test it with three cooks so Im happy.
I still have the vertical stick burner - maybe i'll keep that till after the bash

Old 12-05-2017, 01:54 PM   #66
pjtexas1
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Texas Pete

This should have been my first response...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
SF 24x36 Midnight Edition / Mak 1-Star /Abe's 48" Insulated Cabinet / 22.5 OTG / 28" BS / Jimmy with CB Roti and pizza kit / Red Box on custom cart / Char-Griller Kettle / Barrel House Cooker / Pit Boss Copperhead / Char-Griller Akorn Jr

pjtexas1 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-05-2017, 01:56 PM   #67
70monte
is One Chatty Farker

Your reasons are a lot of the same ones I have for not owning a stick burner or really having the desire to get one. I don't like to be tied down so much to the smoker that I can't go run an errand or be gone from the house for a few hours. Sourcing the wood as well as letting it season and cutting it to size is another inconvenience.
70monte is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-05-2017, 02:21 PM   #68
THoey1963

Name/Nickname : Terry

The time to manage the stick burner was what changed my mind and made me go back to charcoal smokers. I work from home a lot, so a midday smoke for tonight's dinner is quite common. Unfortunately, working from home doesn't always mean I can run out back every 40 minutes. A lot of times it was more like 90 minutes. So, some times the fire would die down, then I'd add a couple sticks and then it would go too high, even when considering a range of temps. It frustrated me, and I found myself using the WSM instead. The whole ordeal was quite a painful and costly learning mistake. It made the great food leave a bitter taste in my mouth.

Do what makes you happy...

Lone Star Grillz Insulated Cabinet Smoker / Weber Summit Charcoal Grilling (WSCG) Station / CyberQ / Slow N Sear with Drip N Griddle

WSCG Review [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=245542"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL]. WSM Mods [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=201917"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL]. My Brisket Guide [URL="http://bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=238834"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL].
THoey1963 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-05-2017, 02:25 PM   #69
el luchador
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjtexas1 View Post
This should have been my first response...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
bwahaha. lmao

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70monte View Post
Your reasons are a lot of the same ones I have for not owning a stick burner or really having the desire to get one. I don't like to be tied down so much to the smoker that I can't go run an errand or be gone from the house for a few hours. Sourcing the wood as well as letting it season and cutting it to size is another inconvenience.

what cooker do you have?
my charcoal burner is a uds and it is on the internet so I have eyes on the temp at all times.

low and slow cooking for a long amount of time and still being able to run errands - priceless!

Old 12-05-2017, 02:26 PM   #70
jasonjax
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by el luchador View Post

my boss has one of those. they seem very easy to cook on. hows the flavor
I love the flavor. I'm not positive, but I THINK 5 of the top 10 teams in the last Jack used pellet poopers.
jasonjax is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 12-05-2017, 02:31 PM   #71
pjtexas1

Name/Nickname : Texas Pete

i know everyone does it but i just cannot get myself to leave the property when i have a live fire in anything. even if my HeaterMeter were to let me know the temp was high and i know that i can close the intake from my phone i still would be worried the whole time. sometimes it sucks being paranoid.
SF 24x36 Midnight Edition / Mak 1-Star /Abe's 48" Insulated Cabinet / 22.5 OTG / 28" BS / Jimmy with CB Roti and pizza kit / Red Box on custom cart / Char-Griller Kettle / Barrel House Cooker / Pit Boss Copperhead / Char-Griller Akorn Jr

pjtexas1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-05-2017, 02:32 PM   #72
el luchador
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by THoey1963 View Post
The time to manage the stick burner was what changed my mind and made me go back to charcoal smokers. I work from home a lot, so a midday smoke for tonight's dinner is quite common. Unfortunately, working from home doesn't always mean I can run out back every 40 minutes. A lot of times it was more like 90 minutes. So, some times the fire would die down, then I'd add a couple sticks and then it would go too high, even when considering a range of temps. It frustrated me, and I found myself using the WSM instead. The whole ordeal was quite a painful and costly learning mistake. It made the great food leave a bitter taste in my mouth.

Do what makes you happy...

wow, you put it way better than I could. with my charcoal smoker, I looked forward to cooking because it was easy, and the food was delicious. with the stick burner the idea of cooking was not something I looked forward to and that's not what cooking should be about. it shouldn't be a chore.

thanks for the feedback!

Quote:
I love the flavor. I'm not positive, but I THINK 5 of the top 10 teams in the last Jack used pellet poopers.
Wowza!!!
is the data out there somewhere?

Old 12-05-2017, 02:34 PM   #73
jasonjax
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by el luchador View Post

Wowza!!!
is the data out there somewhere?
Probably, but I'm too lazy to go search. It was a comment made by Myron Mixon in his class while we discussed the various types of smokers. He referenced one of the majors where the top five finishers all used pellet cookers, that's why I said I THINK it was the Jack.
jasonjax is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-05-2017, 02:41 PM   #74
el luchador
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Probably, but I'm too lazy to go search. It was a comment made by Myron Mixon in his class while we discussed the various types of smokers. He referenced one of the majors where the top five finishers all used pellet cookers, that's why I said I THINK it was the Jack.

is this the list right here?
https://www.jackdaniels.com/en-us/BB...y-Top-Barbecue

not that it really matters though ( in a good way). Im sure the top teams can cook in an electric oven and still win. lol

Old 12-05-2017, 02:56 PM   #75
DubfromGA
is One Chatty Farker

A ceramic kamado is one super easy to run smoker.

Results are outstanding and they lock into temps and stay there.