MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-04-2017, 07:51 PM   #31
el luchador
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : EL Luchador

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmittyJonz View Post
You just joined the Thoey63 Club - now sell the stickburner and buy an LSG IVC.
kinda rich for my blood, and I would be afraid someone would steal it from my backyard. it looks nice though

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM46 View Post
You have presented your case well.
Imo cooking is supposed to be relaxing and enjoyable.
THANK YOU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stlsportster View Post
Yep. In fact it's even easier to do Ribs in the crockpot and brisket in the oven. No added benefit to have to even go outside. Little liquid smoke and you're good to go.

Don't know why it took me so long to see the truth!!

You say that tongue in cheek but you have a point. I think Ive decided that turkey just needs to be done in the oven.

I cant do brisket in the oven because my oven is ±15 degrees, not as tight as the uds, AND it doesnt give a smoke ring or a bark, both of which I like

also, the best beef short ribs I ever had were BRAISED in a brown french sauce(veloute?) and served with Gratin Dauphinois and a zesty Gremolata so ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchar69 View Post
MODS, PLEASE BAN THE OP!!!

Actually, I'm kidding, a UDS is what I use, set it and forget it.
Viva la UDS !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarbecue View Post
So what are you going to do with your Pecos?
I told a coworker that if I didnt keep it I would offer it to him at my cost. He will likely find a reason to not buy it, at which point I will offer it for sale on CL and maybe even sell it for a couple bucks more than I bought it for.
el luchador is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-04-2017, 07:52 PM   #32
el luchador
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by angryelfFan View Post
Stick Burners aren't for everyone.
true

Old 12-04-2017, 07:57 PM   #33
el luchador
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemci View Post
You can no longer fly the Texas flag at your place.
the cops just knocked on my door and asked to see my texas man card! :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by JokerBroker View Post
Nothing ruins one's desire to cook with a stick burner like a COS. The truth is, it's not for everyone. Most of my friends think I am crazy to get it up in the middle of the night to tend to a fire. That is until they eat the food. What they don't understand is that I find enjoyment in the process but even I don't want to do it all of the time which is why I own a BGE. Both tools produce great BBQ but I take a lot of satisfaction in being able to cook with a wood fire. My best BBQ comes off of the stick burner according to everyone who eats it.
I agree with you. the cheap smokers are a handful to manage. I think the good stick burners are the huge ones like they use at restaurants where you can really load up the fire box and have it maintain temp. starting with 5 sticks- you add one its a 20% change, versus a small smoker where you have one stick going, add another one and you just doubled your BTUs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillN View Post
On the positive side you have so many options to produce the Que you love.
Well said

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Embry View Post
Exactly my feelings. I started out with a Backwoods Party (still have) then a Fatboy, then a Pro Jr. One day I tasted some que that was cooked on a Gator and mine eyes were opened lol. Significantly better than what I had been cooking.
could it be grass is greener syndrome? charcoal smokers win comps too and I have a feeling if you had brisket from a top team using charcoal you might love it. the number two kcbs team this year cooks on DRUMS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin-ct View Post
First came the Big Green Egg. I was mad everyday that I had to goto work and not cook on the Egg. Then came the Lang, 8 cooks so far, still not 100% it's for me. Like it was said, you have to micromanage the sticks and temps. On the Egg, set it and walk away. Then the stick burner does give you the excuse that I can't do any house chores
Awesome excuse :)

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-04-2017, 07:59 PM   #34
el luchador
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClintHTX View Post
I think the reason why I never fell into the phase of not liking my stick burner because I learned to not sweat the small stuff from the start. I cook at a temp range. If it’s too hot it’ll be done quicker too cool it’ll take longer. I let it do it’s thing and that’s what I enjoy. Don’t get me wrong...losing sleep sucks. But it’s what I enjoy and that’s why I do it.
i didnt let the temp range bother me 225 to 325, all good. still significantly more work than charcoal

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4ever3 View Post
Different strokes...

If everyone liked stick burners there’d be no other type of cookers sold.
very true.

Old 12-04-2017, 08:07 PM   #35
longhair75
Full Fledged Farker

I love cooking on my stick burner. I love the early mornings getting my fire started and sipping a cup of good coffee while the sun comes up. I love tending the fire and the smell of thin blue hickory smoke.

[B]Laeti vescimur nos subacturis[/B]
Cooking with an Oklahoma Joe Longhorn, a Copper Weber Performer Premium and 17" Blackstone portable griddle.
longhair75 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-04-2017, 08:14 PM   #36
el luchador
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhair75 View Post
I love cooking on my stick burner. I love the early mornings getting my fire started and sipping a cup of good coffee while the sun comes up. I love tending the fire and the smell of thin blue hickory smoke.

i see two classes of brethren- those who like the process, and those who just like the food.

Im in the latter group- plus with young kids there is just not enough time to enjoy the process.

Old 12-04-2017, 08:21 PM   #37
pjtexas1
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Texas Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by el luchador View Post
i see two classes of brethren- those who like the process, and those who just like the food.

Im in the latter group- plus with young kids there is just not enough time to enjoy the process.
3rd group: those who prefer stick burning but need the convenience of charcoal when time doesn't permit.

4th group: those who just like to cook on anything.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
SF 24x36 Midnight Edition / Mak 1-Star /Abe's 48" Insulated Cabinet / 22.5 OTG / 28" BS / Jimmy with CB Roti and pizza kit / Red Box on custom cart / Char-Griller Kettle / Barrel House Cooker / Pit Boss Copperhead / Char-Griller Akorn Jr

pjtexas1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-04-2017, 08:23 PM   #38
WeberWho
is one Smokin' Farker

I have owned 7 Big Green Eggs in the last 7 years. I don't ever see myself without one. It's a fantastic grill. You literally set it and forget it. Which is awesome but I knew I had to be missing something. I picked up a Shirley stick burner this summer and found exactly what I was missing. Yes it takes way more work than the BGE but the flavor can't be replicated.

I always chuckled when people mentioned that they missed using sticks and stoking a fire. I always thought they couldn't be serious when they said that. I mean who wants to go through all that extra work? I can proudly say I'm one of those people who enjoy the extra work now. It feels like I drive the cook rather than just picking it up when it's done. It's rewarding I guess. That's maybe why I've never bought an automatic transmission vehicle.

That's just my personal experience with sticks so far. I can also see why others are opposed to it. Especially being limited with time. The BGE will always be my workhorse but sticks are way more fun and rewarding!
WeberWho is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 12-04-2017, 08:25 PM   #39
lastmajordude
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Dude

Second GTR....as Dave Klose said once to me “if you’re not having fun (cooking/smoking) why are you doing it??”......do what you want....personally I like some of it all. I’m in a minority because I don’t like the way an egg cooks. That being said most cooks are on a kettle, use a drum second most.....and I have a WONDERFUL SECOND HAND JAMBO STICKBURNER which I LOVE the best of all but it’s not always time allowable. Use what you like......I will have to say a great and wonderful lady sage convinced me to try a drum...it is incredible in it’s versatility. The kettle is quite possibly the greatest cooking device evahhhh....and the stick burner.....well....it’s getting back to caveman simplicity and the taste IS to this old dinosaur most wonderful...of anything........but again....do what YOU like.....

Last edited by lastmajordude; 12-05-2017 at 04:40 PM..
lastmajordude is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-04-2017, 08:29 PM   #40
Jason TQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjtexas1 View Post
3rd group: those who prefer stick burning but need the convenience of charcoal when time doesn't permit.

83rd Group??:

Old 12-04-2017, 08:29 PM   #41
pjtexas1

Name/Nickname : Texas Pete

I have to say this is an awesome thread! It could have gone very negative but we have this instead.

SF 24x36 Midnight Edition / Mak 1-Star /Abe's 48" Insulated Cabinet / 22.5 OTG / 28" BS / Jimmy with CB Roti and pizza kit / Red Box on custom cart / Char-Griller Kettle / Barrel House Cooker / Pit Boss Copperhead / Char-Griller Akorn Jr

pjtexas1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-04-2017, 08:29 PM   #42
longhair75
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:

I do so enjoy the process. Even cooking inside, I enjoy the long cooks. Spaghetti day at my house starts in the early morning and lasts most of the day

[B]Laeti vescimur nos subacturis[/B]
Cooking with an Oklahoma Joe Longhorn, a Copper Weber Performer Premium and 17" Blackstone portable griddle.
longhair75 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-04-2017, 09:15 PM   #43
SmittyJonz

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjtexas1 View Post

5th group - same as 4th except No Pellet Poopers or Sous vide.........

Old 12-04-2017, 10:21 PM   #44
Beentown
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmittyJonz View Post
5th group - same as 4th except No Pellet Poopers or Sous vide.........
6th group - no pellet poopers with a love for sous vide ;)

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
SDG 26' Concession rig, Weber 22.5" x 3, RecTeq1250, UDS with IQ 110, Shirley Fabrication Cabinet Model 24x60 trailer, LS Grillz Large IVS w/offroad package (on the way), Humphreys Q'bed Pint, Assassin 48
Beentown is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-04-2017, 10:35 PM   #45
sudsandswine
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
clean burning wood taste is a very mild flavor, just like charcoal so no advantage to the wood burner,
I guarantee you I could pass the "Pepsi challenge" between a brisket cooked using a clean wood fire and one using a charcoal fueled smoker 100% of the time. I get the convenience factor - I still use and love my Primo XL with some quality lump, and I've cooked on and owned most of the popular charcoal fueled smokers out there, but the two produce noticeably different products. That doesn't mean one or the other is bad, but IMO they're definitely not the same.

There are times when running a stick burner is not feasible for me, but it's usually related to the start up and shut down (cooling off time) required as opposed to the level of effort in feeding logs for the cook itself. Stepping outside every 30 to 40 minutes to plop a new log on the fire is hardly time consuming and aside from having to physically leave the house for something (which I wouldn't do with any style of cooker running a live fire anyway) it's hardly more work, especially when the end result is taken into consideration.

One of the best things cooking on a stick burner did for me was to break me from the "the entire cook must run at ___ degrees or else it'll be a major fail" mentality...now I generally operate on a 50* +/- window and aim to keep it at a particular median temperature some of the time. I used to be so anal about keeping a cooker at some particular temperature otherwise some catastrophic undesirable end result would occur. But, it never did, I just turned out some really awesome barbecue if I'm somewhere aroundish 265-330*.

But most importantly, figure out what works for you and your lifestyle and keep on barbecuing - that's what matters

Last edited by sudsandswine; 12-04-2017 at 10:54 PM..
sudsandswine is offline   Reply With Quote