MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-04-2017, 06:26 PM   #16
mikemci
Babbling Farker

You can no longer fly the Texas flag at your place.
red Thermapen

There are two kinds of countries in the world, those that use the metric system and the one that sent men to the moon and back.
mikemci is offline   Reply With Quote

2 members found this post helpful.

Old 12-04-2017, 06:31 PM   #17
Mikhail
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Mik

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtr View Post
^^^if I could limit myself to a beer or 2 every 30-45 minutes I could still be drinking.
I used to be able to PUT IT AWAY. My dad would say 'I can only have one, maybe two, before they don't taste good' and I thought how silly. Beer tastes good all day!

Now I am the same way. Haven't drank more than three beers in decades.

Now wine, THAT I can still put away, cognac or bourbon too, but I will pay for it dearly.

Thanks from: --->
Old 12-04-2017, 06:31 PM   #18
Notorious Q.U.E.
is One Chatty Farker

Pitmaker Vault! True stickburning with set and forget. I cooked lunch over a baby fire and I’m still holding 200 six hours later, I’m curious how long it’ll go before dropping, it’s 34 degrees outside BTW

"...can't you see? Sometimes your words just hypnotize me and I just love your flashy ways. Guess that's why they broke and you're so paid!!!"
Notorious Q.U.E. is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-04-2017, 06:35 PM   #19
pjtexas1
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Texas Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemci View Post
You can no longer fly the Texas flag at your place.
I nearly fell off the couch.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
SF 24x36 Midnight Edition / Mak 1-Star /Abe's 48" Insulated Cabinet / 22.5 OTG / 28" BS / Jimmy with CB Roti and pizza kit / Red Box on custom cart / Char-Griller Kettle / Barrel House Cooker / Pit Boss Copperhead / Char-Griller Akorn Jr

pjtexas1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-04-2017, 06:36 PM   #20
JokerBroker
On the road to being a farker

Nothing ruins one's desire to cook with a stick burner like a COS. The truth is, it's not for everyone. Most of my friends think I am crazy to get it up in the middle of the night to tend to a fire. That is until they eat the food. What they don't understand is that I find enjoyment in the process but even I don't want to do it all of the time which is why I own a BGE. Both tools produce great BBQ but I take a lot of satisfaction in being able to cook with a wood fire. My best BBQ comes off of the stick burner according to everyone who eats it.

Old 12-04-2017, 06:39 PM   #21
BillN

Name/Nickname : Bill

On the positive side you have so many options to produce the Que you love.
PK 360 w/Grill Grates
BillN is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-04-2017, 06:49 PM   #22
Ed Embry
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssv3 View Post
A lot of work but the payoff is totally worth it and it's FUN. Best bbq for me is off the stick burner so I'll always have one in the mix. With that said, my stick burner season is fall through spring. I don't like tending the fire during those hot arse summer months so I use my other cookers. Like mentioned above though, it's not for everyone. Good luck!
Exactly my feelings. I started out with a Backwoods Party (still have) then a Fatboy, then a Pro Jr. One day I tasted some que that was cooked on a Gator and mine eyes were opened lol. Significantly better than what I had been cooking.

Old 12-04-2017, 07:21 PM   #23
kevin-ct
Found some matches.

First came the Big Green Egg. I was mad everyday that I had to goto work and not cook on the Egg. Then came the Lang, 8 cooks so far, still not 100% it's for me. Like it was said, you have to micromanage the sticks and temps. On the Egg, set it and walk away. Then the stick burner does give you the excuse that I can't do any house chores
kevin-ct is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-04-2017, 07:23 PM   #24
Czarbecue
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Viet King Cong

I got less flak for using a mayo slather on my brisket.

Old 12-04-2017, 07:29 PM   #25
SmittyJonz

I only use a Stickburner at The Texas Bashes, rest of time I use my Masterbuilt Electric.......

Old 12-04-2017, 07:34 PM   #26
ClintHTX
is One Chatty Farker

I think the reason why I never fell into the phase of not liking my stick burner because I learned to not sweat the small stuff from the start. I cook at a temp range. If it’s too hot it’ll be done quicker too cool it’ll take longer. I let it do it’s thing and that’s what I enjoy. Don’t get me wrong...losing sleep sucks. But it’s what I enjoy and that’s why I do it.

Old 12-04-2017, 07:36 PM   #27
CptKaos
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmittyJonz View Post
I only use a Stickburner at The Texas Bashes, rest of time I use my Masterbuilt Electric.......
Eager to test my theory I see :)

Larry

Old 12-04-2017, 07:37 PM   #28
4ever3

Different strokes...

If everyone liked stick burners there’d be no other type of cookers sold.

Old Oklahoma Joe (Opal)
GMG TREK (Greta Thunberg)
Weber Summit Charcoal (Waylon)
MAK 2 Star (Maybel)

2x “Unfortunately nothing wrong with that” Bob C Que…
I must be living right (somehow…)
4ever3 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 12-04-2017, 07:44 PM   #29
el luchador
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : EL Luchador

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtr View Post
Cooking should be enjoyable, so do what you gotta do!
yes sir!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjtexas1 View Post
At least you didn't spend a lot of money on the Pecos.

Somebody better get the word out to all those BBQ joints that are doing it wrong.

Just kidding. Have to applaud you just a little bit for not being afraid of the backlash. Hopefully you have a good sense of humor.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
thanks.
in actuality, from what Ive heard/ read, the true bbq was using embers, not wood - and this wood deal is fairly new?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16Adams View Post
I sold mine too. My reasons were No skills or patience. A beer or two every 30-45 minutes matching sticks wasn’t healthy
Amen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDAR View Post
I’m going back to stick burning. I’ve been through them all and still have the drums and the egg. I can understand where you are. I’ve been there. I still am in certain situations. Looking forward to getting another stick burner now.
this is my second try stick burning. first try I was using a POS(pitiful offset) and went to the UGLY DRUM. the first cook I did on the drum was the best cook I had ever done but I felt like the smoke was light on it. so after a while of great que on the drum I built a vertical stick burner, and felt the smoke was light, so to make sure it wasnt the drum, I bought an decent offset smoker, and what do you know, light clean smoker but tons of work.
I say that to say, this was not my first rodeo on the offset, and who knows it may not be my last.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssv3 View Post
A lot of work but the payoff is totally worth it and it's FUN. Best bbq for me is off the stick burner so I'll always have one in the mix. With that said, my stick burner season is fall through spring. I don't like tending the fire during those hot arse summer months so I use my other cookers. Like mentioned above though, it's not for everyone. Good luck!
not a bad way to go
el luchador is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-04-2017, 07:45 PM   #30
ssv3

Name/Nickname : Sako

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Embry View Post
Exactly my feelings. I started out with a Backwoods Party (still have) then a Fatboy, then a Pro Jr. One day I tasted some que that was cooked on a Gator and mine eyes were opened lol. Significantly better than what I had been cooking.
Yep! The day that pushed me over the edge to buy a stick burner was when I went to brethren GTR's house for pig picking holiday party IIRC 4 years ago. The best dang bbq I tasted ever. Greg loaded up a big zip lock bag of leftovers for me to take home and the pleasant aroma of meat and smoke filling the interior of the car is still fresh in my mind. It is different. And yes COS's kill dreams.
Blackstone Griddle Retrofit
Blackstone Pizza Oven
WSJ(K) WGA(P) WJJ(CU) W22(BI) W26(CL)
Pit Barrer Junior
Kingsford Oval (resto mod)
ssv3 is offline   Reply With Quote