MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-07-2017, 08:59 PM   #136
70monte
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by el luchador View Post
I didnt scoff, did I ?
I was actually referring to the big expensive brittle ceramics. Its my understanding that the akorn kamado is not a ceramic cooker? or is that wrong?

(uds for life \m/ )
You are correct. The Akorn is not ceramic, it is metal.
70monte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-07-2017, 09:29 PM   #137
olddawg
On the road to being a farker

I love my pellet grill no related to post but
what the hell I love my pitboss
olddawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-07-2017, 10:04 PM   #138
ElQueTraz

I think Gravity Feeds produce some of the cleanest blue smoke there is. If you like light smoke flavor, these do the trick. IMO
ElQueTraz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-08-2017, 01:21 AM   #139
One Drop

Quote:
Originally Posted by el luchador View Post
yes sir! as I said earlier in the thread, the best heat and smoke out of my stick burner was when it was down to the glowing embers and there was no smoke emanating from the cooker. It just smelled like heat and it was awesome. When I put my hand over the exhaust the smell was just pure.

now, Im not going to pretend like I know anything about anything, so maybe you can help.

in my limited understanding wood becomes embers when everything else is burned off and all that's left is carbon? and lump charcoal is carbonized wood?

now the heat I got out of the glowing lump charcoal smelled and acted like the ember stage of wood.

Pray, tell, what are the differences between red hot fresh embers and red hot lump charcoal?

(btw, I still have a bunch of pecan logs left. Guess whats going to be made out of them )
My understanding is that charcoal is almost 100% carbon, it's called char.

When wood burns with more oxygen present, it creates char, which continues to burn, and also volatile gases, which at certain temperatures impart different more or less desirable flavours to the meat that is exposed to it.

Those embers burning still have some volatile gases present to impart flavour to the meat, the burning char does impart flavour ss well, but far less, and less complex.

So charcoal is a purer form of carbon than embers from burning logs.

Last edited by One Drop; 12-08-2017 at 11:45 AM..
One Drop is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-08-2017, 07:33 AM   #140
bonz50
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Drop View Post
My understanding is that charcoal is almost 100% carbon, it's called char.

When wood burns with more oxygen present, it creates char, which continues two burn, and also volatile gases, which at certain temperatures impart different more or less desirable flavours to the meat that is exposed to it.

Those embers burning still have some volatile gases present to impart flavour to the meat, the burning char does impart flavour ss well, but far less, and less complex.

So charcoal is a purer form of carbon than embers from burning logs.
Karau: "The key point is that wood is not a fuel, it is a fuel source. When wood is heated, it decomposes into two fuels: charcoal (a solid fuel that burns in a surface oxidation) and smoke (a gaseous fuel that either burns as flame or escapes the firebox unburned to re-condense in the cook box as creosote). I say again, smoke is a fuel. It contains about half of the total caloric content of wood. It burns as a flame with sufficient heat and oxygen present…."

https://amazingribs.com/model/smoker/karubecue-c-60-pit

pretty interesting tidbit about the nature of wood fuel

[B]WSM 18.5", Weber Genesis Gold B, Blackstone 36" griddle, OK Joe Longhorn
[/B]
bonz50 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-08-2017, 09:08 AM   #141
barry w

This post has been great to follow. I have not been persuaded to sell my stick burner. It is the process that I love to do, always has been for me. The process goes way back for me to when we would pull a pig off the feed floor and smoke it for friends. The food and the gathering were nice but the enjoyment really was the over night hanging out with the skeleton crew. Now that I am retired the long cooks come more often.
barry w is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-08-2017, 09:53 AM   #142
6_Myles
Got Wood.

excellent thread to read.

I enjoy all the various ways I can cook meat, all at different times, and all for different reasons.

'It takes all kinds' - My Grandma Iris

Old 12-08-2017, 10:49 AM   #143
bcm1947
Found some matches.

Name/Nickname : bobby

I am new on this forum, but have frequented it numerous times over the past couple of years. I am just a backyard enthusiast and my only cooker is an 18.5 WSM. I am responding to this post, because I have often thought I would like to have a stick burner, but my determination to make good bbq on what I already own (18.5 WSM) has kept me plugging on with it. I wanted to get away from briquettes and the Minion method and just go with lump charcoal.
My method in the WSM is top and bottom vents fully open, and use lump charcoal which gives me a clean burn (nice blue smoke) and add my smoke wood in small chunks, not large chunks to the lump charcoal bed. I prefabbed a smaller diameter charcoal ring to keep my lump grouped together for better burning. I light 1/2 chimney of lump initially with a small wood chunk on bottom and one on top of the lump. when my coals are ignited and burning good they go into the smaller diameter ring. My temps run about 250 to 275 degrees. I add prelit lump and a prelit chunk of smoke wood periodically thru the door to hold these temps. This method gets the smoke flavor and smoke ring I desire. I am just using lump charcoal as my heat source. It needs fuel added periodically just like a sticky burner. My substitute for a stick burner. Thank You
bcm1947 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-08-2017, 11:47 AM   #144
One Drop

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcm1947 View Post
I am new on this forum, but have frequented it numerous times over the past couple of years. I am just a backyard enthusiast and my only cooker is an 18.5 WSM. I am responding to this post, because I have often thought I would like to have a stick burner, but my determination to make good bbq on what I already own (18.5 WSM) has kept me plugging on with it. I wanted to get away from briquettes and the Minion method and just go with lump charcoal.
My method in the WSM is top and bottom vents fully open, and use lump charcoal which gives me a clean burn (nice blue smoke) and add my smoke wood in small chunks, not large chunks to the lump charcoal bed. I prefabbed a smaller diameter charcoal ring to keep my lump grouped together for better burning. I light 1/2 chimney of lump initially with a small wood chunk on bottom and one on top of the lump. when my coals are ignited and burning good they go into the smaller diameter ring. My temps run about 250 to 275 degrees. I add prelit lump and a prelit chunk of smoke wood periodically thru the door to hold these temps. This method gets the smoke flavor and smoke ring I desire. I am just using lump charcoal as my heat source. It needs fuel added periodically just like a sticky burner. My substitute for a stick burner. Thank You
Interesting approach!

Old 12-08-2017, 12:08 PM   #145
baconator
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

I have a small Chargriller cheap offset smoker at home. It is very labor intensive to maintain temperature control. I end up using hardwood chunks about the size of two fists and just monitoring it continuously. It is fun when I have time and I get pretty good results. About once a year I do a large cook for a group of people at church. We rent a Bubba grill (250g I think)and cook about 45 racks of ribs. I am amazed at how stable the temperatures are on the Bubba grill. It needs very little input. It turns out some great BBQ with pretty consistent smoke. I would love to buy one for home use someday!
Mike
baconator is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-08-2017, 12:51 PM   #146
bcm1947
Found some matches.

I use white oak and hickory for smoking wood mostly. That clean burn I get with the vents fully open and the lump for a heat source, pretty much alleviates the white smoke. I had problems at first keeping my temps down, but now that i've learned how much lump to light each time I add charcoal, my results have improved. Just trying to get what I believe tastes more like bbq cooked on a stick burner without having a stick burner. I do mostly pulled pork for my family and church friends.

Old 12-08-2017, 01:09 PM   #147
pjtexas1
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Texas Pete

i am very surprised that so many are burning separate fires of lump just to add to their charcoal cookers. not that it is wrong but i just did not realize people did this. i learn new stuff here all the time.
SF 24x36 Midnight Edition / Mak 1-Star /Abe's 48" Insulated Cabinet / 22.5 OTG / 28" BS / Jimmy with CB Roti and pizza kit / Red Box on custom cart / Char-Griller Kettle / Barrel House Cooker / Pit Boss Copperhead / Char-Griller Akorn Jr

pjtexas1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-08-2017, 01:12 PM   #148
W.I.T.W.A.G?
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Jeff

Personally I love that stick burning takes all of the extra attention. To me it makes BBQ an active thing rather than just set it and forget it. I like managing a fire AND the flavor that comes with it. I see where you're coming from though it's not easy, and if you cant tell the flavor difference I could see where it would be tough to keep struggling.

Why Is The Whiskey Always Gone?
[url]http://www.ironsidesmokers.com[/url]
W.I.T.W.A.G? is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-08-2017, 01:49 PM   #149
bcm1947
Found some matches.

Aaron Franklin talks about the importance of good air flow in bbq pits. He keeps his pit drafting good with that blue smoke coming out the stack. That's why I keep all my vents wide open and just add enough already lit lump charcoal to the smoker to keep a good bed of coals working for me. It burns very clean.

Old 12-08-2017, 07:41 PM   #150
4ever3
somebody shut me the fark up.

BUILD A UDS!!!!

(well chit, someone had ta say it)

Old Oklahoma Joe (Opal)
GMG TREK (Greta Thunberg)
Weber Summit Charcoal (Waylon)
MAK 2 Star (Maybel)

2x “Unfortunately nothing wrong with that” Bob C Que…
I must be living right (somehow…)
4ever3 is offline   Reply With Quote