Texas rib rub

Beef I assume?

Here is one I tried on brisket. I am a novice, so tread carefully!

1/3 cup kosher salt * * * * * * * * * *
1/2 cup black pepper
1tbsp onion powder
1tbsp garlic powder
2 tsp chipotle powder
1 tbsp paprika
1tsp mustard
1/2 tsp cumin

I don't know what your definition of "a lot of sugar" is, but this one is 2 parts sugar to 8 parts non-sugar:

Rib Rub

3 tbsp paprika

2 tbsp kosher salt

2 tbsp brown sugar

1 tbsp garlic powder

1 tbsp dried mustard

1 tbsp ginger

You could probably cut the sugar in half if you are so inclined.

I used use a similar rub to what "snowocean" has posted for beef. I have found that a good high quality commercially prepared rub can be outstanding and can save me a lot of time ordering, mixing and making the rubs. There are thousands of rubs available on the net if you wish to experiment.

Now I use OakRidge Santa Maria Steak rub on beef ribs. However a little sugar goes great with pork ribs. OakRidge Dominator Rib Rub is great on pork ribs..

I sure do Salt & Black Pepper or if ya want to get all fancy with it Season salt or Slap Ya Momma a touch of Cayenne , Black pepper and a pinch of comino

We prefer spicy over sweet. I found this rib rub on a Southern cooking site and we like it. It makes enough for a full rack of spares, more than enough for SLC's and BB's:

• 2 tablespoons paprika
• 1 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
• 1 tablespoon brown sugar
• 1 teaspoon kosher salt
• 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
• 2 teaspoons of Cajun seasoning (like Slap Ya Mama), or to taste
• 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
• 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
• 1/2 teaspoon cumin

http://www.deepsouthdish.com/2010/03/southern-style-dry-rub-pork-ribs.html#axzz2vQH31wwA

Salt, pepper, granulated garlic and some smoked paprika (to give em' a purdy mahogany color) is all I use. Any more seasoning than that begins to disrupt the natural flavor of the pork IMO.:-D

I use a creole salt (like Tony's Creole), black pepper, some mixture of red peppers including some chipotle and a little cayenne, smoked and non-smoked paprika, probably ends up tasting a lot like a more complex peppers version of oldbill's above.

Back