MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-06-2020, 10:35 AM   #31
darita
is One Chatty Farker

If you want max smoke flavor, then go for a MAK. Yoder may do the same, but I don't have any experience with them and haven't read a lot of comparisons on them. All accounts are, they are great cookers. Cookshack and Rec Tec have good reps as well.

Old 07-06-2020, 09:27 PM   #32
jham0077
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : jham0077

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ Freak View Post
I love my Rec-Tec 590 so far and everyone rants about their customer service if you ever have a problem . I get the same flavor profile as my stick burner with it using the right pellets and shocked me since I have using stick burners my whole life but pleased with my purchase .
That's the last thing I needed to read...I'm thinking very seriously about one of those. And this is the last place I need to come. Nobody here will talk me out of it, just get me deeper in the hole.
RecTeq 590 - Woodhouse
XL Big Green Egg(lite basket case, bringing it back)
jham0077 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-06-2020, 09:58 PM   #33
rm41400
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Ry

Ok so... I’m loving my Mak 2 star (and my Grilla chimp is pretty cool) BUT I totally disagree that a pellet will match a stick burner In smoke profile (sorry not trying to be contentious with some very experienced brethren above but I gotta speak MY truth).

I smoked a few butts last night @ 225-250 for 12+ hrs then wrapped and finished. They had a light pleasant smoke but not a true traditional smoke.

Had several compliments on the Q but it’s not like my Shirley. Better or worse? That’s very subjective. I’m happy I have a few cookers to choose from depending on my circumstances and love to feed some friends even when I am short on time and energy.

I know this.. when I putt the word out that my Shirley is being fired up my buddies show up in droves to putt their meat on it. Not the same hurry with my other smokers.

Again I Love my Primo and Mak 2 and they will be here until they die but that’s just my observations
Santa Maria 42”

Last edited by rm41400; 07-06-2020 at 10:11 PM..
rm41400 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-06-2020, 10:09 PM   #34
rm41400
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Ry

Follow up- Stick Burners aren’t going away or dying out anytime soon despite technology.... smoke what you can, how you can smoke it and enjoy it! You won’t be disappointed. I’ve never been yet with the fine tips from here
Santa Maria 42”
rm41400 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-06-2020, 10:17 PM   #35
BillN
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Bill

Only seen one mention of the Green Mountain Grills. Can anyone comment on the new Prime Models?
PK 360 w/Grill Grates
BillN is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-06-2020, 10:21 PM   #36
ASAT
Knows what a fatty is.

I totally agree, I smoked two butts for the 4th on the Bull and they were great! But they had a different smoke profile- I used cookinpellets 100% hickory and it’s not the same as my UDS or charcoal smoker grill, I am guessing not anywhere near stickburner “potential” flavor unless you prefer a lighter profile. I’ll let you know as soon as I get my offset dialed in... ��
ASAT is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-07-2020, 05:15 AM   #37
PostOak
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Name/Nickname : Mike

Good morning first post here but I’ve been BBQing for years. I cooked on a 22.5 WSM for several years until I got the urge to buy a pellet grill. I bought a Yoder YS640S and couldn’t be happier. I don’t have any experience with the other American made pellet cookers but Yoder puts out a quality product. Everything from smash burgers on Cast Iron, to reverse seared Tomahawks on grill grates, to Brisket and Pork it does a great job. I’m very happy with my purchase.

Last edited by PostOak; 07-07-2020 at 05:32 AM..
PostOak is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-07-2020, 07:09 PM   #38
Dirk41
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Admittedly, this is frivolous, but does any company offer a control screen as cool as Camp Chef?
Dirk41 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-07-2020, 07:22 PM   #39
gtsum
Babbling Farker

Default Best pellet smoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm41400 View Post
Ok so... I’m loving my Mak 2 star (and my Grilla chimp is pretty cool) BUT I totally disagree that a pellet will match a stick burner In smoke profile (sorry not trying to be contentious with some very experienced brethren above but I gotta speak MY truth).

I smoked a few butts last night @ 225-250 for 12+ hrs then wrapped and finished. They had a light pleasant smoke but not a true traditional smoke.

Had several compliments on the Q but it’s not like my Shirley. Better or worse? That’s very subjective. I’m happy I have a few cookers to choose from depending on my circumstances and love to feed some friends even when I am short on time and energy.

I know this.. when I putt the word out that my Shirley is being fired up my buddies show up in droves to putt their meat on it. Not the same hurry with my other smokers.

Again I Love my Primo and Mak 2 and they will be here until they die but that’s just my observations

I would tend to agree with you. In the last few years, I’ve had a yoder 640, Memphis elite, and a gmg daves Crockett. I liked them all (especially the yoder...it was a very versatile cooker)...but the flavor isn’t anywhere as good as when I burn oak and hickory splits on my M1 cooker. Not that the food wasn’t good on my pellets (lumberjack 100% hickory and 100% cherry used), but it never had the same depth of flavor as my stick burner. They are great for convenience for sure. And I did prefer the pellets over past gravity feed and ceramic kamado cookers I’ve had.

I also think maybe my taste buds and preferences have changed a bit as I’ve gotten older. I tend to need and want a little more pow!! in the flavor...little more salt, more spice, etc these days...more smoke flavor too I guess...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited by gtsum; 07-07-2020 at 07:27 PM..
gtsum is offline   Reply With Quote