MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-21-2020, 08:20 PM   #1
okiej
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Jeff
Default Baking Multiple Baked potato's Time?

I need to bake about 20 large russett baked potato's in the oven. I have never done that many at once. I usually bake at 425 for about an hour on the really large ones. How long should I plan to do 20? It's been so long since I posted a question, I almost forgot how Thanks in advance. This awesome place is always helpful! I also plan to keep them in a warm ice chest until serving, maybe a couple hours. Would that effect the cook time?
okiej is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-21-2020, 10:03 PM   #2
ShadowDriver
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Marc

I've never done that quantity before - capped off here at about 5-6...

I've been using Alton Brown's 350 for an hour (lately, that's turned into about 75 minutes) with the spuds coated in oil (of some sort) and then coated in salt or (my recent absolute favorite) Cavender's Greek Seasoning. I give 'em a gentle squeeze to make sure all is well before I pull / slice / serve.

I'd expect that if you're in a typical oven, you shouldn't have to tweak the time much... maybe 15-20 minutes, especially if it's running on gas.

Take that with a grain of salt, especially if you've been getting the really farkin' big ones. I shoot for middle of the road.

Thanks from: --->
Old 09-21-2020, 10:16 PM   #3
okiej
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Jeff

Thanks ShadowDriver. They are jumbo's. I also usually squeeze to check doneness. I like mine a little softer than the wife. I Olive oil the wife's because she likes to eat the skin. I could care less because I never eat the skin. I do really like the one's I sometime's get at a restaurant that have salt on the outside (salt fiend run's in my family). I never tried Cavenders on them, but I like Cavender's. At this time I am allowing up to 2 hours at 400 and I will squeeze to test. Pending input from the Brethren
okiej is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-22-2020, 07:08 AM   #4
LloydQ
is Blowin Smoke!

The quantity should not matter nearly as much as the size.
LloydQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-22-2020, 07:19 AM   #5
Shiz-Nit
Babbling Farker

We have done around 100 baked potatoes for a catering gig before.
We put them on a smoker early and get them done then just put them in a large cooler to hold them until serving time.
Just remember with that many jumbo potatoes you have you will have some carry over cooking with all the residual heat generated off of them.
I advise get them done early and hold them in a cooler.

Instagram - bluegrasssouthernsmokers

Deep South GC28
Forno Venetzia wood fired pizza oven
Weber Summit S-670 natural gasser
Traeger pellet pooper
BGE's
Shiz-Nit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-22-2020, 08:21 AM   #6
ModelMaker
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I have never made baked taters without putting them in the micro. 5 to 6 taters for 4 minutes. It gets the insides all jazzed up resulting in less oven time.
So maybe throw 10 in the micro for 8 - 10 minutes, tear up 10 sheets of foil, remove, wrap, repeat.
Just a thought.
Ed
Extremely seasoned hand hammered Wok
Pit Boss-HART BURN Competition BBQ Team
KCBS certified judge

And Your not the boss of me either!!
ModelMaker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-22-2020, 09:46 AM   #7
BobBrisket

Name/Nickname : Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModelMaker View Post
I have never made baked taters without putting them in the micro. 5 to 6 taters for 4 minutes. It gets the insides all jazzed up resulting in less oven time.
So maybe throw 10 in the micro for 8 - 10 minutes, tear up 10 sheets of foil, remove, wrap, repeat.
Just a thought.
Ed
Well, no micro here, BUT.....I do boil them now till soft. I know how we feel about boiling!!! Started doing it cause I had to start them too early in the grill just to get done. Boil till soft, wrap in foil, I no longer coat or treat the skin. Family doesn't eat it, but I do. Wrap in foil and then I put em on the hot end near or on top of coals so the skin and surface get a bit toasted and sets up better. Kids like them super soft. They add lots of sour cream, cheese, and butter. I have tried the micro, but with larger baker taters, it was tough to find the right amount of time and I noticed that they would sometimes be either still not fully cooked internally or the inside would be grainy and kids didn't like em much that way. Steaming is great too, but the steamer I have can only handle smaller ones and I usually make 4-5 taters at once.

Bob

But agree that if you get them started early in the grill, etc. they will get done.
PBC-Courtesy of Poobah, 22.5 Weber Kettles-A, K, DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle Black and Red, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver, Lil' Chief Smoker, Discada Set Up,OKJ Highland Offset.
BobBrisket Jr.-MUDS, WSJ Silver
My BEST Compliment....."You're a good cooker, Dad!"--My Son :)
Miss You, Marty and Bull! RIP
BobBrisket is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-22-2020, 09:56 AM   #8
Mike Twangzer
is Blowin Smoke!

Yeah .... boil .... throw them into the pot with the ribs sorry
Mike Twangzer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-22-2020, 10:21 AM   #9
1MoreFord
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Joe

Back as a youngster in High School I worked at a Bonanza Steak House.

We cooked multiple full sheet pans of potatoes at a time. As I recall we cooked at 425-450° for an hour. As someone else said before me. Numbers don't matter as much as size here. BTW we also probed the taters for doneness. Dare I say it? When they probed like butter they were done.

Falcon MK V gaseous grill w/Grill Grates, OK Joe Longhorn w/ vertical - now gone, Char Griller Akorn, Camp Chef PG24SG, Weber 22" OTG w/SNS components
1MoreFord is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-22-2020, 11:27 AM   #10
cdhbrad
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : CurtisH

I always like to eat the skin on a baked potato or use it when making a "Twice Baked Potato" casserole. I put olive oil on the skins and wrap in foil and roast at 325-350 til soft to the squeeze, probe, however you want to test for doneness. Skins are always done and not hard. I don't pay attention to time, only the feel.

If you are transporting these or even just putting out to serve, you might want to consider wrapping in foil given all the current concerns about touching food, etc. etc. You know where I'm going with that.
cdhbrad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-22-2020, 05:49 PM   #11
Learning to BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

I have never done 20, but we always nuke them to get them going. Sometimes I like no foil, the Missus likes foiled. Either way, almost always oiled and large flake salt. Finish on the grill or oven. I agree with the above post about foiling. Good idea in these times probably, and will keep them warmer longer. There will be carry over cooking, but can you really over cook a potato? I dunno.

UDS, 22" Weber Original kettle, Weber Smokey Joe
Learning to BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-22-2020, 06:17 PM   #12
shaddie
Got Wood.

Name/Nickname : Bruce

Instapot baker taters are the best. Very moist. Of course I haven’t found one big enough for your quantity. 😆
shaddie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-22-2020, 10:41 PM   #13
TravelingJ
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Justin

I seem to recall reading on Cooks Illustrated (or a similar site) about how you should break them open right away so the steam can escape. Is that not an issue with baking and holding?

I still can't dial in the potatoes the way I want. It seems when I get the skin nice and crispy, it's usually over cooked by the skin and it's now inedible.
TravelingJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-23-2020, 09:58 AM   #14
1MoreFord
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Joe

Back to the Bonanza days. We held potatoes but I don't remember what temp we used. We dumped them into a warming drawer in or next to the oven. Held that way they didn't hold forever but would go at least an hour or two at good quality. The big problems we usually had were keeping up with demand during the rush and gauging when to start preparing for the evening rush and when to stop.

Falcon MK V gaseous grill w/Grill Grates, OK Joe Longhorn w/ vertical - now gone, Char Griller Akorn, Camp Chef PG24SG, Weber 22" OTG w/SNS components
1MoreFord is offline   Reply With Quote