MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-04-2019, 09:20 PM   #1
wdetrick
Found some matches.

Default Thoughts and Advice on GF Smokers

Hey everyone!
I need some input regarding gravity feed smokers. I am shopping around and gathering information/ reviews on many of the different makers and stopping in some of my local BBQ shops to pick their brains about things.

(Back story: I was initially thinking about going for a Lone Star Grillz Vertical offset before I was turned onto the GF smokers. I currently smoke on an old Brinkmann Trail master and a New Braunfels Offset Vertical.)

Can I get your thoughts on the following:

Deep South GC 28
Myron Mixon G33

Any other suggestions I need to be looking at? Those are the 2 that I found in my local stores that I liked. I would like a big pit so I can smoke a lot of meat for family/ friends as well as possibly catering. I also like it when things come standard on the unit. (i.e. Nice wheels for somewhat off roading/ wheeling it to my backyard, Water pan, easy to clean grates, etc…)

Thanks for your help and input!
wdetrick is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-05-2019, 05:41 AM   #2
Pappy Q
is One Chatty Farker

Look at Southern Q Limo or Limo Jr. Also T&K Smokers.
Pappy Q is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-05-2019, 05:57 AM   #3
morningwoodbbq
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Pete

The MM G33 is pretty darn big.

I have the MM G20. Not sure what else to say about it other than it does exactly what I want and don't know if there's anything to change to make it better. They are expensive, but buying locally helps on saving shipping costs ($$$$).

I went with the MM G20 and a couple smaller pits. This way I can have one going at 250° with sugar maple, another at 325° with apple & cherry. Last at 275° with red oak. Gives me different cooks for different meats. Plus you get the bonus of having multiple cookers.

Old 04-05-2019, 01:06 PM   #4
wdetrick
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy Q View Post
Look at Southern Q Limo or Limo Jr. Also T&K Smokers.
I'll definitely check those 2 out as well, thanks!

Old 04-05-2019, 01:09 PM   #5
wdetrick
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by morningwoodbbq View Post
The MM G33 is pretty darn big.

I have the MM G20. Not sure what else to say about it other than it does exactly what I want and don't know if there's anything to change to make it better. They are expensive, but buying locally helps on saving shipping costs ($$$$).

I went with the MM G20 and a couple smaller pits. This way I can have one going at 250° with sugar maple, another at 325° with apple & cherry. Last at 275° with red oak. Gives me different cooks for different meats. Plus you get the bonus of having multiple cookers.
I'm leaning more towards the Mixon out of the 2 that I saw, but the price tag was pretty hefty. I guess I just want to know if it is work the money or if I should go with another one. The shops around me are night and day with their opinions on the different makers. One was extremely positive of the mixon while the other said some choice words about it (I'm assuming of Myron) and said he never cares to see or sell anything with that name.

Old 04-05-2019, 01:30 PM   #6
cpw
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Chad

I don't have any experience with the Mixon smokers, but the Deep South is built like a tank. I've used a GC 36 for several years now, and never had any issues with it.
Yoder YS640
Savannah, GA
Yes, Dear BBQ on Facebook
Proudly sponsored by Royal Oak Charcoal and The Atlanta BBQ store
cpw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-05-2019, 02:43 PM   #7
morningwoodbbq
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdetrick View Post
I'm leaning more towards the Mixon out of the 2 that I saw, but the price tag was pretty hefty. I guess I just want to know if it is work the money or if I should go with another one. The shops around me are night and day with their opinions on the different makers. One was extremely positive of the mixon while the other said some choice words about it (I'm assuming of Myron) and said he never cares to see or sell anything with that name.
The other guy is likely against the name. I have only seen the G9, G20 and G33's in person all at the same place. It doesn't look like any corners were cut in the build. Top notch all around. Friend is getting an Assassin in a couple weeks, so that'll be the only other GF I'll be able to compare too as I haven't seen any others in person. I can't imagine there is anything bad about any of them....purely down to personal preference and how much change you find in the couch to pay for it.

My thoughts when I was shopping: I was down to a few options when I was shopping. I was looking at the MM G20, an Assassin of the same size, and a Stumps of the same size (maybe a couple others too). How I settled on the MM G20 is that it was 10% off, it was 3 miles away from me so I didn't have to pay ~$700 in shipping, and it was 3 miles away so I could have it that day instead of waiting 2 months.

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-05-2019, 02:50 PM   #8
Smoking Piney
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : John

Assassin?

I love mine.

Worth the research.................

Assassin 24
XL BGE
Weber Kettle with rotisserie and Vortex
Ooni 3 Pizza Oven
AMNPS
Smoking Piney is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-05-2019, 03:32 PM   #9
ElQueTraz
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpw View Post
I don't have any experience with the Mixon smokers, but the Deep South is built like a tank. I've used a GC 36 for several years now, and never had any issues with it.

Definitely agree.. The racks, body, insulation,.etc are top notch.
Could almost be used as a tornado shelter. :-)
ElQueTraz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-05-2019, 03:51 PM   #10
OlyQ
Full Fledged Farker

they might all have wheels but any good size gravity feed pit are heavy beasts that can be a process to move around or be mobile
*Da-Fridge-Smoker
*BlackStone Pizza Oven
OlyQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-05-2019, 04:43 PM   #11
scribe9154
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Check out assasin it's a quality product

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
scribe9154 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-05-2019, 08:30 PM   #12
SmittyJonz
somebody shut me the fark up.

I'd get a Blue One or Dark Grey...........

Old 04-05-2019, 08:36 PM   #13
NCT
On the road to being a farker

GC28 is a beast. With a guru or other like device, you can get plenty of sleep and not worry about anything. I will also say you can easily get two briskets on each rack.

Old 04-06-2019, 11:01 AM   #14
wdetrick
Found some matches.

This is all great input, thank you all! My dilemma is that the shipping cost of anything would be $500+. One of the shops (the one closest to me, which is less than a mile down the road) said that they would be willing to load it up in one of their trucks and bring it to me free. This shop sells the Mixon brand. I can't tell if people just don't like Myron Mixon or if those GF smokers are a waste of money.... Lots of mixed things that I've heard and read on a bunch of forums.

All of the smokers i've looked at online seem to be built very well and many positive reviews saying "it does the job". Maybe it just comes down to cost and what I view as beneficial for my smoking preferences/ cleaning? It also doesn't help that i'm very indecisive right now since I just started doing my research on GF smokers (3 months ago).

Old 04-06-2019, 11:23 AM   #15
SmittyJonz
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdetrick View Post
This is all great input, thank you all! My dilemma is that the shipping cost of anything would be $500+. One of the shops (the one closest to me, which is less than a mile down the road) said that they would be willing to load it up in one of their trucks and bring it to me free. This shop sells the Mixon brand. I can't tell if people just don't like Myron Mixon or if those GF smokers are a waste of money.... Lots of mixed things that I've heard and read on a bunch of forums.

All of the smokers i've looked at online seem to be built very well and many positive reviews saying "it does the job". Maybe it just comes down to cost and what I view as beneficial for my smoking preferences/ cleaning? It also doesn't help that i'm very indecisive right now since I just started doing my research on GF smokers (3 months ago).
PM this guy........on Mixon GF

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/s...d.php?t=270647

or T&K thru Saint Louis BBQ Store - you could drive there n back in a Day........https://www.stlbbqstore.com/t-k-smokers/
T&K's Shop is probally even closer......

Last edited by SmittyJonz; 04-06-2019 at 11:28 AM..
SmittyJonz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gravity fed smoker, Myron Mixon G33