The BIG BUTT experiment test: *** 5 Hours and complete.....SUCCESS!***

Well done my friend. Now get that thing into the "pulled" TD before tomorrows submission deadline :thumb:
Oh cool TY...didn't know there was one going on.
Very nice Keith!
Will your diffuser be able to handle all that grease without a fire happening? 4 butts then birds
I'll tell you something I learned on this cook. It was a good move to remove most of the fat cap for a couple of reasons.

One is that i had more bark, the other is I noticed very little fat on the diffuser and none in the bottom when i cleaned it out. Now that could have been the butt or because i took off lots of the cap. Either way I'm going to scrape off the diffuser and empty out the bottom before doing the chickens.

Thank you. Oh maybe an hour. I pulled some after 30 but it was way to hot and finished a little later.

Thanks. To cook that hot and not need a long hot rest to make the butt tender seems remarkable. The boundary of hot 'n fast is getting more and more elastic.

Cool.......clean bones in no time.....and without it falling into the abyss......

I always worry about you "hanging people" & the stuff getting too done & falling off the hooks.......just an uninformed worry-wart, I guess.....:loco:

Cool.......clean bones in no time.....and without it falling into the abyss......

I always worry about you "hanging people" & the stuff getting too done & falling off the hooks.......just an uninformed worry-wart, I guess.....:loco:

LOL, I'll be the guinea pig! ... The way i was looking at it as Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained type of thing. Now if I can do four 9 lbers in 6 hours without fussing with pulling and foil wrapping I'll be a happy camper...just means more sleep!

I don't think I would have tried it without a safety net so having that grate sitting below it made me feel a tad better.

There will be 4 hooks in each so I figure that will spread out the weight to 2 lbs per hook after they lose some fat weight. As long as the meat is hooked in different places and spread out it should be good. Worst case for me is i scoop it off the bottom.

Just sunday I had a pork chop go caveman while I was testing the others for probe tender. Stuff can/does fall, just got to be fast to recover :wink:

Thanks. To cook that hot and not need a long hot rest to make the butt tender seems remarkable. The boundary of hot 'n fast is getting more and more elastic.

What I'm looking for is someone to successfully hang butts in a tandoor oven. (But I'm betting that an hour or two of hot rest would be necessary then.)

What I'm looking for is someone to successfully hang butts in a tandoor oven. (But I'm betting that an hour or two of hot rest would be necessary then.)

Tandoori's cook up to like 600-700*? This cook was 425* most of the cook so I'd go up to 500* I think and not be worried. Sure as heck wouldn't cook it on a grate though @ those temps unwrapped.

I sure hope someone takes on this challenge. If i see a pork butt slapped onto the wall of a tandoori I will lose it.

The pulled pork looked amazing. Great cook there and yes, the bark looked money. I would "accidentally" save a bunch of the bark pieces.

hey, there has to be some advantage to being the cook

Tandoori's cook up to like 600-700*? This cook was 425* most of the cook so I'd go up to 500* I think and not be worried. Sure as heck wouldn't cook it on a grate though @ those temps unwrapped.

Hey, maybe you could take it out several times during a hanging cook in a tandoor and conduct serial barkectomies--avoiding carbonization and reserving all the layers to mix in with the pull at the end.

I sure hope someone takes on this challenge. If i see a pork butt slapped onto the wall of a tandoori I will lose it.

The pulled pork looked amazing. Great cook there and yes, the bark looked money. I would "accidentally" save a bunch of the bark pieces.

hey, there has to be some advantage to being the cook

That would necessitate a barkecktomie every few seconds

Back