leg of lamb smoke?

I have not done a leg of lamb - but have smoked 4-5 lamb shoulders

I smoke em just like a pork shoulder - actually like better than pulled pork

Pulled lamb - on a pita - with tzatziki sauce - tough to beat

appreciate the reply.

just looked at the package again, and it's labeled as "Lamb Semi Leg".

smoke to same temp as pulled pork?

seasonings?

Thanks!

Yes - I smoked until probe tender (was around 205) - used a slather of Texas Pete - then used black pepper and Malcom Reed Gyro rub - but any Greek seasoning would work

I assume that is semi-boneless leg of lamb.

I've never tried the "until falling apart" approach. Yet.

My preference is 135F for medium rare - take out when temp is about 130.

Halve fresh garlic cloves inserted into slits made by stabbing it with a thin boning knife. I use 6-10 cloves.

Mix 1/3 cup Olive oil and chopped fresh rosemary and smear over all sides.

If not too big it'll fit into a gallon ziploc.
I do this in the morning for an afternoon cook.

Smoke at 225-250F. I've used hickory or apple.

Hello! Just noticed this. with respect to the other posters, a leg is not a shoulder, regardless of the donor animal. You can and should try pulling a shoulder. Not so with a leg. As it is in netting, it is boned out and possibly not a full leg.

Keep it simple and smoke it hot and fast. Season with celery salt and pepper. Celery salt is fantastic on lamb. If using a commercial rub, I do like Todds Dirt (Original). If you want a little more spice, try any Creole style rub. These are always good with lamb.

If you want to go Greek style, then lots of garlic and oregano with lemon is a hit.

Pull it at 130 to 140 F and rest. Personally I like it too rare for most tastes. I've pulled at 110 F but that's just me.

Slice thin, reserves the juices perhaps for a gravy.

Good luck! Hope to see your results!

Cheers!

Bill

Try this

Follow link and use thirdeyes suggestions
Leg of lamb question?

It works

I regularly do lamb shoulder as well but imo the rear leg would not work as well going to pulled temps as front leg shoulder. The link above is for the rear leg which I think you have
Dang, I had forgotten about that thread, thanks for reviving it. đź‘Ť And I agree about the difference between cooking a shoulder and a leg. I also prefer domestic lamb.

I'd appreciate your favorite hints, tips, tricks, and observations/advice.

I've never done one, so looking for help.

Thanks!
For future reference, and a good way to experiment with pulled lamb, pick up a lamb breast, they include both the breastplate and some lamb ribs. The photo shows (2) breasts.
vrIKjGj.jpg

Dkcl6YA.jpg

KLFuGav.jpg

Thirdeye

Just wanted to thank you again for your help on that thread. Leg of Lamb is one of the go to cooks now since adopting your technique.
I load up the UDS with 2 or 3 legs and freeze leftovers in meal size amounts. I make a little extra of your injection and add that to each bag and it reheats fabulously. Had it last night on some flour tortillas with a whipped feta topping, Outstanding!

Back