• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

What Temps do you like?

backyardchef

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
No matter what, I almost always wind up cooking between 240-260. I guess it's just the way I build my fires. I've been known to keep it around 225, too, but not usually. Recently, I've even heard people talking about cooking at higher temps, even for brisket doing the live fast, die hard kind of thing. Anybody have any luck with that, and in general what temps are most people comfortable with...?

depends on what you're cooking and how fast you need it done. In general for ribs, shoulder and brisket i stay between 220- 230

The only time I crank the heat is when I am in a rush to get a piece of meat off the cooker. Like a butt that is hanging out at 185-190 or so; if I am in a hurry, I will crank the heat to about 270-275 to get that last push to 195-200. I have done it several times and the meat is still wonderful. As for the primary cook, I always stay in the low-and-slow range of 220-230.

Ribs- mid 200's.
Brisket, butts, and chickie-low 300's.
Works for me and has paid well :lol:

TIM

225* for everything til it's done
Gotta remember, fat melts at 225*

mostly 220 to 250 for briskets, butts, fatties etc. Fowl and better cuts of beef are usually higher..especially fowl.

been lurink here for a while finly dicide to post.

When I was using my silver smoker I kept the temps around 240-260 because if found it was easyer to maintain that smoker at those higer temps. Now that i have my gator i keep the temps around 220-240 because i found it is easyer to matain that pit at those lower temps.

Chris

Butts and brisket go for 12 to 14 hours on my gourmet and the temp is between 190 and 220, then foiled and into the Bandera for finish at 240 to 260. Ribs on the Dera go the same and I do my chicken on the horizontal silver smoker between 225 and 275, depending on which end you temp check.

I like temps in the upper 70's with low humidity8)

In the pit, offsets 235 for pork or beef, 275-300 for chicken/turkey.

Post #3000, again.

You could be right, maybe something's going wrong when I bend over to feed her my wood.
icon_smile_blush.gif

I actually don't have a problem with those temps for most things, and I can't imagine having to say that "Dirk's getting heated up" outside.
icon_smile_disapprove.gif

In general from lowest to highest:

Cheese.......<120°
Salmon.......140° - 300°
Brisket........220° - 250°
Prime Rib.....225° -300°
Country Ribs...225° - 300°
Sausage........225° - 350°
Ribs............250° +/- (BB's higher)
Butt.............250° - 275°
Chicken....... 255° -350°
Lamb.......... 275° - 500°
Pizza.......... 450°
Steak ........500° - 750°

Brisket & Butts-225-250
Spares 200-225
Beer Butt Chicken-250-300
Fatties- Whatever everything else is cooking at

Temp.s

Same temps. that I try to hold when I cook! For meatloaf, brined turkey, spare ribs and rib tips, chicken wings. All except other chicken parts (other than wings) do I like to cook hotter. But just to get an edible skin. For some reason my wing skin turns out, but leg quarters and such need hotter!

Temperature is over-rated! I try to maintain a clean low fire and take the meat out when it is done! The temps ride a small roller coaster over the cook, but in the end, it doesn't really matter!I do watch the thermos, but, unless it is too low for an extended period such as when you add 200 lbs of cold meat to the pit, I try not to sweat it!

Back