MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-28-2015, 10:20 PM   #856
AClarke44
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Andrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpejza View Post
Used the PBC for the 1st time this past weekend. Did st louis ribs and a whole chicken. Just getting around to posting pics now. This has to be the easiest coal cooker I've ever used. I followed the instructions exactly, even the videos from the web site for the specific meat. Full basket of charcoal, 8 ounces of Weber Hickory Chunk evenly spread out, and lit 40 briquettes in my chimney. I had my thermoworks probe in the whole time just to be certain about the cooker temp. Did the ribs first, after I hung them temp was about 290. It fell to about 247 then slowly climbed back up to 288 over the 3 hour cook. I didn't mess with the cooker at all. Pulled the ribs off and hung the chicken. Temp was steady at 270 for the 2 hour cook. The last 10 minutes, I place the grill grate over the hanging bars right side up. The handles of the grate made a gap at the lid and I was able to get the temp up to 350. I was trying to crisp up the skin. The skin didn't get as crispy as I like, next time I'll try 15 minutes. Bottom line, the PBC gives amazing flavor and you can't beat the simplicity. Can't wait until the next cook.

We ate the ribs too fast and I forgot to get a picture of the whole rack. lol.
Sounds keep you did great on your first go! Now we just gotta teach you how to post pics...lol. It all looked like it turned out very good. And yeah another 5 minutes at 350 would have probably gotten your chicken skin where you wanted it.
I'm diggin that Coast Guard logo too! I have the AF version.
22.5 Crimson Weber Premium
Char-Broil Big Easy Oil-Less Turker Fryer
LoCo 80qt crawfish kit

Re-homed cookers:
Black Weber OTG (Happy Hapgood)
Pit Barrel Cooker (PBC)
Char-griller Akorn
28” Blackstone Pro Series
Oklahoma Joe’s Bronco

Check out the PBC Appreciation Thread!
[url]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=210239[/url]
AClarke44 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 07-28-2015, 11:09 PM   #857
Bob C Cue
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Used the PBC for the 1st time this past weekend. Did st louis ribs and a whole chicken. Just getting around to posting pics now. This has to be the easiest coal cooker I've ever used. I followed the instructions exactly, even the videos from the web site for the specific meat. Full basket of charcoal, 8 ounces of Weber Hickory Chunk evenly spread out, and lit 40 briquettes in my chimney. I had my thermoworks probe in the whole time just to be certain about the cooker temp. Did the ribs first, after I hung them temp was about 290. It fell to about 247 then slowly climbed back up to 288 over the 3 hour cook. I didn't mess with the cooker at all. Pulled the ribs off and hung the chicken. Temp was steady at 270 for the 2 hour cook. The last 10 minutes, I place the grill grate over the hanging bars right side up. The handles of the grate made a gap at the lid and I was able to get the temp up to 350. I was trying to crisp up the skin. The skin didn't get as crispy as I like, next time I'll try 15 minutes. Bottom line, the PBC gives amazing flavor and you can't beat the simplicity. Can't wait until the next cook.

We ate the ribs too fast and I forgot to get a picture of the whole rack. lol.
Awesome job. Welcome to the PBC family.
Thermapen Classic
Thermoworks Smoke

[I]Ephesians 2:8-9
For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast[/I].
Bob C Cue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-28-2015, 11:22 PM   #858
jbounds286
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Josh

aclarke and bob...u guys need to stop conning these guys into this cooker!!!!!

jk...u guys are doing it right! lots of positive reviews on this thing! i ALMOST wish i had one....ALMOST lol
Camp Chef Flat Top Griddle, Ooni Pro 16 Multi-Fuel Pizza Oven
jbounds286 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-29-2015, 09:02 AM   #859
AClarke44
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbounds286 View Post
aclarke and bob...u guys need to stop conning these guys into this cooker!!!!!

jk...u guys are doing it right! lots of positive reviews on this thing! i ALMOST wish i had one....ALMOST lol
Lol. Almost! You can pretty much duplicate what we are doing in the Shirley. You should hang something in that warmer box and see how you like it. Ssv3, does it on his LSG with excellent results. Although he still cooks in his PBC. ....
LoCo 80qt crawfish kit

Re-homed cookers:
Pit Barrel Cooker (PBC)
Char-griller Akorn
Oklahoma Joe’s Bronco

Old 07-29-2015, 09:29 AM   #860
Fwismoker
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AClarke44 View Post
Lol. Almost! You can pretty much duplicate what we are doing in the Shirley. You should hang something in that warmer box and see how you like it. Ssv3, does it on his LSG with excellent results. Although he still cooks in his PBC. ....
Besides the Shirley he's gonna have another cooker that can do it all....spin over fire, hang, grill and hang/spin over charcoal if he wanted. I'm gonna be jealous.

Visit [COLOR="Red"]OctoForks[/COLOR] in Sales & Ventures

Website & Blog: [url]www.octoforks.com[/url]
Fwismoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-31-2015, 12:19 PM   #861
JBurn244
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AClarke44 View Post
JBurn, are you lighting your coals with lighter fluid or a chimney? If you are using a chimney you DON'T need to leave the lid off for any time frame once you dump the hot coals over the unlit coals. Just dump and put the lid back on.

Also, if you are gonna leave the lid off to check several meats, cover your intake with a leather glove or something similar, take the lid off and check your meat, them put the lid back on and wait about 5-10 minutes and the temp should not run up on you like that. I've never had mine hit 350 after checking meat but it has gone to about 320. That's when I started the glove trick. Hasn't passed 300 on me since then and the temp will drop back down pretty quick.
I did lighter fluid both times. So the time burning with the lid really effects things.

Great trick with the glove. I'll have to try that.
JBurn244 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-31-2015, 12:30 PM   #862
JBurn244
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fwismoker View Post
Glad to see people hanging corn! Now let's see some foiled baked potatoes! If you do hang them down to fire level....1 hour @ 350 on my temp gauge makes the best baked taters. Foil and poke with a knife.
Oh it was great. It was fresh sweet corn from our local farmer's market. I had never even attempted smoking corn, just let it go 1.5 hours and it was darn near perfect...tender but still a nice little snap on bites.

Old 07-31-2015, 01:54 PM   #863
tpejza
Got rid of the matchlight.

Default Question

I've had the PBC for a week today, cooked on it twice and I noticed rust on the outside at the seam where the bottom and side meet. Is this normal? I bought the cover from the PBC website and it has been covered when not in use.
tpejza is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-31-2015, 01:57 PM   #864
JBurn244
Found some matches.

Even though it's porcelain coated if you want to prevent rust you HAVE to keep the ashes cleaned out. Don't let it go more than a couple days after cooking without cleaning it out the best you can. I had an offset stick burner for over a year, and by keeping the firebox cleaned out and ash-free a day or so after cooking, I never had a speck of rust on it inside or out.

But if you've got a spot outside where the enamel has flaked off and its rusting you might just contact Noah? Don't know if he'd be willing to send you another one or not. Sounds like the kind of guy that would.

Old 07-31-2015, 02:23 PM   #865
AClarke44
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBurn244 View Post
Even though it's porcelain coated if you want to prevent rust you HAVE to keep the ashes cleaned out. Don't let it go more than a couple days after cooking without cleaning it out the best you can. I had an offset stick burner for over a year, and by keeping the firebox cleaned out and ash-free a day or so after cooking, I never had a speck of rust on it inside or out.

But if you've got a spot outside where the enamel has flaked off and its rusting you might just contact Noah? Don't know if he'd be willing to send you another one or not. Sounds like the kind of guy that would.
Very good advice!
LoCo 80qt crawfish kit

Re-homed cookers:
Pit Barrel Cooker (PBC)
Char-griller Akorn
Oklahoma Joe’s Bronco

Old 07-31-2015, 02:26 PM   #866
Fwismoker
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBurn244 View Post
Oh it was great. It was fresh sweet corn from our local farmer's market. I had never even attempted smoking corn, just let it go 1.5 hours and it was darn near perfect...tender but still a nice little snap on bites.
Yup it cooks perfect. Mine have been going about an hour but the temps are pretty high. Always nice and moist!

Visit [COLOR="Red"]OctoForks[/COLOR] in Sales & Ventures

Website & Blog: [url]www.octoforks.com[/url]
Fwismoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-31-2015, 02:28 PM   #867
tpejza
Got rid of the matchlight.

It's so new and it seems kind of fast for rust. Here is what it looks like. Does anyone else have this problem?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1610.JPG (107.3 KB, 235 views)
tpejza is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-31-2015, 02:45 PM   #868
AClarke44
Babbling Farker

Quote:
It's so new and it seems kind of fast for rust. Here is what it looks like. Does anyone else have this problem?
No, that's not normal. Get in touch with Noah and send him the pics. I bet he will replace it. Let us know what happens.
LoCo 80qt crawfish kit

Re-homed cookers:
Pit Barrel Cooker (PBC)
Char-griller Akorn
Oklahoma Joe’s Bronco

Old 08-01-2015, 06:46 AM   #869
lonestar8302
Found some matches.

Default First cook!

So my PBC arrived a few weeks ago, but I haven't been able to use it. See, first there was the typhoon, then that passed but we had lots of rain. After that was work (of course), and then daughter #2 decided "hey, time to make my grand wordwide entrance!" last week. So, finally I was able to try it out today. 9lb pork arm, seasoned with mustard and PBC beef/game rub. On at 1030, wrapped 160* at 1430, off the grill at 1845 and eating pulled pork over rice and homemade coleslaw by 2000.

I love this cooker! No having to add charcoal ever 30-45 minutes like using my weber kettle with smokenator attachment is a HUGE plus. Taking off the lid will cause the temp to shoot up--next time I'll put it back when wrapping. Not a big deal with pork but could be an issue with brisket. Also had a near disaster--right after I took off the lid one of the hooks came out of the meat. luckily I was able to get the meat onto the pan before the other hook fell out. Definitely have to do a better job on hook placement next time! Also picked up a 6lb chicken...going to start thawing it the next day or so for a monday or tuesday cook.

Here are some pictures:

Going onto PBC.

Ready to wrap!

About to be pulled.

Falling apart.

Dinner is served!

Can't have BBQ without Bourbon.
lonestar8302 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-01-2015, 08:17 AM   #870
Thingfish
is One Chatty Farker

Great first cook and nice pics too. And congrats on the new little one!
Thermoworks Smoke, Red "Backlit" Thermopen, Red ChefAlarm, Red Thermopop
Thingfish is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
hanging meat, Hooking meat, Noah Glanville, PBC, PBJ, pit barrel cooker, pit barrel junior, pork butt, set it and forget it