How to make nacho cheese?

For some reason, this reminded me of cheese crisps. When I was a wee boy growing up in Arizona this was a very common thing. Essentially, it was just a large fresh flour tortilla on a cookie sheet with grated cheeses on top. If you were really fancy you'd put sliced jalapenos or diced Hatch chiles, which I preferred. Put it in the over and cook until the bottom got crispy. Whenever we'd go out, we'd have this as an appetizer. We'd just take turns breaking or snapping off a piece until it was gone. I remember the cheese would often be a bit stretchy like pizza and those strings would make your mouth water. My mother used to make them when we had company over. I don't remember seeing this in a restaurant or on a menu in like forever. Funny how food goes out of style. Dang, now I want one. Wonder if this was just a regional thing.

photo1jpg.jpg

Thanks for sharing this, Gore! I had no idea such a simple thing was an actual menu item and originated in Tuscon Arizona. I thought this relevant:

https://www.everydaysouthwest.com/classic-cheese-crisps-recipe/

I remember cheese crisps! Apparently we had them often growing up, according to my sister.

Thanks for the tips guys! I've actually already tried everything in here at one point or another. I know we have the Sodium Citrate tucked away in a cabinet here somewhere.

I ended up going with shredded sharp cheddar, hot sauce, milk, and a bit of velveeta to keep it creamy. I've never had much luck with roux (for mac and cheese, or dipping cheese) but I'll have to give that one a shot again when I have more time.

Nacho Bar was a hit. I had made a 'carnitas style' pulled pork from a recipe I found here years ago. Tried to do as much from scratch as possible for this one, including the ground beef taco seasoning, the pickled jalapeños, 2 types of salsa, guacamole, black beans, a vegan red quinoa/black bean/lime taco 'meat' and a vegan cucumber jalapeno ranch dressing. Successful little get together .

Attachments

• IMG_0079.jpg
    IMG_0079.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_0080.jpg
    IMG_0080.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 38
Back