The Official Pellet Grill Smoker thread.

Good looking grub Robb, I haven't even messed with any multiple phase cook settings

Robb, you are spot on with MGM. The latest firmware version works perfectly, I can’t imagine running my grill without it.

For those Yoder owners that read my last post I figured out what the issue was. The spacing on my heat deflector was off a little bit. There was enough gap in the rear that heat was coming straight Up from the firebox instead of hitting the deflector. That’s why the temps were hotter and changed a lot faster. Once I made sure it was centered everything is back to normal.

I have a 2014 built with the thermocouple on the back wall so it sits right above the deflector gap. The newer models with the side probe probably won’t have this issue.

Also I found out after 17 hours you can get burn back into the hopper. The ash finally piled up high enough to smolder the pellets in the auger. It was pretty cold out my last cook so it ran a lot longer than normal. I guess I’ve figured out all its quirks in the last few months.

Still a great cooker and mine looks almost brand new. None of the paint issues others are having.

cowboy steak

found this two pound beauty at a local market.

4dI5C01h.jpg

a rubbed it down liberally with Q-salt and stuck it on the pit boss at 225° I'd prefer the kettle but it still buried by an early season snow storm.

zL4Oh9Mh.jpg

when it reached 125 I removed it to rest while I heated the grill up to 450° and slid open the sear plate. about a minute and a half per side did the trick

GcGlnAHh.jpg

I ended up eating alone

f1r97RWh.jpg

found this two pound beauty at a local market.

4dI5C01h.jpg

a rubbed it down liberally with Q-salt and stuck it on the pit boss at 225° I'd prefer the kettle but it still buried by an early season snow storm.

zL4Oh9Mh.jpg

when it reached 125 I removed it to rest while I heated the grill up to 450° and slid open the sear plate. about a minute and a half per side did the trick

GcGlnAHh.jpg

I ended up eating alone

f1r97RWh.jpg

Killer!!! I’d put that up against a kettle cooked steak any day :)

I am looking at the new Weber pellet smoker. Looks like they really did their homework. They addressed everything through truckloads of pellets and that is not a joke. Anybody get one yet?? Not even sure if they are available yet.

I am looking at the new Weber pellet smoker. Looks like they really did their homework. They addressed everything through truckloads of pellets and that is not a joke. Anybody get one yet?? Not even sure if they are available yet.

You sound like a spy :shock:

In all seriousness it looks like a pretty decent unit for the price. I won’t be getting one but they have a lot of features I would like.

To be clear, I'm interested in these eventually because I like Weber products, but I am not sure I understand the level of excitement that this announcement is generating.

People keep saying that Weber solved a bunch of problems that we had been seeing. I'm not sure I understand what problems specifically they are talking about...

It gets flaming hot like a real grill. Good, but not super important to me since I already have a Weber grill as well as my pellet grill. I found the one time that I heated up my pellet grill, I ended up starting a grease fire in it, so I'm not sure running a smoker up to grilling temperatures is a great idea to begin with.

They have a low pellet laser level. Assuming that there is no sinkhole issues, that could be helpful I guess, but I almost never run to the bottom of my hopper anyway.

It has a 22lb hopper capacity so you can dump in a full 20lb bag when the 2lb warning goes off. Great, but I just bought a bunch of 40lb bags, so that's still open bags.

They have a pellet dump out to change pellets. This isn't that uncommon if it's important to you. It also doesn't really overlap well with the previous benefit if you didn't want to have open bags sitting around.

There is a separation of the auger from the burn pot. Maybe it's more pronounced in the Weber, but my Louisiana Grills smoker seems to have a separation as well. (This probably seems to be the biggest thing that people should get excited about. Good design is good design.)

When the grill is told to turn off, the auger reverses the pellets back up into the hopper. Not sure I'm really clear on the big benefit here.

It's a short auger, which means less risk of pellets to jam up in.

They tested it in rain. I haven't experienced issues with mine yet, but mine also came with a cover which Weber never includes in their grills and has to be purchased separately. I also operate mine in a covered porch.

There's no large heat deflector plate to mess around with. Cool, different design I guess. I'm more concerned with the difficulty of getting the ash out and vacuumed up properly.

Something about less fly ash because of how the pellets drop through a grate as they burn?

What am I missing?

First time doing a Prime Rib on my Mak.

So i have a 4lb Prime Rib from Lobels. Strategy for smoking?

Was thinking about smoking at 245 for an hour or two then cranking the heat to like 400 until finish.

About how long should i expect this to take? Its been a while since i have done one of these.

Also have it dry brining in some Plowboys BBQ Bovine Bold 12 Oz until i throw it on.

First time doing a Prime Rib on my Mak.

So i have a 4lb Prime Rib from Lobels. Strategy for smoking?

Was thinking about smoking at 245 for an hour or two then cranking the heat to like 400 until finish.

About how long should i expect this to take? Its been a while since i have done one of these.

Also have it dry brining in some Plowboys BBQ Bovine Bold 12 Oz until i throw it on.

I really like prime rib cooked on my pellet cooker.

I go 250 or lower depending on time allotted. they take about 4 hrs but I am cooking 6-7 lbs bone in. I found no need to sear cooking with pellets. if I do it's on a grill no lid......my pit boss has a sear burner and it works great for the task.......but like I said I dont find the need

I really like prime rib cooked on my pellet cooker.

I go 250 or lower depending on time allotted. they take about 4 hrs but I am cooking 6-7 lbs bone in. I found no need to sear cooking with pellets. if I do it's on a grill no lid......my pit boss has a sear burner and it works great for the task.......but like I said I dont find the need

How long do you think a 4lb er would take at 250(well 245 really)?

I did the low temp an then crank last year, the results were bulls eye effect with out much exterior difference than just running one set temp. 250-275 I will do next time.

Always wait 1-2 years before buying a new product. There will be issues, wait for the design revisions so you don't have to make a warranty claim.

Wish they would have made it rotisserie ready. But I do like what I see.

My better half and me took a drive this morning over to Rural King in Gainesville, about 1 1/2 hours away. I got 10- 20lb bags of Lumberjack. Hickory, Char Hickory, Pecan, Apple and Mesquite. They were $8.88 a bag, making it well worth the drive for sure.

I know many of us have seen the recent release from MasterBuilt with their new gravity fed charcoal grill/smoker. It has intrigued quite a few and has definitely caused quite a stir among pellet grill enthusiasts. The ease of pellets, with the flavor of charcoal/wood chunks has the attention of many. I am in no way talking down the new MasterBuilt cooker as I personally think it’s pretty cool. That said, I just watched a blind taste testing take place. Several racks of St. Louis spare ribs were cooked on both the MB gravity fed and several more on a pretty nice pellet cooker. 12 guys, half of who were well seasoned backyard cooks and/or pit masters were given one rib from each cooker. They were served dry with nothing more than seasoning and smoke. Both were smoked with cherry wood and cooked at the same pit temp.

The results... based on smoke profile, moisture, texture, tenderness and overall flavor were:

8 to 4 in favor of pellets. And 2 of the 4 that voted for the charcoal/chunk smoked ribs sure did appear to be almost 50/50 split w/ their vote.

Not sure who else loves this kind of stuff (I sure do), but just thought I’d share [emoji846]

Yes, taste is highly subjective, and we’re all entitled to our opinion... but don’t let anyone tell you pellet cooked food is inferior as that couldn’t be further for the truth! [emoji91] [emoji100] [emoji4]

Last edited:
Back