MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-01-2013, 06:56 AM   #76
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Those ribs look great!

The shots with the pans do a great job of showing the size of that baby!

Looking forward to the big cook!

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 09-01-2013, 07:40 AM   #77
nucornhusker
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy Q View Post
Is the counter weight on the door really needed?
The cooker is 3/16" steel, same as a Jambo. And this door is bigger than a Jambo. It doesn't NEED it, but if you want to avoid a shoulder replacement down the road, it's probably good to have.

The weight does it's job. And with the addition of the badge I had put on, the door nearly opens itself. Once you get it open, all you have to do is make sure the door doesn't open too fast and slam the weight. It's easiest to open of any other pit I've owned or seen, even my old Genesis. It is weighted beautifully.

Thanks from: --->
Old 09-01-2013, 07:49 AM   #78
Bluebird
is one Smokin' Farker

Beautiful pit and bacon!

Old 09-01-2013, 08:32 AM   #79
Novass
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Greg

I've heard pellet smokers do not put enough smoke flavor on the meat. So how do you like the flavor,or is it to new to tell?

Old 09-01-2013, 08:44 AM   #80
nucornhusker
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novass View Post
I've heard pellet smokers do not put enough smoke flavor on the meat. So how do you like the flavor,or is it to new to tell?
I have experience with some different brands of pellet grills, but by no means all of them. My YS640 did have a stronger smoke flavor than the others I have experience with, and that is by design. So far the YS1500 seems to have even a little bit stronger smoke flavor. No it is not overpowering, slap you in the face or bitter smoke at all, but it seems stronger to my wife and I versus other pellet grills we have had food from. I'm very happy with the smoke output from it. But since smoke flavor is so subjective from person to person and how much wood the cook used in a non-pellet pit, it's hard to compare. But smoke flavor is definitely present.

Old 09-01-2013, 11:16 AM   #81
northwesto
Knows what a fatty is.

I was going to add another Traeger to my collection but I might need to re-think that. Nice looking pit!
northwesto is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-01-2013, 12:38 PM   #82
winochef
On the road to being a farker

Unbelievable pit! The cook with the biscuits really shows the even heat flow! The pans do show the large capacity.
winochef is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-01-2013, 03:11 PM   #83
jeffturnerjr
is One Chatty Farker

Alright.... This thread is killing me! Loooove the Yoder and really appreciate the bacon/biscuit test pics. I've been saving for a new smoker... Def looking at this guy.

Old 09-01-2013, 05:45 PM   #84
Shiz-Nit
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by nucornhusker View Post

Big cook should be posted before Labor Day.
Great Post I have really enjoyed this post. I am looking forward to your big cook to see how it turns out. Keep the pics and info coming of this bad boy and congrats to you on the new pit she is dayum cool indeed!

Instagram - bluegrasssouthernsmokers

Deep South GC28
Forno Venetzia wood fired pizza oven
Weber Summit S-670 natural gasser
Traeger pellet pooper
BGE's
Shiz-Nit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-01-2013, 11:15 PM   #85
nucornhusker
Babbling Farker

Well, the first big cook went wonderfully. It was for my son’s second birthday party, so all of my family that is very familiar with my barbecue was there. It was a great test for a new cooker, and I cooked everything the way I normally do and that they are used to.

I did two briskets, a pork butt, ABT’s, bacon wrapped/brown sugar smokes, and two fatties. Not huge, but a decent sized cook non the less. All of the food had a great smoke flavor. I would say on a scale of pellet cooker to stickburner, the smoke flavor was on the side of stickburner. It was a very good smoke that was very present, but you never tasted the smoke when you burped later in the day. So a strong, but clean smoke. Hard to describe, but when I gave my wife the first burnt end, her comment was “Oh my gosh...that’s really good. And that smoke flavor...Wow!” She has had everything I have ever cooked, and she may very well be happier that I have these cookers than I am because she had been deprived of BBQ for over a month now. But we both remarked that we don’t remember that much smoke flavor even with our less-than-great stickburner, and a good quality smoke flavor. We are impressed.

Cooker with raw food loaded. I had about as much room behind the flats as I did in front. Two whole packers would fit easily in those spots. I did the point and flat separated and point above the flat on recommendation of brother HoDeDo. Two butts would fit easily front to back.

The cooker and a work surface under a canopy. I’m getting soft guys. I used to stickburn, all day and night outside in 100* heat and love it. Now I’ve got a pellet pit, under a canopy, in the shade with 8 hours of sleep to my name. I feel like I’m cheating, but the results are awesome, so…..

Food ready to wrap.

The brisket was probably the best CAB I have cooked. It was very tender, juicy, and had a GREAT smoke flavor. It came out with a perfect balance of smoke, beef, and rub. This is the first time I would say I attained a perfect balance of those. I would have been proud to turn it in. I brought the brisket and burnt ends inside, when out to grab something and came back in, and the burnt ends were gone! I thought someone dropped them on the floor or something, they were GONE. (Sorry, no pic of the burnt ends)

The butt was very tender, lots of smoke and very juicy. We have been kinda burned out on pulled pork for a little while, but this was a great re-introduction. We were both picking through it and eating it like we used to when I first started barbecuing. It didn’t get as much attention from everyone as brisket is king with my family. But I got as many compliments on the pork as I did the brisket, but everyone filled up on brisket first. Look at the color on the butt before I wrapped it! This photo is in no way edited.

This is the sides loaded, and pork butt on top. I had too much foil bunched on top, otherwise the butt would have fit front to back. Eventually the fatties got moved down to the bottom. They cooked very slowly for some reason and ended up behind schedule.

ABT’s, Wow. A home run. THE best ABT’s I have done by far, and they were gone in a matter of seconds. We could have cooked triple the amount and still not had enough. This picture is driving my wife nuts and she’s threatening to go to the store to get more peppers and bacon for tomorrow. I'm not going to stop her.

The bacon wrapped, brown sugar and rubbed with 3Eyz smokes were very good. Think pig candy wrapped around a smokey. The only issue was I went too heavy on brown sugar and it didn’t all dissolve. But the flavor was there.

And two fatties. Nothing more I need to say.

I am VERY happy with this cooker. It cooks flawlessly, the smoke flavor is the best I have had (perfect balance of strong and not overpowering) and is dead even and I can predict how the food will come out even after only a few days. And if I want/need a hot spot, I can make two of them. I am very happy I sold my cookers to get this. My whole family noted that this was better than my other barbecue they have had, and they don’t just say nice things to be nice. If they didn’t think it was better, or if it was the same, they would tell me. I was told a few times that I had outdone myself. I didn’t change my technique at all, so the cooker deserves some of the credit.

Old 09-01-2013, 11:42 PM   #86
northwesto
Knows what a fatty is.

Keep those pics coming! I almost have my wife sold that is some good looking BBQ!
northwesto is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-02-2013, 12:19 AM   #87
The Pup
Knows what a fatty is.

Please tell us about the clean-up.
The Pup is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-02-2013, 05:39 AM   #88
Pappy Q
is One Chatty Farker

Great job! I've never considered a pellet smoker but your posts have got me thinking.
Pappy Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-02-2013, 07:47 AM   #89
kenthanson
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy Q View Post
Great job! I've never considered a pellet smoker but your posts have got me thinking.
Same here!

There was a yoder vendor set up at our local bbq comp this year and I went over to kick the tires and I was like '3grand for a pellet grill good luck on that'. And now I want to go back and buy the damn thing!

Last edited by kenthanson; 09-02-2013 at 08:29 AM..
kenthanson is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-02-2013, 08:03 AM   #90
Bigdog
somebody shut me the fark up.

Your ABTs look great. Please tell me more on how you made them.
Pitman for Andy Groneman at the All Things BBQ cooking classes.
Smoke on Brother KC
Father of the Fatty (the name) 4/20/04 on the BBQ Brethren with inspiration from Brother parrothead.
Bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
food pron, pellet cooker, pellet grill, pellet smoker, smoke, Yoder, Yoder Smokers, Yoder YS1500