MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 07-14-2007, 06:06 AM   #1
n-2-que
is one Smokin' Farker

Default First judging

well me and the wifes first time judging will be today at the ducks unlimited in ankeny iowa look forward to giving you all the scoop when we get done tonight have a almost 2 hr drive ahead of us. so you all besafe today have a beer for me.
Cooker
CookShack- Fec100
BGE - Extra Large with Table
Weber- 22 inch Kettle

Old 07-14-2007, 07:02 AM   #2
Pig Headed
Babbling Farker

Enjoy yourself. You will learn a lot today. Did you bring a big cooler?

Pigheaded BBQ Team
www.pigheadedbbq.com
KCBS CBJ

Stumps Stretch (Raquel) Eagles Green.
1 -22" Weber WSM, 1 - 18"Weber WSM's
2 - 22" kettles
6x12 Haulmark Trailer
Pig Headed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-14-2007, 09:24 AM   #3
ModelMaker
Quintessential Chatty Farker

The first one can be a little intimidating. The hardest part is deciding what number corresponds with your taste. Most important is listening to the more expirienced voices at your table.
Hope you have a great expierience and make some new friends.
ModelMaker
Extremely seasoned hand hammered Wok
Pit Boss-HART BURN Competition BBQ Team
KCBS certified judge

And Your not the boss of me either!!
ModelMaker is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 07-14-2007, 10:25 PM   #4
KC_Bobby
Babbling Farker

I'm back from my 3 1/2 hour drive, where's the comments?

BTW, someone falled to score my chicken and pork correctly. 13th in chicken (missed a call by less then a point) and 18th in pork.

My chicken scores were strange. 2 scores over 33, a 32, a 29, then a high 26 and a mid 24.
Proud KCBS Member & Certified Judge

KC_Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-15-2007, 08:28 AM   #5
BBQ_Mayor
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC_Bobby View Post
I'm back from my 3 1/2 hour drive, where's the comments?

BTW, someone falled to score my chicken and pork correctly. 13th in chicken (missed a call by less then a point) and 18th in pork.

My chicken scores were strange. 2 scores over 33, a 32, a 29, then a high 26 and a mid 24.

Nice job KC. Your chicken and pork did better than mine. If I do it next year, I'm not using their pork. I didn't like it.
Got you guys' picture here. You could probably photo shop it and lighten it up a bit.
DSCF3767.jpg
WSM, Whole Hog Lousianna pellet Smoker
IPT pellet Smoker and Gateway Drum
CBJ #4643
BBQ_Mayor is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-15-2007, 08:39 AM   #6
n-2-que
is one Smokin' Farker

Well sorry for late responses, we pulled up to the house neighbor is moving ( couple getting a divorce) and she needed our help to move some big stuff in our truck.

Well we get t the judging area plenty of time seems me and the wife are the only noob judges there. everyone at my table are 2-3 yrs of judging experience.

First was Bean category which i was pleasantly surprised by all was pretty good except one which had corn and rice and such which most my table didn't care for.

chicken i was more surprised by 3 of 6 entrees was hot, like right off the coals to table, which is good by the table capts getting to them to table quickly. besides 1 entree that had 2 off looking sides chicken thighs it was pretty good throughout, all was warm, moist, i can tell more then half was marinated in italian dressing. but all in all the chicken set was pretty decent.

Ribs.
at my table the ribs came out visually very well, presentation was on money on all very hard to score one better. 3/6 of the ribs came off the bone pretty cleanly not overcooked pull off. the other 3 was undercooked. 2 of the 6 was pretty good, one stood out for me taste/tender which i ate the whole bone.

Pork
i was kinda surprised by this one, had a entree which had no sauce on it and came in 3 flavors, pulled chopped and sliced and to me was the best one had very good flave and spices and no sauce to hide anything, and at our table scored pretty good. there was 2 that didnt fair well on presentation. very sloppy put in, and other was packed into a squished ball that no one really cared for.

Brisket.
the meat of the gods, which i was looking forward to. our table had a DQ on this item ( 1 of the 2 DQ at this contest) the DQ first off they sliced the Packer really nicely thickness but with 2 inches of fat left on the bottom and on top of that they didnt slice all the way through so one guy at our table picked up slice and 3 slices came up, and another had 2 slices come up. it was also dry and very tough to pull my slice apart. now rest of the brisket. my personal favorite and afterwards the tables was a chopped brisket which tasted like a teriyaki marinade or something along that line, outside had good bark and nice saucing besides the DQ one other entree, i am not sure all the teams try there food before sending it out. just not sure

Would i judge again?? yes in a heartbeat wife had a blast, and met some very nice people, biggest thing we both noticed at our table most of these people who judge have no idea of the other side of tent is like, most have very very very basic ideas of what we do to make this food.

if anyone was in this contest i apologies in advance if it sounded like i might have dogged any entrees that mighta been yours just wrote what i seen and tasted =)

BTW learned alot for our upcoming comp this next weekend in Waterloo Iowa it really helps to see both sides. anyone have the outcome of the contest? we did not stick around for awards.
Cooker
CookShack- Fec100
BGE - Extra Large with Table
Weber- 22 inch Kettle

Old 07-15-2007, 08:56 AM   #7
Solidkick
somebody shut me the fark up.

Good report!

------------------------------------------------
Belly Brothers BBQ Team

"Sister Flame" Spicewine Trailer Smoker,Modified Bandera, Uni-Flame Chicken Cooker with a Spicewine Thermometer mod,Kingsford Barrel cooker and a super fast RED thermapen

KC always said "fat cap up!!
Solidkick is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-15-2007, 09:03 AM   #8
Oldbob
is One Chatty Farker

Good Report!! Congrats on Your First Judging!!
Weber Gasser Genesis Silver A
Pit Barrel Cooker
Maverick ET-732
VietNam Veteran US Navy
May you Sleep in Peace always...and Please....Thank a Veteran for That Privilege!!
Oldbob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-15-2007, 12:57 PM   #9
slat
is Blowin Smoke!

Congrats on getting the first outta the way. Always like to hear what a first experience is like.

Proud member of the MOFO chapter.

Bandera
Turkey Fryer
Rusting and corroding Gas Grill
slat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-15-2007, 02:25 PM   #10
KC_Bobby
Babbling Farker

Yeah, I'm taking the next judging class near KC that fits my schedule. I need to know what the judges are looking for.

Old 07-15-2007, 02:40 PM   #11
KC_Bobby
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ_Mayor View Post
Nice job KC. Your chicken and pork did better than mine. If I do it next year, I'm not using their pork. I didn't like it.
I think you're right on all the meat, bring your own for the comp and take home what they give you. One of my butts looked like it had a brisket fat cap, I cut of off and their wasn't much left. I did take our original brisket back to the cooler truck and got a different one. I think the first one we got was about 8 lbs and 4 were in the fat cap. Not sure we would have even been able to get six slices off the flat.

We were very surprised that the ribs didn't go over well, we thought those were our best. I wish I would have came over to look at yours - I can't believe you had one judge give you a 24 when the next lowest was over 33. Good job on your ribs (2nd place) and overall 4th place finish.

Good to meet you and Rookie 48. Thanks for the tips from both groups. Great time

Old 07-16-2007, 03:11 PM   #12
KC_Bobby
Babbling Farker

To add to Ray's comment about bringing pork ... I was eating a pork sandwich last night I had little bits of bone in the pork - And I didn't even do anything to the pork I brought home (meaning after I had what I needed for the pulled pork and sliced pork, I put the rest in a covered tin and into my smoker to stay warm until I put it into the cooler (as is) later. Puzzled to say the least where these bits of bone came from. I wonder if one of the judges would have also had a bite of bone??? One judge gave me a 766. The 6 in both taste and tenderness does raise a yellowish flag based on our other pork scores, especially tenderness. The other's scores were 878 788 667 898 788. Total of 152.000 for those of you counting at home - winning score of 162.2856.

Turn in pictures will come as soon as they get sent to me.

Old 07-16-2007, 05:49 PM   #13
BBQ_Mayor
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC_Bobby View Post
To add to Ray's comment about bringing pork ... I was eating a pork sandwich last night I had little bits of bone in the pork - And I didn't even do anything to the pork I brought home (meaning after I had what I needed for the pulled pork and sliced pork, I put the rest in a covered tin and into my smoker to stay warm until I put it into the cooler (as is) later. Puzzled to say the least where these bits of bone came from. I wonder if one of the judges would have also had a bite of bone??? One judge gave me a 766. The 6 in both taste and tenderness does raise a yellowish flag based on our other pork scores, especially tenderness. The other's scores were 878 788 667 898 788. Total of 152.000 for those of you counting at home - winning score of 162.2856.

Turn in pictures will come as soon as they get sent to me.
Interesting. I didn't notice any bone in the one I turned in and I sent the rest to a birthday party. It got ate up without any comments other than "this is the best barbeque I have ever tasted" and "why don't you open a resturant and chase these other guys out" you know, same old stuff. Maybe it was just all the margeritas they had by that time.
WSM, Whole Hog Lousianna pellet Smoker
IPT pellet Smoker and Gateway Drum
CBJ #4643
BBQ_Mayor is offline   Reply With Quote