MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk > BBQ Brethren Throwdowns

Notices

BBQ Brethren Throwdowns Join us in the backyard for a fun bi-weekly photo contest and show off your BBQ creations! New categories are posted every other week, plus a special monthly category. Winners earn bragging rights, a Throwdown Certificate, prizes, and the chance to choose the next category. Some of our most talked about cooking techniques and recipes were given birth in the Throwdowns!

Old 04-09-2021, 04:08 PM   #31
Moose
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Richard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssv3 View Post
For me it's not that serious. I'm in it for the fun factor and enjoy peoples creativity. Don't care if I win or lose. I've noticed some people get discouraged when certain brethren enter a td and for that reason I personally scaled backed a lot. I ain't quitting the brethren though. Some of the best people I've met and befriended are from here.

I understand how some may feel about all the pizza Throwdowns I've won, though I think you are way ahead of me with tacos, and definitely burgers.
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: --->

Old 04-09-2021, 06:27 PM   #32
ssv3

Name/Nickname : Sako

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose View Post
I understand how some may feel about all the pizza Throwdowns I've won, though I think you are way ahead of me with tacos, and definitely burgers.
I don't know about all that. You do some crazy taco cooks and one of the best burgers I've seen on here has to be your Habit recreation.
Blackstone Griddle Retrofit
Blackstone Pizza Oven
WSJ(K) WGA(P) WJJ(CU) W22(BI) W26(CL)
Pit Barrer Junior
Kingsford Oval (resto mod)
ssv3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 04-10-2021, 09:02 AM   #33
Moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronbrad62 View Post
As for ideas for TD's, I have two:
1) MSU- don't follow a recipe, make it up as you go along and see what you come up with.
2) Cook something that you have never cooked before or were intimidated by. We all like to learn new things, right?
3) Bonus category- Since May is Mother's Day month, cook your mom's favorite dish, or your wife's, in their honor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-Chicago View Post
May is for May-O

Anything Mayo, could be an option
Quote:
Originally Posted by PnkPanther View Post
1. Cheeks/Tongues/Tail-Show us how you prepare unusual cuts
2. Shellfish
3. Use your favorite gadget / accessory (most of us have add ons, rotisserie,griddle plate etc)
4. 5 ingredient or less (including seasonings) or Keep it simple stupid
5. Mediterranean
Quote:
Originally Posted by CivilTrojan View Post
I’ve never entered a TD before and I haven’t been around long to know if it’s been done before, but my idea was for an MSU TD also. But my idea is that you would have to make up an entirely new dish that you’ve never seen before. You could take an existing dish and change the ingredients, or combine different dishes into one, but the end result would have to be completely original.

If we do it for May we could call it the May-ke Stuff Up challenge.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LYU370 View Post
Maybe another Noobie TD? Had to have entered less than some number of throwdowns to be eligible to enter. Possibly get some new people to enter that may be intimidated by us goofballs, sorry, I meant by us MASTERS. I know back when I first found the TD's I was a little intimidated, will my entry be good enough? Will no one vote for me but instead vote for someone that always enters?

As far as viable categories for the May Special Throwdown, here's what we have so far:

MSU Challenge: Pick 5 Ingredients
On a Budget(Total cost of meal items could be set not to exceed $10)
Noob Showcase

I did not include some of the others as they are a bit too specialized for a full month's Throwdown. Also, we have a Greek Throwdown running right now, which is Mediterranean.

I'm going to add another to the mix, one we've done before and appropriate for May, which would be: "All Month Cinco de Mayo Feast" This at least in verbiage, might satisfy Bill's idea for a "Mayo" themed Throwdown.
Old 04-10-2021, 11:10 AM   #34
silverfinger
Babbling Farker

20E21430-0C48-45DC-9210-6AB4B8676B88.jpg

Just Sayin

Smoking up the "Fattened Fat Of The Cow".
Got a stick-burner! :mrgreen:
UDS In Progress: Thank's Q-Junky! :thumb:
Blackstone griddle.
50 year Old Imperial Kamado with ears.
Fire pit. Weber Kettle.
silverfinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 12:11 PM   #35
Moose

Quote:
I’ve been meaning to launch this for a while now, as it creates a space for us to interact and discuss off topic content away from Throwdown entry threads.

Anything Throwdown-related that is constructive is welcome. In particular, this is the perfect place to throw your suggestions in the hat for upcoming monthly special Throwdowns.

So let’s get the party started! What would you like to talk about?

***MODERATOR'S NOTE***

I just added the word "constructive" in the first sentence of the second paragraph of my first post in this thread.

Please let that sink in.

That is all.

Last edited by Moose; 04-10-2021 at 03:15 PM..
Old 04-10-2021, 12:26 PM   #36
silverfinger
Babbling Farker

Oh Boy.

Back to the woodpile.

Smoking up the "Fattened Fat Of The Cow".
Got a stick-burner! :mrgreen:
UDS In Progress: Thank's Q-Junky! :thumb:
Blackstone griddle.
50 year Old Imperial Kamado with ears.
Fire pit. Weber Kettle.
silverfinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 01:11 PM   #37
Moose

Quote:
As far as viable categories for the May Special Throwdown, here's what we have so far:

MSU Challenge: Pick 5 Ingredients
On a Budget(Total cost of meal items could be set not to exceed $10)
Noob Showcase

I did not include some of the others as they are a bit too specialized for a full month's Throwdown. Also, we have a Greek Throwdown running right now, which is Mediterranean.

I'm going to add another to the mix, one we've done before and appropriate for May, which would be: "All Month Cinco de Mayo Feast" This at least in verbiage, might satisfy Bill's idea for a "Mayo" themed Throwdown.

Looks like we have 4 potential categories to vote on so far!
Old 04-11-2021, 10:50 AM   #38
Al Czervik

Name/Nickname : Scott/Mongo

We're coming up on a decade since the 2011 Special Summer of Spam TD... perhaps we could resurrect that idea and I'll see if I can pull off the double goose egg again.
(='.'=) Avatar by Chalupa
(")_(")
Al Czervik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 01:34 PM   #39
Moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Czervik View Post
We're coming up on a decade since the 2011 Special Summer of Spam TD... perhaps we could resurrect that idea and I'll see if I can pull off the double goose egg again.

I completely forgot about that one!
Bigabyte had a whopping 9 entries, a record, I believe. And the winning entry was a spam pizza. Only such a thing could happen here in this crazy place.

I will bring the idea to the Quorum...
Old 04-11-2021, 06:46 PM   #40
smoke ninja

I once won a beer themed throwdown. it was my greatest achievement as a brethren
Old 04-11-2021, 07:37 PM   #41
thirdeye

Well.... The Brethren are international. So, I'm thinking a "Pick A Region TD" might be fun. You select any regional BBQ style on the planet and emulate it with your entry. Maybe a one line description to explain how you interpret AussieQ or MemphisQ, LexingtonQ or BrazilianQ etc.

I think there were some TD's that had an Iron Chef kind of thing. You know, where everyone has to use 2 or 3 ingredients somewhere in their entry.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 08:35 PM   #42
SmokinAussie

Location: Gold Coast, Queensland! (Finally Escaped Melbourne)
Name/Nickname : Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdeye View Post
Well.... The Brethren are international. So, I'm thinking a "Pick A Region TD" might be fun. You select any regional BBQ style on the planet and emulate it with your entry. Maybe a one line description to explain how you interpret AussieQ or MemphisQ, LexingtonQ or BrazilianQ etc.

I think there were some TD's that had an Iron Chef kind of thing. You know, where everyone has to use 2 or 3 ingredients somewhere in their entry.
Well an Aussie BBQ TD would be a "Throw another shrimp on the Barbie TD" but they are really supposed to be called "Prawns". Shrimp would have to be a DQ!

SmokinAussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 02:50 PM   #43
Shiz-Nit
Babbling Farker

Disco Fries
Shell Fish
Fresh garden veggies are in season soon (all Veggie TD)
Mexican Street Corn
Store bought processed bologna chub
Pub Grub
Fish n chips
with all these places coming out with all these chicken sandwiches (BBQ Brethren Chicken Sandwich TD)
Chicken legs
Scotch eggs
Cheese (straight up cheese TD)
Cajun
Fried
Made in a cast iron

Instagram - bluegrasssouthernsmokers

Deep South GC28
Forno Venetzia wood fired pizza oven
Weber Summit S-670 natural gasser
Traeger pellet pooper
BGE's
Shiz-Nit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 03:18 PM   #44
Moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiz-Nit View Post
Disco Fries
Shell Fish
Fresh garden veggies are in season soon (all Veggie TD)
Mexican Street Corn
Store bought processed bologna chub
Pub Grub
Fish n chips
with all these places coming out with all these chicken sandwiches (BBQ Brethren Chicken Sandwich TD)
Chicken legs
Scotch eggs
Cheese (straight up cheese TD)
Cajun
Fried
Made in a cast iron

Shiz, thanks for chiming in! I'm pasting text I posted early in the thread so you can see the criteria we use for selecting monthly Throwdowns:

Because the SPECIAL Throwdowns lasts an entire month, the category should be fairly broad, and repeatable since we allow multiple entries on these.
Don't repeat a category we've already done in the last 12 months.
Look to past monthly special Throwdowns for ideas or variations on popular favorites.
Come up with something completely different!
Old 05-02-2021, 01:41 PM   #45
LYU370

What does everyone think about a Quick-Fire type of contest?

Ingredient(s) gets posted on Friday, voting the following Monday. You get the weekend to cook something up. If you don't have time to cook this weekend, oh well, there'll be another contest next weekend. No prizes, since the TD sponsors might balk at that many contests, just bragging rights.

FEC100 - Big Joe - Weber Spirit II Gasser

Are you ready for a THROWDOWN?!?!? Join us, It's a BLAST!!

Join us for the Inaugural 2024 South East Bash - May 2024 Tennessee - Sign Up Link
LYU370 is online now   Reply With Quote