MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-12-2014, 11:40 AM   #1
mkenney
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default G2 Chubby cooking amount vs Party vs G2 Party

We are toying between 3 Backwoods smokers. The idea is to get one primarily for ribs and eventually buy a larger one to use as our primary as we save up the $$$ for it

The hope is to have a unit that could start 1 18 pound brisket as well as a prok butt or two. We would then like to yank out the pork butts and put in 6 racks of ribs and ideally leave in the brisket fro a bit longer. Fast forward a bit more and the brisket would be out and wrapped and on a different grill with the chicken hopefully going in.

Soooooooo no to it (sorry):

- Can the G2 Chubby handle this?
- Is the Party able to handle large briskets or only smaller ones?
- Can a Party G2 be loaded into the back of a suburban with two people?

What am I missing? Would love to ehre from some people cooking on a G2 Chubby, etc. to see what you have found capacity wise.

Thanks in advance for any help/thoughts/advice/etc.!
[LIST][*]Lang 84 Deluxe[*]Backwoods G2 Party[*]WSM 22.5[*]Big Green Egg[/LIST]
mkenney is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-12-2014, 12:01 PM   #2
Untraceable
Babbling Farker

G2 Chubby is a cute smoker and great for the backyard but dont kid yourself, it will do 6 racks of ribs but the top rack is a blast furnace in relation to the other racks. It will do a 18lb brisket, but thats about it at once. Save yourself some money, get the Humphreys Pint. Virtually the same cooking dimentions of the G2 Party but 700 cheaper and fully framed out.
Untraceable is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-12-2014, 03:19 PM   #3
garzanium
Full Fledged Farker

party g2 sounds like the winner...fatboy would be too heavy to load into a suburban more than once, chubby is too small and party regular is very narrow..cannot squeeze an 18lb brisket in there long ways at all..

we load party extended into a tahoe almost every comp..not bad at all..I unloaded it off of my trailer alone yesterday and my buddy loads it into his tahoe alone all the time.

Old 05-12-2014, 03:22 PM   #4
mkenney

Quote:
Originally Posted by garzanium View Post
party g2 sounds like the winner...fatboy would be too heavy to load into a suburban more than once, chubby is too small and party regular is very narrow..cannot squeeze an 18lb brisket in there long ways at all..

we load party extended into a tahoe almost every comp..not bad at all..I unloaded it off of my trailer alone yesterday and my buddy loads it into his tahoe alone all the time.
Thanks for the info! So the G2 Party will fit an 18 pound brisket. Will the extended party you have fit the same brisket or just the G2?

Thanks for the info!!!

Old 05-12-2014, 03:35 PM   #5
hedge
Full Fledged Farker

having used a g2 chubby for quite some time, get a bigger cooker.
hedge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-12-2014, 03:47 PM   #6
Dabaras
On the road to being a farker

I have the extended party and it will easily hold a brisket. Cheaper and a bit lighter than the G2 party. The additional insulation doesn't really make much difference that I can tell.

Old 05-12-2014, 04:30 PM   #7
Offthehook
is One Chatty Farker

Forum member GTR has the Chubby and I got to cook on it yesterday. Its a great smoker but it might be a little small for what you are planning to use it for. Also the top rack gets much hotter than the other ones.

Old 05-12-2014, 04:54 PM   #8
Jason TQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

If you are only getting one get the G2 party as there is so much more room. I have a G2 Party and G2 chubby I use in competitions, so I have used them both a ton. The chubby I only use for ribs.

Also 2 people can definitely get them in the back of a suburban. I say this because I get both my chubby and party in the back of my truck each and every competition. And it is me and my wife loading them, so my stupid punch line is basically 2 women can get them in the back of a truck.......because I'm not a big guy. I can actually get them both in there myself, but don't recommend only 1 person doing it.

I put a thread below of a cook I did on the Party and also a thread i did on how I made a simple backboard for the backwoods so they don't get damaged in the back of the truck with all the in and out. They work great.

G2 Party Cook
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=150821

Backwoods in truck
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=153121

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-12-2014, 07:03 PM   #9
Dex
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkenney View Post
We are toying between 3 Backwoods smokers. The idea is to get one primarily for ribs and eventually buy a larger one to use as our primary as we save up the $$$ for it

The hope is to have a unit that could start 1 18 pound brisket as well as a prok butt or two. We would then like to yank out the pork butts and put in 6 racks of ribs and ideally leave in the brisket fro a bit longer. Fast forward a bit more and the brisket would be out and wrapped and on a different grill with the chicken hopefully going in.

Soooooooo no to it (sorry):

- Can the G2 Chubby handle this?
- Is the Party able to handle large briskets or only smaller ones?
- Can a Party G2 be loaded into the back of a suburban with two people?

What am I missing? Would love to ehre from some people cooking on a G2 Chubby, etc. to see what you have found capacity wise.

Thanks in advance for any help/thoughts/advice/etc.!
I had both the G2 Chubby and the G2 Party. They were both great cookers. I was able to load and unload the G2 Party by myself. Not fun, but I was able to do it. Both cookers cook great.

I sold my Backwoods and went with Humphrey's. While both cook great, the Humphrey's has a better build quality. May be be something to to at least check out. Better quality build and better price.

Old 05-12-2014, 10:29 PM   #10
MadAboutQue
Found some matches.

Mkenny...

I've got both.. One G2 Party for butts and briskets, and the G2 chubby for ribs and chicken. what i think is funny is the amount of racks in both. and in the party, if you want to cook pepperoni or maybe bologna, then you might be able to use all 5 racks. I went with the G2 b/c they were relatively new.. and in the price range for what i was going to spend anyway, i just couldn't afford two Parties.. What i love about them, is just about everything. what i don't like is the removable water pan. i use toss in alum full pans when i do use the water.. i like to cook up at 275, and water in there makes that hard, that or i'm doing something wrong. =)

i also cater, so being able to toss in full pans to heat/hold/etc is important to me. so important that the extra weight was worth it. I've got a couple pieces of outdoor 3/4" plywood that are cut down and i strap those to the back. The chubby, no problem. The party can be difficult for one person to "motivate" into a truck bed, but it's doable. I've got a little cart that the chubby is mounted on. Andy Bangs in GA was talking somewhere about their team switching to 3 G2 chubbys mounted on a rolling from with a prep table top.. load up the big meats in 2 or 3 of them, and then roll the smaller meats into whichever opens up first. i never saw it, but that sounded like a good idea.. but he's also a dealer, and i'm sure gets a little break$$$$.
MadAboutQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-13-2014, 10:16 AM   #11
mkenney

Really sounds like the G2 Party or Extended Party is what I need... Now to buy a lottery ticket

Old 05-13-2014, 06:05 PM   #12
midwestmindz
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Midwestmindz

You will definitely want at least a G2 version that can fit full size pans. I had a regular party and could fit 1 butt on a rack not very deep. Ending up selling my backwoods and buying a Humphreys since I can get a cooker that fits full size pans with better build quality and cheaper.
midwestmindz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-13-2014, 06:39 PM   #13
Teamfour
is Blowin Smoke!

We do exactly what you proposed on a Party. We have put a 14 lb brisket in it with no problem - we don't cook any bigger than that. 2 butts as well. The ribs go in when the brisket and butts are foiled. Brisket and butts come out when chicken goes in and ribs are foiled. Everything works out fine.

Smokin-n-Style BBQ Team - Pitmaster
Lagniappe Chili Team - Head Cook
KCBS CBJ
Teamfour is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-13-2014, 08:45 PM   #14
hedge
Full Fledged Farker

I'll take a pic of ribs and chicken on a g2 chubby this weekend.
hedge is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
backwoods, Backwoods Chubby, Backwoods G2, kcbs