MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness

Notices

Catering, Food Handling and Awareness *OnTopic* Forum to educate us on safe food handling. Not specifically for Catering or competition but overall health and keeping our families safe too.

Old 04-14-2013, 02:25 PM   #1
mgratz
Got rid of the matchlight.

Default Seeking advice on starting a bbq street food biz in London, England

I recently moved to London with my wife and I'm going to "live the dream" and start a BBQ sandwich business here in London. The Brits are all about meat and potatoes, and the few places in town serving "american bbq" are par at best. The promising thing is, those establishments are packed every night.

I'm wondering if there are brethren with sound advice on starting a bbq food business far from (home) Kansas City... Much appreciated.
mgratz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-15-2013, 12:14 PM   #2
luke duke
is One Chatty Farker

What is your meat and wood availability in London?
luke duke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-15-2013, 12:21 PM   #3
deguerre
somebody shut me the fark up.

I bet Dr KY here would have some good advice.
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-15-2013, 07:58 PM   #4
Smokin Mike
is One Chatty Farker

I think you will make a killing there. I really do. I do know people that lived there, and came back to tell me it's mostly bad BBQ, boiled and tasteless.
FEC-100's
KCBS, FBA Judge
Smokin Mike is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-16-2013, 03:38 AM   #5
Dr_KY
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Ahhh yes BBQ in England. :-)

I don't know where to start but yes there is defiantly a market for great BBQ in England although when I started several years ago it's true understanding wasn't what we as Americans would call serious Q. It's now taking off and moving at a steady pace after some very hard work put in starting up competitions and catering by a Gand full of very inspired people. I'll come back with more insight and information and fact for you shortly but I wanted to chime in an let a brother know we are head in an swinging for the fence here and around the EU.

Where In london are you thinking of laying your foundation?

If you get the chance get yourself down to Bristol next month for Grillstock . It the place to be for BBQ driven music and drink festivals in England. http://grillstock.co.uk/king-of-the-grill-bristol Here you'll see the true American spirit and taste of BBQ the way you and I know remember it in a familure environment. Yes there are other competitions around the country that are very good with some serious competitors that have been invited to The Jack and The Royal.

Again I'll be back with more direct information so just ask away an ill try my best to get you the answers you need. :-)

Doc

Slappin that bass like some delerious funky preist!!!

UDS, Half Pint (Mini UDS), Weber, ProQ 20, Kegrilla
*250 gallon cooker- 'The Meat Beast!!'*

British BBQ Championships
Grand Champion 2008
~~~~
British BBQ Society - Southern Championship
Grand Champions 2009
Dr_KY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-16-2013, 05:53 AM   #6
deguerre
somebody shut me the fark up.

Thanks Doc!
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-16-2013, 07:07 AM   #7
Dr_KY
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Your inbox is full Guerry.
:-)

Slappin that bass like some delerious funky preist!!!

UDS, Half Pint (Mini UDS), Weber, ProQ 20, Kegrilla
*250 gallon cooker- 'The Meat Beast!!'*

British BBQ Championships
Grand Champion 2008
~~~~
British BBQ Society - Southern Championship
Grand Champions 2009
Dr_KY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-16-2013, 05:28 PM   #8
Smoke House Moe
On the road to being a farker

Do it man. Go for it!

Find out your health department rules and regulations. Here in MN you would need a "mobile food unit" license and be a certified food manager.

Keep us up to date.

Old 04-21-2013, 01:02 PM   #9
mgratz
Got rid of the matchlight.

Thank you for the info Dr KY! I'll look into the grillstock, sounds like a blast and could be a great way to meet folks.

I just secured commercial kitchen space to cook, and had my FEC 120 delivered. I'll be smoking with cookshack hickory and fruit pellets. I am still trying to find good reliable suppliers for the brisket, butts and chickens. Regarding where I'll be selling, I'll be street trading and catering in the beginning as I don't have the funds for a brick and mortar. There are several street food markets around town I'm trying to get into. My thoughts on location thus far are southwest London.
Here are some questions maybe you can answer:
Do you know of good suppliers for well marbled packer briskets? Butts? I'm currently importing briskets from the US, which isn't the most cost effective.
You mentioned BBQ in the EU, do you travel all over for your catering?

I look forward to hearing more about your successes with Que in the UK and any advice you can offer someone just getting started.

Best,
Michael
mgratz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
business, catering, restaurant FEC120