MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-30-2014, 09:47 AM   #1
mikes1212
Full Fledged Farker

Default Lone Star Grillz Vertical Insulated Cabinet Smoker-For the new Owner

There seems to be a number of us that are new owners of the Lone Star Grills Vertical Insulated Cabinet, and we all have questions and we push forward with getting aquatinted with our new smoker. A group of us hope to use this thread for Q & A of the next few weeks or so.

I have started my first cook and things are not going as planned. Last week I seasoned the grill and everything did go as planned. No issues, problems or unexpected.

This week, I have added meat (6 racks of St; Louise style ribs) to the scenario, and I am having trouble getting temps over 235. I have both 2" vents wide open and now that I have wood chips inside I am noticing a fair amount of smoke coming out from around the upper door. I did notice that the upper door closes and latches very easy, as the lower door had a touch of cushion as the door latches.

I opened the door and took out a screw driver and moved the latch all the way out and closed the door. The same amount of smoke billows from around the door. I tried again and adjusted the latch almost all the way in. No change. Smoke still billows out from around the door. I feel this is why temps are not getting up to where they need to be. With the air intake vents all the open I would expect to be well over 300.

The meat has been on for about 1.5 hours now and I fear that the ribs are not going to be right.

Any advice from the group would be greatly appreciated.
Lonely Charbroil Infrared Gasser and Quick Read Thermapen
[B]Certified IMBAS MOINK Baller![/B]

Last edited by mikes1212; 03-30-2014 at 10:27 AM..
mikes1212 is offline   Reply With Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from:--->

Old 03-30-2014, 09:50 AM   #2
Fwismoker
somebody shut me the fark up.

I'm sure you'll figure it out. That looks like one well built fine smoker!

Visit [COLOR="Red"]OctoForks[/COLOR] in Sales & Ventures

Website & Blog: [url]www.octoforks.com[/url]
Fwismoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-30-2014, 10:16 AM   #3
Picketwire BBQ
On the road to being a farker

Invest in a guru or stoker.

Old 03-30-2014, 10:30 AM   #4
mikes1212
Full Fledged Farker

I'm up to 265 now, 2 hr. and 30 min, into the cook. It's a rain, freezing rain mix out there. I knew it would be raining, but last night I checked on the weather, and we were looking at highs in the low 50's. I jest checked, and they now are saying that we will hit 38.

I think I will be OK, the ribs might have to sit out on the cooker a bit longer then I expected.

Next weekend, I will have to fiddle with the door and see if I can get a better seal.

Old 03-30-2014, 10:45 AM   #5
ggee6688

When my smoker cooled off, I adjusted my top door and it shuts solid with no movement. I think the seals just need to be gucked up before getting a goodseal. I'm going to try no water for some chicken tomorrow. I bought a second ball valve to get more controlled air in. And I'm not going to use water.
22.5 WSM
Weber Performer Platinum
Stoker setup
FIRE
ggee6688 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-30-2014, 12:26 PM   #6
mikes1212
Full Fledged Farker

ggee, I think that was my mistake, I started with water in the pan! Right after my first post I emptied the pan into a bucket. Bingo! Within 30 minutes, 275! That is where she stayed for the last 1.5 hours.

Well here goes nothing!

The ribs are prepped and rubbed

All snugly wrapped and ready for nap in the fridge.

The LS Vertical is wheeled out in the rain and a fire started. Wheels chucked for safety!

Ribs are out on the counter to warn up a bit before going on

The cabinet has been turned into the wind and we are ready for takeoff!

Two of the racks are cut and lunch is ready!

I pulled them off a little after noon. They are moist and tender, but I have done better! All said, if feels good to have my first cook under my belt and some pretty good ribs for us to eat. Learned a little while I was at it!

Old 03-30-2014, 12:39 PM   #7
tsimm15
is one Smokin' Farker

Those ribs look good. So after your first cook with the insulated (though still learning), how pleased are you with it? I read the testimonials from Chris' page with someone saying, "If you have heard of cabinets not producing a smoke ring or smoke flavor....IT IS NOT THIS ONE. Period." Do you feel the same about yours?
tsimm15 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-30-2014, 02:56 PM   #8
mikes1212
Full Fledged Farker

Hi tsimm, Yes the ribs had a nice smoke ring to them. High marks there, and the smoke was deep into the meat. I give my first cook high marks considering the weather and everything else that went on. I am happy!

Here is a visual of the weather. Picture taken after lunch.

First it poured on me, then when I was out saucing it started to change over to all snow.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-30-2014, 03:01 PM   #9
Big George's BBQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : George

Very Nice
Mid Atlantic BBQ Association
KCBS
Back Porch BBQ Competition BBQ Team
Proud Member of the Zero Club

When all else fails ask yourself WWGALD
Big George's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-30-2014, 03:04 PM   #10
tsimm15
is one Smokin' Farker

No matter rain, sleet, or snow the insulated pulls thru. Glad it worked out. Many more to follow though
tsimm15 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-30-2014, 03:35 PM   #11
ahawkeyeguy
Found some matches.

Ribs and smoker look great. Glad you figured it out!
ahawkeyeguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-30-2014, 03:42 PM   #12
eddieh70301
is one Smokin' Farker

What kind of fuel did you use? Are you using wood chunks or chips and how much? I ask because you said the smoke was deep into the meat. I don't have a LS but have a Stumps and I have not been able to get a deep smoke flavor in any meat I cook. I use wood chunks in the charcoal chute and also in the ash tray. It does get some smoke flavor but not enough for me.

Old 03-30-2014, 04:00 PM   #13
clweed

There is a lot of mass to heat If the inside of the pit is 40 deg. Plus a pan full of water to start. When it is that cold I recommend a weed burner to heat the walls and grates .
Also try starting without water, I think you will get a better smoke ring dry.

I mess with my fire a lot. I burn in a u shape so if I need to slow the heat down I pull the charcoal basket and pull the coals back from igniting to much.

You can also add water to cool it down.

You will figure it out in a few cooks

Lee
clweed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-30-2014, 04:32 PM   #14
mikes1212
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddieh70301 View Post
What kind of fuel did you use? Are you using wood chunks or chips and how much? I ask because you said the smoke was deep into the meat. I don't have a LS but have a Stumps and I have not been able to get a deep smoke flavor in any meat I cook. I use wood chunks in the charcoal chute and also in the ash tray. It does get some smoke flavor but not enough for me.
I used KBB for this cook, but I have a few bags of Stubbs waiting. I placed 5 Fist sized chunks of Hickory on top and along my snake of charcoal in the firebox. I thought the fire build should have been OK as is. One thing I did not mention above, the winds were around 15/20 mph with gusts much higher.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-30-2014, 04:50 PM   #15
mikes1212
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsimm15 View Post
Those ribs look good. So after your first cook with the insulated (though still learning), how pleased are you with it? I read the testimonials from Chris' page with someone saying, "If you have heard of cabinets not producing a smoke ring or smoke flavor....IT IS NOT THIS ONE. Period." Do you feel the same about yours?
I'm pleased with the smoker! She's a tank! It was easy to get inside and tend to the ribs while cooking. The racks slide out easily and there is plenty of room to maneuver inside. I never looked inside the firebox, after I got her going.

My only problem with this cook was putting water inside.