• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Weber Performer to Smokehouse

Looks like some good times ahead for you. Great idea & good job.

Pleased follow up and post your cooks/smokes with it.

That is very cool and a great price on a SS Performer. I can't wait to see some cooks with this.

Firing her up

Was going to test smoke this yesterday but we had rain in the afternoon, which is typical for where I live in Florida. Anyways iPhones unreliable weather app showed no rain so I am going for it. Created a ring of charcoal around the bottom and started 6 brickets in my chimney. Going to smoke about a pound of jalapenos and onion/garlic. Cannot do too much smoke wood on jalapenos.

Attachments

• charcoal ringa.jpg
    charcoal ringa.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 68
  • charcoal ring.jpg
    charcoal ring.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 67
Epic Fail

When I fired her up I watched it for 2-3 hours. It stabilized around 200 and was holding. Smoke was good but had some leaks which I expected. However at about 4 hours the yellow pine started shrinking and warping, especially the door. The more the door warped the more air got in and the hotter it got. The roof also buckled. The main box is ok, still square. Some of the tongue and groove wood shrank but not badly. Already tore off the roof and will have to decide on wood replacement or a metal roof. Might be hard to find a non-galvanized roofing. Will also have to remake the door.

But on the positive I do have some chipotle ready to make seasoning out of.

I believe you never learn anything if you don't fail. Redesign, rebuild, try it again.

Attachments

• damage.jpg
    damage.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 65
Rarely is prototype 1 bug free. Great build and now you've found the weak spots to correct and retry. The idea, vision, and blueprint is there which is often the hardest part. Now you just need the proper materials. Nice job!
At the very least, you can cut a crescent moon in the door and make a gnome outhouse for your garden:thumb:

I thought it would catch fire....... why not build it out of 20 gauge steel.?

I was not worried it would catch fire, Pine has a flash point higher than 400 degrees. Was not expecting the door to warp like it did. May try a tighter grained white pine next time. I could have made it out of steel but around here and the steel prices it would be cheaper to buy a WSM. However I do need to replace my washing machine in the next few weeks and that may be an option for metal. :wink:

Your vision of thought, craftsmanship and determination are to be admired.

Back