Painting smoker

Theboz1419

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Now that the temps are good for painting, I need to paint my smoker. I wish I could take it to get powder coated but I don't really have a way to transport 1300 pound smoker ATM.

So, its either spray or roll/brush on. Which is better. I always used spray on my UDS and have yet to try the stuff in a can.

It's has never been painted, built it last winter. Starting next week will get it prepped for painting. I'm not sure what's best to use and will give the best results.

Thanks

I use the high heat rustoleum that comes in a Quart can and spray it with a $10 paint spray gun from harbor freight. Works really well. It is all about the prep. Better the prep, better it looks painted.

I painted this one that way
62291431a8bed22ba1685acd34522047.jpg

When I built my UDS I used Rustoleum High Heat 2000 degree. No complaints. It's found in the automotive section at Walmart and other stores. They also had a slightly less expensive High Heat 1200 degree in the general paint area. If I recall the 2000 degree was $6.99 per can. I'm guessing a 1300lb smoker is pretty big so buying a quart of high temp brush on paint may be more affordable. Good luck.

If you have a large enough air compressor, it will be cheaper to buy the Harbor Freght sprayer and paint by the quart. If not, the rattle cans will do the job OK. Depending on your design, a brush may work well enough, or it could be real difficult to get good coverage behind handles etc.

For the firebox I recommend the 2000* paint. The rest of the smoker should be OK with either 2000* or 1200*.

Well, I decided to give it a go while I had some time off. It's not perfect, will have to sand some areas down and repaint, because the sprayer decided to splatter the paint instead of spraying. For the most part it looks pretty good.

I’ve gotta be honest. I’d let it rock as is. I wouldn’t sand and repaint anything. It looks plenty good.

After all. It’s a smoker, not a car.

BTW, nice looking rig.

VR,
Harold

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

According to the first post, you built that?? You have some talent there, my friend. Nice job!!

Well, I decided to give it a go while I had some time off. It's not perfect, will have to sand some areas down and repaint, because the sprayer decided to splatter the paint instead of spraying. For the most part it looks pretty good.

That looks really good!

That looks really good.

As for painting, I just waited for my smoker to rust a bit and clear coated it. I like the rust look. Granted my smoker is a bit on the thicker side, so the time it rusts out, I will be long gone. lol I meant the outside letting it rusty, not the inside. lol

I've used the rust-o-elm you buy at Lowes the 600 version and 1200 version for the fire pits we built for customers and the paint held well. How often is your smoker 1200 degrees? I would opt for the 600 degree version, it's a tick cheaper.

Back