Tutorial: Dry Brined & Smoked Turkey

SirPorkaLot

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Ok folks, take a seat and read through this post if you’re interested in how I dry brine and smoke my award-winning Turkeys.

It is a method you may not see very often.

This cook started with a 16lb organic Turkey from Wild Fork Foods.

8251a7438fe5e570ccf82d9a8d21b850.jpg

(T = start of smoke time)

T -50 hours: Dry Brine process
The Turkey has been properly thawed and all the offal and neck removed from the cavity.
The pop-up timer is also removed (we don’t need no steeeking timer).

1ac1c66551bbacb6af64323df7b321d0.jpg

Our dry brine - Harvest Brine - is applied at the rate of 1 tsp per pound. Since this is a 16lb Turkey, that means 16 tsp or 5.5
tablespoons of dry brine is applied evenly to the Turkey.

4e797a6a791dd603d34bbad4815bfb38.jpg

Once the bird is dry brined, we must wrap it tightly with plastic wrap (or you can vacuum seal it). There are some places on the internet that suggest not wrapping or covering the bird during the dry brine process, but they’re wrong. Wrap it.

4f244964ae49a9c50945fb0d9fff64c2.jpg

It is recommended to dry brine the Turkey for 3 hours per pound of meat.
16lb Turkey = 48 hours.
So the tightly wrapped dry brined Turkey will go into the fridge for 48 hours

Here it is after 48 hours

5acb2d273019a46e2241a767f6b8531d.jpg

T -2 hours: Air dry
2 hours prior to smoke time, remove plastic wrap and let Turkey air dry. I do this in my fridge as well.

T -0 hours: Smoke time!

I have my 14” WSM preheated to 300F and loaded with briquettes and cherry wood (chunks). I use the Minion method to light the coals and wood chunks. (A few hot coals on top of unlit coals)

There are many ways to cook whole birds (laying down, standing up, spatchcock, etc)

I prefer to cook my Turkey standing up (vertically). Similar to the beer can method, except there ain’t no can (that’s a joke method, don’t use a can)
Several reasons for that, but the main one is air flow.
With it standing vertically and an open cavity, I can get good air flow through the bird. This is important to cook it evenly.
I also like to splay the wings out (tuck the tips behind the thighs), again for good air flow and to cook evenly.

12ab2b63dbb52164a89dd77524eb9713.jpg

At 300F, it will take ~3 hours to cook this Turkey. That’s right, 3 hours.

75951b6a18371b917a7be88b945769b3.jpg

9d065ca243b0374dff659d6d5cebc08e.jpg

I pull the Turkey when it’s 155F in the breast and at least 165F in the thigh (typically is quite a bit more than that, which is good too, the breast temp is what’s important)

ccdae69e11f95b7b743910c6c210b919.jpg

You won’t find a better way to get a juicy Turkey, guaranteed.

ee3038f5084940afd2a355d58242df17.jpg

8aa17fed9ccb431797ff2eabbbd7f5e8.jpg

f2932b4518fd763c44ff38fbfc2a3982.jpg

9960ca6f533ea65e3c2f12435ca270fb.jpg

I did a wet brine several years ago, and then followed that up as instructed to air dry in the fridge uncovered. I can’t remember for sure if it is 12,16, or 24 hours, but it was my worst turkey ever.
I have never air dried turkey or chicken again, ~10 years later.

I’d like more info on the covered/uncovered and time of air drying. I see you only did 2 hours.

I did a wet brine several years ago, and then followed that up as instructed to air dry in the fridge uncovered. I can’t remember for sure if it is 12,16, or 24 hours, but it was my worst turkey ever.
I have never air dried turkey or chicken again, ~10 years later.

I’d like more info on the covered/uncovered and time of air drying. I see you only did 2 hours.

I’ve found the keeping it covered helps to keep the internal juices close to the skin, where they get pulled back in over time.
I only air dry long enough to remove excess moisture from outside of skin. Which after 48 hours is minimal and 2 hours in fridge is plenty of time to air dry it.

Nice write up! I always use Harvest Brine ever since my first try, I see no reason to ever go without.

I’ve found the keeping it covered helps to keep the internal juices close to the skin, where they get pulled back in over time.
I only air dry long enough to remove excess moisture from outside of skin. Which after 48 hours is minimal and 2 hours in fridge is plenty of time to air dry it.

Agree with this - I did it with my last couple turkeys and I do the same with spatchcocked whole chicken, and when I dry brine chicken parts (which is every time cook them) I remove the air out of the ziploc bag to keep the briney goodness close to the meat.

That's a great and informative post. The turkey looks fantastic. I'm ready to try it myself. Thanks.

Edit: I just ordered some Harvest Brine to do my turkey this year, and while there also got some Q-Salt, Sir Porkalot Rib Rub, and some Panko Parmesan Herb

Last edited:
I've never smoked a turkey, just fried them. But I may have to try this. I guess I expected longer than 3 hours.

Do you have to have something to help cook it sitting up? It looks like you have it on a spit of some sort in the air drying picture. Though really my giant frying treble hook would work well for a smoker too.

John,
I have a 20lb turkey dry brining and wrapped per your instructions in my fridge and plan on smoking Sunday. I will be cooking on my IVC and will shoot for 300 degree. I wasn't planning on using water but it looks like you recommend. Do you do any other seasoning before smoking besides the harvest brine? Coat the skin in butter? I will also try and stand the bird up but have no type of stand.

John,
I have a 20lb turkey dry brining and wrapped per your instructions in my fridge and plan on smoking Sunday. I will be cooking on my IVC and will shoot for 300 degree. I wasn't planning on using water but it looks like you recommend. Do you do any other seasoning before smoking besides the harvest brine? Coat the skin in butter? I will also try and stand the bird up but have no type of stand.

No other seasonings needed.

I use the inside of my wife’s cake pan to stand it up, but they do make vertical roasters

8f270a85872a38ee2dba13a4c32db7d9.jpg

Do you rinse the brine off after you take it out of fridge or do you leave it on for seasoning?? I got some of the harvest brine last year and wanna try it this year.

Back