MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-15-2018, 07:40 AM   #16
Buckaroo30
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Name/Nickname : Buck

Might just give a try and see how it is! I've gotten other things like a whole turkey and chicken from him and I must say those where the best I have ever had. They were both given to me though.
Buckaroo30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-15-2018, 08:32 AM   #17
hammb
Full Fledged Farker

To echo what others have said, ask some questions and find out what exactly you're getting. If it's heritage breed, pastured pork, $5/lb is not outlandish at all. If it's crap breed, pastured, raised by the local guy then it might be too much. If it's crap breed raised in similar style as commodity pork, but still by the local guy then it's definitely too much.

All the comments on $.99 or really anything under $2/lb are almost certainly factory farmed commodity grade pork. And while I buy this most of the time too, you certainly get what you pay for. Which, in this case, is almost no "pork" flavor, a scourge on the environment, etc.

For comparison sake there is an awesome farm couple here. They raise pastured chickens/turkeys, have the best eggs I've ever eaten, and they also raise pastured Berkshires. They recently have added enough pasture to have a beef herd as well. Their price for pastured Berkshire Boston Butt is $6.50/lb. Picnics go for $5/lb. I do think that their prices tend to be a bit higher than other pastured, heritage breed vendors, but the quality is excellent and they're awesome people.
hammb is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 06-15-2018, 08:34 PM   #18
Joe Black
Babbling Farker

The restaurant depot near me is usually in the $.99 to $1.39 range and they are good quality.
Joe Black is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-15-2018, 09:01 PM   #19
scp
is one Smokin' Farker

i bought a berkshire butt once...did pulled pork...meh somewhat of a waste...all the good fat melted away...so now I stay with basic restaurant depot butts now. The berksihre would have been good for making soppresata or a cure sausage where you eat/save the fat.