What do you usually pay for a good pork butt?

Buckaroo30

Reaction score
A co-workers dad is a butcher and wants $5 a pound for a butt. He lives on a hudderite colony where they raise and butcher their own hogs. It will be fresh. Is this too much or a good price?

Kroger in my area has picnics for $.99/lb this week. The yield is not as good as a butt but the flavor is comparable.

I understand it is fresh, but even when I buy directly from the local slaughterhouse Prices are still $1.79 a pound.

BJ's is also currently at $1.79 a pound and Wegmans had them for $1.39 this morning.

I agree, look elsewhere, sounds like you are being gouged.

It sounds high. You do well, to compare that price with a local farmers market price (if there is one) and see what they ask for pork. I say that because they will be higher than the store, but you are usually getting a great product. Also if there is a different close meat store, that will give you a good idea too. The best pork i have made, came from a local meat guy.

For standard store bought factory raised pork <$1.79 a pound and less on sale. For all natural, organic, free range Duroc pork I pay $5.99 a pound and occasionally get it as low as $3.99 a pound. Your $5.00/lb may be a great price if it is heritage pork, no commercial feed, free range pastured raised. Ask some more questions. I find the the "good stuff" has far more flavor and taste best with a conservative application of salt and pepper only.

I'm paying $1.59/lb. right now through Sysco. Not sure why it's gone up so much, it's usually around $1.34/lb.

Wegmans used to have some pretty decent butts for $.49/lb. Now $.99/lb seems to be the norm. I don't like pork enough to pay $5/lb no matter who raised them. Unless you plan on eating it raw? In some countries they eat it raw, and its so fresh, its safe, but if you are planning on bringing it up to 200F, $.99/lb is the right price, otherwise your getting ripped off.

I would say that buying one and trying it would the way to go. A relatively inexpensive experiment and if the quality is there you might not mind paying the difference.

Duroc, Berkshire and other heritage breeds will usually cost around that much, especially if you're buying direct from local farmer. If you're looking at the under $2/lb price that's commodity pork, raised much differently in most situations than what your co-workers dad is doing. I would buy it.

Might just give a try and see how it is! I've gotten other things like a whole turkey and chicken from him and I must say those where the best I have ever had. They were both given to me though.

To echo what others have said, ask some questions and find out what exactly you're getting. If it's heritage breed, pastured pork, $5/lb is not outlandish at all. If it's crap breed, pastured, raised by the local guy then it might be too much. If it's crap breed raised in similar style as commodity pork, but still by the local guy then it's definitely too much.

All the comments on $.99 or really anything under $2/lb are almost certainly factory farmed commodity grade pork. And while I buy this most of the time too, you certainly get what you pay for. Which, in this case, is almost no "pork" flavor, a scourge on the environment, etc.

For comparison sake there is an awesome farm couple here. They raise pastured chickens/turkeys, have the best eggs I've ever eaten, and they also raise pastured Berkshires. They recently have added enough pasture to have a beef herd as well. Their price for pastured Berkshire Boston Butt is $6.50/lb. Picnics go for $5/lb. I do think that their prices tend to be a bit higher than other pastured, heritage breed vendors, but the quality is excellent and they're awesome people.

The restaurant depot near me is usually in the $.99 to $1.39 range and they are good quality.

i bought a berkshire butt once...did pulled pork...meh somewhat of a waste...all the good fat melted away...so now I stay with basic restaurant depot butts now. The berksihre would have been good for making soppresata or a cure sausage where you eat/save the fat.

Back