American Royal

Juggy D Beerman

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Anybody going to the Royal this year? This will mark my 32nd year of cooking there. You will notice I did not use the term, "competing" and used the word "cooking" instead. I am a realist and I know our chances of winning a ribbon in the big four meat categories are slim and you don't see too many slim people at a BBQ contest. Our team only cooks one contest a year so that is why I feel we are not a true competitive team. But we are serious about our cooking and try our best. Our team, Juggy's Juicers will be cooking in spot 317. Maybe I might meet some of the people that hang out here at the Royal. Good luck to all!

Lager,

Juggy

I was heavily involved in the Royal both cooking and working before I moved north. Miss it and it looks like the weather is actually decent this year. Good luck.

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

Royal

Wish I was in town buddy. Have fun!

Anybody going to the Royal this year? This will mark my 32nd year of cooking there. You will notice I did not use the term, "competing" and used the word "cooking" instead. I am a realist and I know our chances of winning a ribbon in the big four meat categories are slim and you don't see too many slim people at a BBQ contest. Our team only cooks one contest a year so that is why I feel we are not a true competitive team. But we are serious about our cooking and try our best. Our team, Juggy's Juicers will be cooking in spot 317. Maybe I might meet some of the people that hang out here at the Royal. Good luck to all!

Lager,

Juggy

I always wanted to cook and experience the Royal just once, but don't think I'll ever be able to, but it's still on my bbq bucket list.

Thanks to all who replied!

Porcine Perfection - The weather was the best I can ever recall for the Royal. Mid 70s during the day and 50s at night made for good sleeping. That is if you call two hour naps with intermissions at night, sleeping.

Eric: I really wish you could have been there. We needed help! We were missing three of our team members. Besides myself, I had two assistants who had only help cooked in two contests.

bbqczar: If the AR is on your bucket list, go for it! I cannot adequately describe how BIG that contest really is with mere words. You have to see it to believe it. Every competitive cooker needs to do it at least once. When you do pull that piece of paper out of your bucket list that reads American Royal, that piece of paper better have a lot of $100.00 bills attached to it. I quit counting how much I spent to cook this contest when the numbers added up to $1500.00. I know it costs me a lot more.

If anyone is interested, I am in the process of writing an email reporting my experiences from my 32nd and possibly last year at the Royal. Of course I have been saying this is my last year for twenty years now..............

Lager,

Juggy

I went back in 2011. It was a riot. Got 7th briskie in the Invitational. Got 6th briskie in the open and 15th overall. So glad we went, A lot of memories.

Congrats to Que U on winning BOTH the Invitational and the Open. Truly historic and likely will never be done again:clap2:

I heard one guy say it's the equivalent of a great amateur golfer winning the US Open and Masters in the same weekend.

I went back in 2011. It was a riot. Got 7th briskie in the Invitational. Got 6th briskie in the open and 15th overall. So glad we went, A lot of memories.

Was there too! That Jan can cook some brisket!!

On a VERY clean pit, I might add. :)

Back