MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk > BBQ Brethren Throwdowns

Notices

BBQ Brethren Throwdowns Join us in the backyard for a fun bi-weekly photo contest and show off your BBQ creations! New categories are posted every other week, plus a special monthly category. Winners earn bragging rights, a Throwdown Certificate, prizes, and the chance to choose the next category. Some of our most talked about cooking techniques and recipes were given birth in the Throwdowns!

Old 04-05-2021, 10:59 AM   #1
Moose
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Richard
Lightbulb ***Welcome to the OFFICIAL Throwdown Lounge! Kick Back and Enjoy General Throwdown Banter, Ask Questions, Share Ideas & Suggestions!***

I’ve been meaning to launch this for a while now, as it creates a space for us to interact and discuss off topic content away from Throwdown entry threads.

Anything Throwdown-related that is constructive is welcome. In particular, this is the perfect place to throw your suggestions in the hat for upcoming monthly special Throwdowns.

So let’s get the party started! What would you like to talk about?

Last edited by Moose; 04-10-2021 at 12:02 PM..
Moose is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 04-05-2021, 11:54 AM   #2
ronbrad62

Name/Nickname : Ron

Can I kick it off? Do I need any special camera equipment to take outstanding photos like most of you guys do or are there any tricks you'd care to share?
ronbrad62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 11:55 AM   #3
LYU370

How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood? And could that wood be used to cook a chuck for a throwdown?

FEC100 - Big Joe - Weber Spirit II Gasser

Are you ready for a THROWDOWN?!?!? Join us, It's a BLAST!!

Join us for the Inaugural 2024 South East Bash - May 2024 Tennessee - Sign Up Link
LYU370 is online now   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: --->
Old 04-05-2021, 12:01 PM   #4
LYU370

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronbrad62 View Post
Can I kick it off? Do I need any special camera equipment to take outstanding photos like most of you guys do or are there any tricks you'd care to share?
I just use my cellphone camera. Google Pixel 3aXL. Then I crop the picture so the main item has filled the frame, straighten out if needed, etc. To get the blurred backgrounds I use the Portrait mode on the camera, have to make sure the main image is far enough away from the background so the Goggle image processing can work its magic.

FEC100 - Big Joe - Weber Spirit II Gasser

Are you ready for a THROWDOWN?!?!? Join us, It's a BLAST!!

Join us for the Inaugural 2024 South East Bash - May 2024 Tennessee - Sign Up Link
LYU370 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 12:03 PM   #5
Moose

Quote:

That's three questions!

For #3, behold the The *OFFICIAL* Throwdown Photography Tips Thread in all its glory! All your answers and more will be found here:

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=96575
Old 04-05-2021, 02:17 PM   #6
PnkPanther
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Adam

I'm still waiting for a show as your wurst throw down
Old 04-05-2021, 02:22 PM   #7
PnkPanther
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by LYU370 View Post
I just use my cellphone camera. Google Pixel 3aXL. Then I crop the picture so the main item has filled the frame, straighten out if needed, etc. To get the blurred backgrounds I use the Portrait mode on the camera, have to make sure the main image is far enough away from the background so the Goggle image processing can work its magic.

good tip, I have same phone and should start looking to use portrait mode. When I first started doing throwdowns my camera phone was really ****ty and showed, but I still entered

On top of having better Camera, I've learned few tricks from others and pay more attention to plating, angles, etc. I still put my photo skills well behind some of the people here, but I can generally be in the ball park of acceptable photos
Old 04-05-2021, 02:22 PM   #8
Moose

You mean "Show us Your Wurst? Is this a suggestion, or are you planning to keep waiting around for it?
Old 04-05-2021, 02:26 PM   #9
PnkPanther
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose View Post
You mean "Show us Your Wurst? Is this a suggestion, or are you planning to keep waiting around for it?

It's a suggestion to use pun name next we have hot dog/sausage throw down

Old 04-05-2021, 03:09 PM   #10
Moose

So let's get a little focused here and see what we can come up with for contenders for the May Special Throwdown. I'd like to have it narrowed down to 3-4 categories for us to vote on, so put some thought to it. If we get more than 4 formal suggestions, Matt and I will pick the ones we think are the best fit for the vote. Then we'll put it to to a vote on Monday, April 19th.

As least that's the idea.

Here's how we typically decide these:

Because the SPECIAL Throwdowns lasts an entire month, the category should be fairly broad, and repeatable since we allow multiple entries on these.
Don't repeat a category we've already done in the last 12 months.
Look to past monthly special Throwdowns for ideas or variations on popular favorites.
Come up with something completely different!
Old 04-05-2021, 05:39 PM   #11
ronbrad62

Name/Nickname : Ron

As for ideas for TD's, I have two:
1) MSU- don't follow a recipe, make it up as you go along and see what you come up with.
2) Cook something that you have never cooked before or were intimidated by. We all like to learn new things, right?
3) Bonus category- Since May is Mother's Day month, cook your mom's favorite dish, or your wife's, in their honor.
ronbrad62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 08:44 PM   #12
Bill-Chicago

Location: Chicago Southwestern Burbs, but always south of Madison Ave.
Name/Nickname : Professor Dickweed

May is for May-O

Anything Mayo, could be an option

The death of "willkat98"

Me: If you aren't woke, that means you're still sleeping, right?
Kid today: That's racist!

Bandera, M-BGE, WSM, Gold Kettle, Kenmore Gasser, 36Qt Turkey Fryer, ECB, Dutch Oven, Black Iron BBQ Viper-M, Blackstone 36" Griddle
Bill-Chicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 04:15 AM   #13
SmokinAussie

Location: Gold Coast, Queensland! (Finally Escaped Melbourne)
Name/Nickname : Bill

Great idea Richard! I hope to learn a lot. Y'know I love photography. I have a nice mirrorless camera. I have a good phone camera and a gimble even. Can't take a good TD shot to save myself. Could be that wine is involved. I need to work on that, but anyway a great place to ask here and shoot the chit for TD ideas.

Well done.

Bill
SmokinAussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 04-06-2021, 07:27 AM   #14
Moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-Chicago View Post
May is for May-O

Anything Mayo, could be an option

Hmmm. We've definitely not done that before! I see a potential rash of mayo slathers...
Old 04-06-2021, 07:36 AM   #15
Moose

Quote:
As for ideas for TD's, I have two:
1) MSU- don't follow a recipe, make it up as you go along and see what you come up with.
2) Cook something that you have never cooked before or were intimidated by. We all like to learn new things, right?
3) Bonus category- Since May is Mother's Day month, cook your mom's favorite dish, or your wife's, in their honor.

All good ones, Ron!

We've sort of done an MSU type Throwdown like this in the past with the "Four Ingredient Challenge" Throwdown, but that was before MSU became widely known:

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/s...d.php?t=219049

We haven't done it since 2015, so perhaps a new and improved version:

"The MSU Four Ingredient Challenge" is in order! This one is definitely going on the list.

Last edited by Moose; 04-06-2021 at 02:02 PM..