MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-16-2019, 05:15 PM   #1
cmwr
is One Chatty Farker

Default smoked Chuck roast

How come all the recipes for smoked chuck roast say internal of 180 or 190 for a finishing temperature? Why wouldn't you want it similar to a brisket say 204-205?
cmwr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-16-2019, 05:46 PM   #2
savagebrood
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Josh

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmwr View Post
How come all the recipes for smoked chuck roast say internal of 180 or 190 for a finishing temperature? Why wouldn't you want it similar to a brisket say 204-205?

Depends on the application for the roast. If you want to slice it, 160° is fine. If you want to pull it like pork, you have to get it to 195 internal. The chuck comes from a working muscle just above the brisket and needs time to render fat and connective tissue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
savagebrood is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-16-2019, 05:53 PM   #3
cmwr
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by savagebrood View Post
Depends on the application for the roast. If you want to slice it, 160° is fine. If you want to pull it like pork, you have to get it to 195 internal. The chuck comes from a working muscle just above the brisket and needs time to render fat and connective tissue.

I want to slice it like brisket. But brisket you usually cook two around 205 and its fall apart tender. If I cook a chuck to 160 and slice it won't it be tough? I just want to be able to slice it and have the slice fold over your finger like a well-done brisket and I didn't think 160 or 180 would accomplish that? I did some chuck roast a few weeks ago and the flavor was awesome but they were rather tough.

Old 11-16-2019, 05:59 PM   #4
BuffettFan
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Terry

I've smoked quite a few of them.
I treat them just like brisket.
Cook them to probe tender, then slice or pull.

Thanks from: --->
Old 11-16-2019, 06:28 PM   #5
cmwr
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffettFan View Post
I've smoked quite a few of them.
I treat them just like brisket.
Cook them to probe tender, then slice or pull.
This is what I was planning on doing. but when I cook a pork shoulder or a brisket to probe tender it's usually around 205 degrees. When I googled smoked chuck roast most people are saying either pull it at 160 or 180 so I got confused because it wouldn't be probe tender at those temperatures I don't think

Old 11-16-2019, 07:06 PM   #6
Monkey Uncle
is one Smokin' Farker

A chuck roast at 160 - 180 likely will be tougher than the sole of your shoe. In my experience, a chuck roast is the hardest cut of beef to get right. It doesn't probe tender until it's 205 F or more, and at that point it is dried out. I quit trying and just stick to brisket now. Brisket is easier, and cheaper too. Save the chuck for pot roast.
Monkey Uncle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-16-2019, 07:09 PM   #7
cmwr
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey Uncle View Post
A chuck roast at 160 - 180 likely will be tougher than the sole of your shoe. In my experience, a chuck roast is the hardest cut of beef to get right. It doesn't probe tender until it's 205 F or more, and at that point it is dried out. I quit trying and just stick to brisket now. Brisket is easier, and cheaper too. Save the chuck for pot roast.
Thanks for the advice but too late.
Lunch is be already scheduled tomorrow. If I wrapped at 160 until probe tender wouldn't it be juicy from being in the foil

Old 11-16-2019, 07:17 PM   #8
BuffettFan
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Terry

I neglected to mention that I wrap them as you mentioned.
I add some beef stock at that time.
They generally turn out tender and juicy.

Thanks from: --->
Old 11-16-2019, 07:21 PM   #9
drunkenmeatfist
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Sammy

Quote:
This is what I was planning on doing. but when I cook a pork shoulder or a brisket to probe tender it's usually around 205 degrees. When I googled smoked chuck roast most people are saying either pull it at 160 or 180 so I got confused because it wouldn't be probe tender at those temperatures I don't think
Doing a general Google search can be problematic. I always search this site if I have a question and then branch out if I can't find my answer here. It is rare that I don't find it here though.
drunkenmeatfist is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-16-2019, 07:28 PM   #10
savagebrood
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Josh
Default smoked Chuck roast

Quote:
I want to slice it like brisket. But brisket you usually cook two around 205 and its fall apart tender. If I cook a chuck to 160 and slice it won't it be tough? I just want to be able to slice it and have the slice fold over your finger like a well-done brisket and I didn't think 160 or 180 would accomplish that? I did some chuck roast a few weeks ago and the flavor was awesome but they were rather tough.

If you get to 205° you’re not slicing it. It will be confetti because of the way the grain runs - top to bottom of the roast rather than side to side. I’d just smoke it and pull into chunks. See pic below.

savagebrood is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-16-2019, 08:27 PM   #11
morgan-que
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Captain Morgan

Just make pepper stout beef!!

Old 11-16-2019, 09:41 PM   #12
cmwr
is One Chatty Farker

I am understanding now. Maybe wrap. At 160 until 180ish internal?

Old 11-16-2019, 09:42 PM   #13
cmwr
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by savagebrood View Post
If you get to 205° you’re not slicing it. It will be confetti because of the way the grain runs - top to bottom of the roast rather than side to side. I’d just smoke it and pull into chunks. See pic below.

Understood thanks. I never thought about the differences in the grain between the two cuts.

Old 11-16-2019, 09:42 PM   #14
cmwr
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkenmeatfist View Post
Doing a general Google search can be problematic. I always search this site if I have a question and then branch out if I can't find my answer here. It is rare that I don't find it here though.
Won't argue there! That's why I came back here. This place is full of good answers

Old 11-17-2019, 05:49 AM   #15
Monkey Uncle
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Thanks for the advice but too late.
Lunch is be already scheduled tomorrow. If I wrapped at 160 until probe tender wouldn't it be juicy from being in the foil
I did exactly that on my last chuck and it turned out dry. I didn't add any liquid, though.
Monkey Uncle is offline   Reply With Quote