Homemade "bologna"

sudsandswine

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
I ate bologna and cheese sandwiches fairly regularly when I was a kid, something that my own have not really experienced yet. Instead of buying the ol' Oscar Meyer packaged bologna, I decided to try making my own with "better" ingredients.

I removed the coppa from a Boston butt to cure and had about 6.5lbs of the butt remaining, so I picked up a couple chuck roasts from the store and decided to do a mix of beef and pork for the bologna fodder. I used The Sausage Maker premixed bologna seasoning, and it called for 60/40 beef/pork, although I only had enough beef to make it a 50/50 mix so I went with that. 100% beef or 100% pork probably would've worked fine as well.

I ran the meat through the 1/4" plate and then once more through the 3/16" plate. I was working with 10lbs of meat to stuff in the tube so I didn't think truly emulsifying in a food processor was in the cards. In retrospect, one more pass through the 3/16" plate would've probably gotten it pretty close to an emulsified texture but it didn't bother me to see some fat particles in my "bologna".

Pork:

Beef:

All mixed together with the other ingredients after a second grinder pass:

I don't have access to a true "smoke house" to follow the stepped temp increase process I'd read in a few different recipes, so I just set it horizontally on my Mak on "smoke" and called it good. The big 4 7/8" chub probably took 6-7 hours, the smaller chub containing what didn't fit into that casing took about 4 hours. Once I pulled them off, I rinsed in cold water and then dunked into an ice water bath before putting them in the fridge overnight.

The "bologna" mix in the summer sausage casing:

The 4 7/8" chub:

I pan fried a thick slice off the larger chub and it was pretty tasty. My plan is to slice a lot of it into deli slices but keep a chunk or two for scoring, seasoning, and re-smoking like I've seen many people do before.

The 2 3/8" casing I'll probably use mostly for fried bologna sliders, possibly scoring, seasoning, and smoking that one too.

I’m always up for a baloney and cheese. Bet yours bets any I’ve ever had (all store bought)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

That looks really good to me. At the advice of one of my sausage mentors, I stopped emulsifying my frankfurters and bologna, it's too much work and I like seeing whole mustard seeds, peppercorns, specks of fat and if I add hi-temp cheese or jalapeno I get a good bind.

I do add NFDM, and usually do a fine (or double fine) grind on 80%, but leave 20% a little coarser and that seems to bind well too. I like doing a sous vide finish after cold smoking, it dials in the temp perfectly.

Looks great, that is something that has been on my sausage to do list for a bit that I still need to get to. I think i like the look of that with a little texture to it rather than emulsifying it.

Came back to re-read and look at pics...

After looking and thinkin’ I’m pretty sure the texture of your bologna is more appealing than the pudding looking texture of the big brands...

That’s it, I gotta try homemade bologna...

Thanks for the inspiration Suds!!

Do you have a drive through window? I'll order a couple sammiches to go.

One's being installed next week :laugh:

Looks great!! What temp did you smoke it at and were you shooting for a certain internal temp?

The "smoke" setting on my Mak is around 170*, a little higher than what's probably normally used but that's what I had to work with. I took it to 155* IT.

Good job.

Once I started making it homemade, I never looked back. It freezes well so I make 5 lbs or so at a time and cut it into manageable chunks, vac, and freeze.

Looks awesome! Thanks for sharing. I've heard good things about The Sausage Maker items. Give Walton's Inc. a try. I have loved everything I have gotten from them. Tubed casings, seasoning mixes, etc. Very good stuff.

Looks like Lebanon Balogna, which is great! I've never tried smoking a chub seasoned up, but instead what we like to do is take about a 3/4" slice and grill them off. I call them balogna burgers, lol!

Not a fan of bologna but I d appreciate the work and your post

It's funny but between all the bologna pre-packaged seasonings and many varieties of home mixed seasonings, and some recipes using different ratios of beef, pork or maybe tossing venison in the mix.... the end product can resemble anything you want from a frankfurter to a summer sausage.

Back