MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-01-2017, 03:14 PM   #1
zethreal
Got Wood.

Default New UDS build

So I'm new to this whole smoking thing & figured I'd go the cheap route to see if I'd use a smoker enough to warrant anything "better" ( IE: More expensive ).

I've got a 55 gallon drum. It's food grade, without a liner, but it has a crimped lid that isn't removable (well, it isn't supposed to be, but with enough elbow grease & power tools, anything is ). I have everything I think I need except a lid and the expanded steel for the coal bin. I'm hoping I can remove the crimped lid from the outside. It looks like I could put a bit of a bend in it and pop it off with a hammer & crowbar. If I can remove the lid that way, I think I can use it as-is. If not, I'll be out looking for a donor Weber and chopping it off from the inside using an angle grinder.

Tonight or tomorrow I'm going to start with the attempted lid removal. It will most likely be tomorrow since there are severe thunderstorm warnings all over the place up here. If I remember, I'll take before & after pics.
zethreal is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-01-2017, 03:22 PM   #2
dadsr4
somebody shut me the fark up.

Try this with a grinder.

Old 05-01-2017, 03:29 PM   #3
zethreal
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadsr4 View Post
Try this with a grinder.
I've seen similar diagrams. I was just hoping I could save the lid at least until I could get a replacement.

I was going to try to come from underneath and bend the lip outward. It definitely looks like there's at least a bit of a gap between where the lid is crimped and the side of the barrel.

Old 05-01-2017, 04:31 PM   #4
drallan81
On the road to being a farker

Could you grind it off from the outside? You would still have the center and top portion of the lid to form a lip that would rest inside the drum. Might need to deburr it or smooth out some way. I would be affraid of denting or deforming the drum/lid too much trying to pry it off.
drallan81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-01-2017, 04:36 PM   #5
Yellowhair42
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadsr4 View Post
Try this with a grinder.
Grind at the 3 o'clock position, not 12.

Thanks from: --->
Old 05-02-2017, 02:28 PM   #6
zethreal
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowhair42 View Post
Grind at the 3 o'clock position, not 12.
I'll try that. Since it has decided to not stop raining, it's being put off yet another day. I'm hoping to be ready for a weekend burnout & build... The weather is not cooperating.

Tags
uds build