316 Stainless UDS build help is welcome

dennisbrok

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Well here we go then

First of all sorrie for my englich
ill try to keep it so everyone can reed it (im actually dutch)

Today was a good day to start my first smoker/UDS build

And i started with the heart of the monster the charkole box

i had these two stainless grills lying around
been laying in the grass somewhere in the yard for a few years
and where never cleaned before i threw them there

IMG_1207_zpspqt6xcqw.jpg

its about 7 mm so its gonna get heavy :)
IMG_1208_zpszpoacggn.jpg

so i used a cutting disc to cut the ends off
IMG_1210_zpsjpxaieah.jpg

and i ended up with 34 dirty rods
how to clean these bad boys
i like making it easy so i clamped a power drill and put the rods in one by one cleaning them with sanding paper
IMG_1211_zpsd9x7mypn.jpg

after a few i was wandering what the hell i was dooing and why i diddend use new ones
just keep gooing dennis it will all be worth it you will see :)
IMG_1213_zpsk80bnkco.jpg

and yes finually after i thing 2 life times and maybe 60 minutes
IMG_1214_zps1riifehh.jpg

so here i had my rods nice and clean lets make something

started with making a circle on the work bench and placing rods in there for starters
IMG_1215_zpspdoxg1zi.jpg

Tig welded with 316L wire two overlaying rods
IMG_1218_zpsotw1ypcs.jpg

IMG_1216_zpscj0dgo9a.jpg

weld 3 rods together and bend it around for the circle (kinda)
IMG_1219_zpsbd3soro6.jpg

added 15 cm rod standing up 36 times
IMG_1220_zpsce1dug4j.jpg

weld a 2 mm by 20 mm strip of stainless to the top of that and added a handle to be able to pick it out of the uds
alsow added 8 cm legs under it to lift it up from the ground
IMG_1221_zpszpvcvft0.jpg

IMG_1222_zpsprjqrgqo.jpg

Thinking about dooing a pizza tray or someting under it to catch the falling aches

So this in day one of the build

plan is to make the whole thing stainless 316

im getting a 200 L 55 gallon barrel from my moms work place where they trow there tings out every day
its been used for fich oil for the food industry so its gonna stink like fich for sure

but nothing a good power wach and burn wont get out

i already have the 3/4 threads 90 degree bents ballvalves and uprichts to make 3 inlets all 3/4

alsow ill be building a temp controller bij using a pid controller and a fan

and these will be incorperated in this build

so any ideas you guys have or if you see me make a mistake please comment and i can make the change if need be

this is my first build so lets hope all turns out well

thanks for reading and try and keep up :)

Congratulations on a great start, impressive welding job, looking forward to further episodes..........:thumb:

Great start! I would recommend using one thick intake if you can. When you bend the intake riser 90 deg. it severely limits the amount of air that comes through (someone here said every bend reduces airflow 50%). You could weld the elbow directly on to the barrel and use one thick pipe (1-1/2 to 2") and small nipple to go with it. Just a suggestion. Also make sure you have plenty of exhaust (3-4.5 sq. inch)

You can add a grilling mod which I've done and I love it. Also you can weld a PBC style hanging grate. Just fashion some rod into a circle the size of the grate with three parallel rods running across. Of course you'll need to install bolts high up to hold it. Just some ideas

I hope the intake wont be a problem becouse of the ventilator im gooing to use on one of the intakes

Plan is to put 2 intakes 3/4 on the front left and richt with 90 degree turn up and a pipe to bring the ball valves just under the rim all 3/4

And then have the ventilator on the back it comes with 3/4 outher thred

Thanks for the advice on the grilling mod was looking for a way to do this

You have my attention. Nice welds. If you're putting this kind of effort and skill into the charcoal basket I cant wait to see the rest of the build.

I hope the intake wont be a problem becouse of the ventilator im gooing to use on one of the intakes

Plan is to put 2 intakes 3/4 on the front left and richt with 90 degree turn up and a pipe to bring the ball valves just under the rim all 3/4

And then have the ventilator on the back it comes with 3/4 outher thred

Thanks for the advice on the grilling mod was looking for a way to do this

Check out this thread.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=102836

Think carefully about where you want to place the U-bolts or where you want the top of the fire basket. You will need different distances between the firebox and the grate depending on if you're going to throw some coals in and just grill (steak/burger/sausage), or if you're raising a full basket of coals to sear. I use two distances, one about half way up where I could also place a diffuser and one close to the grate where I can grill with just one lit chimney

hi again

i think i have a little bit of a problem
today i got the fotos of the barrels my mom got for me from here work
its 210 L in stead of 200 so there a little bigger not a problem
there mega heavy thick steal (compare it to a stainless steal cooking pot)
no problem there makes it a lot stronger
and there shiny really shiny

did i mention im getting these for free

theres one mayor problem
IMG_1225_zpscfjujkyk.jpg

IMG_1224_zpsfhdiuqto.jpg

THE LID

OMG

How am i gonna make this work

i dont have a webber lid (not that they have those in stainless)

and i was planning to use this one but was expecting one with one of those bads you can take off

anyone suggestions what to do ??

is there a tread of a tutorial where someone already did it

im thinking of cutting it off and welding a flenge to it of something its thick stuff and i have a tig welder

who can help ?

thanks

dennis

I've seen people lay flat sheets of steel or plywood with exhaust holes on top of their barrels for lids. I've also seen steel rolled into cones or tee-pee type configurations and used for a lid. Not pretty but works.

I'm no expert but I recently built a stainless UDS.

#1 suggestion, consider a BGE air intake instead of ball valves. Maybe it's just an aesthetic thing, but I like they way they look better than ball valves. I used the Big Poppa Smoker's kit on mine, and I still think I would have preferred the BGE intake over the BPS intakes.

#2 the step drill bit that came with my kit was useless against stainless. Maybe my drill spins too high rpm. I don't know for sure, but the bit was toast before I could drill the 2nd hole. But a good hole saw cut through my drum like butter. It's a Milwaukee bi metal, white color, saw from Home Depot (I think). I'm sure others would also work, but I would not use one from Harbor Freight.

#3- for the lid, that's a tough one. I had the same situation, and I kinda screwed up, but I saved it with a Weber lid. After I cut my top off, I read that you can grind around the outside of that rolled bead, just through the first layer of material, and the lid will pop off but be able to go back on. I'd do that first next time. I'm sure it'll take a bit more grinding and sanding to make it a clean reusable lid.

Good luck and I love your charcoal basket!

BM

#3- for the lid, that's a tough one. I had the same situation, and I kinda screwed up, but I saved it with a Weber lid. After I cut my top off, I read that you can grind around the outside of that rolled bead, just through the first layer of material, and the lid will pop off but be able to go back on. I'd do that first next time. I'm sure it'll take a bit more grinding and sanding to make it a clean reusable lid.

Gonne get these 2 bad boys next week thursday so the weekend after that in gooing to try to cut it off and maybe round the end and make a lid of it it looks like i have Some metal on the top to work with

Dont really like the look of the t shape and i already promisd the other barrel to a friend with same idea

Ill make the top work :)

Right now im pickeling the stainless charkole basket update in 1 our contains good tips on how to make stainless really rust proof after welding (also with steel)

ok so here it is

i call it pickeling couse that what it says on the jar
before pics
IMG_1228_zps7jwhan1q.jpg

IMG_1227_zpshxh8wptt.jpg

so the pickeling is to clean all discouloration you see after welding and that means pulling the dirty stuff the air surrounding youre weld while welding ans while cooling has in it and mixis in the metal its this what will couse youre stainless to rust after welding

think about youre fire pit if you put water on red metal it will rust instantly
dont realy know how to explain better google it :)

what i use is pickeling paste
IMG_1229_zpstx5rnqmt.jpg

yes it will kill you if you look at it to long and hurts if hits skin after 5 seconds
do wear gloves goggels and long sleevs
wash hands after and be really caruful

just put it on with painting bruch
IMG_1230_zpsvip8drwx.jpg

let soak for 30-45 minutes and powerwach and clean with lots of water and bruch and pressure washer

IMG_1232_zpstnrth46k.jpg

IMG_1231_zpsvx626gow.jpg

you can see the colour change where the welds where

use the stuff all the time and love it :)

also if you weld on the barrel and you get the colouring you can remove this

if used on steal wash off after 15 min or it wil start eating the metal :)

Back