MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-09-2014, 09:19 PM   #1
bbq1980
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Expensive sandblasting or buy a weed burner?

So apparently I have a better chance of finding a needle in a haystack than I do of locating an affordable sandblaster for my new unlined UDS drum. One place in the city wanted $100 and another place closer to home wanted $150, but I need to call them back tomorrow and try and negotiate it down from $150. I prefer the peace of mind, but $150? I've probably got a bit money more invested in the drum than I want, and I wanted a nice end product that will last, but geesh. Makes me wish I bought an SS drum to start with.

I found one place that sells blasting supplies but doesn't do the actual blasting, a few places that only do large orders and I've called an auto body shop that doesn't do any blasting and doesn't know anyone locally that does.

I also can't do a large burn (town/village rule) and don't have a more remote place I can take the drum, so unless I call some more auto shops, it looks like I may be in the market for a weed burner. Any suggestions on type? I'd be looking for safe/easy to use.

I've never used a weed burner before and have none of the needed supplies, but as others have mentioned, I can probably get the one that HF sells with the push button igniter, plus striker, gloves, propane tank, and propane for less than what the sandblasters want, and at least I'd have some tools I can use again. I've also got some 220 grit sandpaper and some green scotch brite pads from the hardware store so I can scuff/clean the exterior after the burn before priming.

Anyone else find the search for a decent sandblaster this difficult? I read about folks having drums blasted for around $50 and figured it'd be cake to find someone in the NW Chicago 'burbs but apparently not. Thx for the help. I've got everything built and just need to get the burn or blasting done so I can paint and get to cookin'.

Old 04-09-2014, 09:20 PM   #2
Bigbux58
Knows what a fatty is.

Sandblast it....
Bigbux58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-09-2014, 09:23 PM   #3
ITBFQ
is One Chatty Farker

I called around to a couple places here in Naperville and Yorkville. The Naperville place was around $150 if I remember right. The Yorkville place did some small work for me (an old school desk legs) and charged me next to nothing. They might be worth a call, but its a long haul from BG. Its Fox Valley Sandblasting and Powdercoating.

Good luck, and let me know what you find out if you go that route.

[URL="https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hatfield-and-McCoy-Barbecue/765488903565575"]Hatfield and McCoy Barbecue[/URL] - Co-Pitmaster
Illinois This Butt's for 'Que - Pitmaster

KCBS CBJ; 18.5" WSM; [COLOR="Sienna"]U[/COLOR][COLOR="Navy"]D[/COLOR][COLOR="Sienna"]S[/COLOR]; [COLOR="Red"]Thermapen Mk4[/COLOR]; [COLOR="Blue"]DigiQ DX2[/COLOR]; [COLOR="DarkOrange"]IQ120[/COLOR]; [COLOR="Gray"]CharBroil Gasser (wind victim after 11 years)[/COLOR]; Maverick; OTS x2; etc.

[URL="http://bbqbeat.com/hatfield-and-mccoy-bbq-team/"]We're (kinda) famous![/URL]
ITBFQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-09-2014, 09:40 PM   #4
Fwismoker
somebody shut me the fark up.

I got mine sandblasted and high heat powder coated for 80 dollars.... they are WAY overcharging! The place i called all they do is powder coat and ceramic coating.

Visit [COLOR="Red"]OctoForks[/COLOR] in Sales & Ventures

Website & Blog: [url]www.octoforks.com[/url]
Fwismoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-09-2014, 09:48 PM   #5
DriverWild
is one Smokin' Farker

If you regret not getting SS your drum should sell quickly on CL. So you could still change your mind. I burned and steel brushed mine out but will go SS next time.

Old 04-09-2014, 09:51 PM   #6
bbq1980
Knows what a fatty is.

Thanks for input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbux58 View Post
Sandblast it....

I'm considering it, mostly because it'd be a professional job and I believe in the "do it right the first time, or else invest more time/money to fix it" approach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITBFQ View Post
I called around to a couple places here in Naperville and Yorkville. The Naperville place was around $150 if I remember right. The Yorkville place did some small work for me (an old school desk legs) and charged me next to nothing. They might be worth a call, but its a long haul from BG. Its Fox Valley Sandblasting and Powdercoating.
Yup, Fox Valley is a hike. I was hoping for a place closer by, but I've been searching on and off for weeks. If I go that route, I'll let you know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fwismoker View Post
I got mine sandblasted and high heat powder coated for 80 dollars.... they are WAY overcharging! The place i called all they do is powder coat and ceramic coating.
Yeah, no kidding. But I guess it is what it is. If I go with it, hopefully they do a good job. It stinks too since I'm practically done with the build. I'll figure it out, one way or the other.

Old 04-09-2014, 10:15 PM   #7
smokin30-06
Full Fledged Farker

Can you buy a used sandblaster, use it, then keep it or resell it?

Old 04-09-2014, 10:53 PM   #8
jayman
Full Fledged Farker

I have this one:

it works alright. I have a 4 Hp 25 gallon air compressor and it makes it work a little bit. I just received a 55 gal barrel and tried a little to test last weekend. the barrel I have is unlined. it worked well on the little I did. Hope this helps.
Weber Genesis Silver A
[COLOR="Blue"]Blue[/COLOR] Thermapen
jayman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-10-2014, 12:05 AM   #9
bbq1980
Knows what a fatty is.

Thanks for the suggestions on the sandblasting equipment. That idea did occur to me, but then I'd need the compressor, the media, respirator, etc. but I'll keep it mind. I'm gonna call the sandblaster tomorrow and try and lower the price down from the $150.

Old 04-10-2014, 06:39 AM   #10
va_connoisseur
Full Fledged Farker

I ran into this issue. I wanted to do a drum but sandblasting and powder coating was going to run me 2 bills. The barrel had a liner that he could not guarantee would be fully eliminated
[LIST][*]250 gallon, custom reverse flow smoker with warming cabinet aka Hawg Coffin[*]120 gallon reverse flow aka Hog Coffin (retired)[*] 22 and 18.5 WSM[*]Known as Spatulaman[*]Owner of Plate BBQ LLC[/LIST]
va_connoisseur is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-10-2014, 07:02 AM   #11
captndan
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Try a monument shop.
captndan is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 04-10-2014, 07:29 AM   #12
ssbbqguy
is one Smokin' Farker

Monument shop is what I would try first.Steve.
ssbbqguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-10-2014, 07:34 AM   #13
Shagdog

The Blast Shop in Kenosha. Only 45 minutes or so from you.. I want to say it was $60 to blast the drum and lid. Good service. They do powder coating, but they said it was only good to 3-400 degrees and didn't try to sell me on it.

http://www.theblastshopinc.com/

[COLOR=Blue][SIZE=2]Shirley Fabrication 24x70 Trailer - UDS - Weber Kettle - WGA - Fire Pit Rotisserie - Shirley-Shagstone Griddle/Wok Cart - Carson Rodizio

[B][SIZE=3][COLOR=Black]2016 Official BBQ Brethren Ribeye Master[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

[/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS][SIZE=1][COLOR=Silver]
[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
Shagdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-10-2014, 08:10 AM   #14
ModelMaker

If it's "new and unlined" why bother? That's what I started with, just painted outside and cooked on. It has a nice patina now and is good to go.
Ed
Extremely seasoned hand hammered Wok
Pit Boss-HART BURN Competition BBQ Team
KCBS certified judge

And Your not the boss of me either!!
ModelMaker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-10-2014, 08:51 AM   #15
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbq1980 View Post
So apparently I have a better chance of finding a needle in a haystack than I do of locating an affordable sandblaster for my new unlined UDS drum.
New drums only need to be built build it and get cooking TX matchsticks are pretty handy charcoal lighters & Chili roasters.

Tags
uds build, weed burner