MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-09-2015, 06:45 PM   #1
BBQMIKEM
Got rid of the matchlight.

Default Building my first UDS, and I had a couple questions

I'm working through building my first UDS, and it's going well. I'll post some pics soon. I have run into a couple of bumps and wondered if anyone had similar issues in the past.

First issue is I am having a hard time finding a large enough piece of expanded metal for my charcoal basket. Did anyone use a different design for their basket?

Second is there an adhesive or sealant that anyone would trust to put on the smoker? I'm hesitant to use any chemicals for obvious reasons, but i definitely have a few places like down near my bottom air intake which could use some sealing/adhesive

Thanks
Mike
BBQMIKEM is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-09-2015, 09:14 PM   #2
Richard_
is One Chatty Farker

Home Depot or ace hardware will have the expabpnded metal , I used hi temp rtv around my intake , once it cures your fine , just use it on the outside
Weber 18.5 R.I.P.
Smokey Joe
Treager 070
Traeger 075
UDS
Brinkmann Cimarron
Pink Thermapen
Richard_ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-09-2015, 09:24 PM   #3
Dr. Trout Bum
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Greg

Ditto on Home Depot for the expanded metal. It came in a cardboard package, which I was not expecting, so it doesn't just jump out at you.

Old 03-09-2015, 09:34 PM   #4
revkab
is one Smokin' Farker

I simply went to a good sheetmetal/fabrication shop, had them roll some 9 guage expanded metal into an 18" cylinder, then had them cut me a piece I could cut and weld to the bottom. Cost me about $30 for the metal and the work, and about an hour of welding and cutting.
[COLOR=blue][B][SIZE=3]That Smokin' Preacher. Ribs and :mad2:[COLOR=red]Hot Peppers[/COLOR]:mad2:[/SIZE][/B][/COLOR][LIST][*][B]WKG (Weber Kettle Grill)[/B][*][B][COLOR=navy]Brinkman heavy duty Cimarron offset[/COLOR][/B][*][B][COLOR=red]Custom built 72" x 40" Offset logburner[/COLOR][/B][*][B][COLOR=navy]One Butt Ugly Drum Smoker[/COLOR][/B][*][B][COLOR=black]One big tow-behind Wood-fired grill [/COLOR][/B][*][B][COLOR=#ff0000][COLOR=gray]and one itty bitty gasser[/COLOR] :doh:[/COLOR][/B][/LIST]
revkab is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-10-2015, 04:55 AM   #5
ebijack
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : tom

The sheets/pieces from HD you will need 2 to form your basket. Most employees do not know they even sell it. Go down the bolt/rope/strap isle and you will see the angle iron etc. Standing up on it's side are a few different types/sizes in white cardboard. Trims easily with tin snips. Bolt, wire, weld after shaping the expanded metal. Bends easy around a pole so go easy. High temp RTV around the outside of the barrel like mentioned if required.
ebijack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-10-2015, 07:12 AM   #6
Nuco59
Babbling Farker

There are several different ways to approach your UDS build. Yes, HD and Lowes do have 2' x 2' sheets of expando - for a bit over $20.00 You will still need a grate (or another piece of expando) for the bottom.The 13.5" dia charcoal grate (for the 18.5" weber) is a good size but you will likely have to order it online- never saw one in HD or Lowes on the shelf. Then bust your 2 x 2 expando in half and have enough to wrap around the grate. Wire it together with clothes hanger wire, or SS or mild steel rebar tying wire- all work. Might hit Grainger (they seem to be everywhere) - same size sheet but thicker for half the price. Or you can get a 4'x 4' sheet of 3/4 #13 expando from Grainger for about 30.00 - do a bit of trimming and make yourself a dandy square basket- no grate needed. Hit Google-there are a couple of videos showing how- do yourself a favor and don't get the 3/4 #9...very tuff to bend- go thinner.

On ball valves/ nipples/emt washers/ sealant... IMO- I don't bother- honestly. Yes, they look Industrial Cool- something about "grabbing a lever and making that slight tweak"speaks to a fella. But try this- drill your intake holes- hit amazon, a craft store, a sign shop and get a small sheet of magnetic flexible vinyl - cut you some 3x5's and go to town. They last a long time- will not leak, you will not stub your toe on them, you can see how much hole you have open/closed and they are dirt cheap. They don't have the cool factor- granted- but I would defy anyone who said that their valves work better.

Good luck- however you build it- you will love using and sharing what comes off your UDS
Nuco59 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-10-2015, 07:37 AM   #7
Parm
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuco59 View Post
There are several different ways to approach your UDS build. Yes, HD and Lowes do have 2' x 2' sheets of expando - for a bit over $20.00 You will still need a grate (or another piece of expando) for the bottom.The 13.5" dia charcoal grate (for the 18.5" weber) is a good size but you will likely have to order it online- never saw one in HD or Lowes on the shelf. Then bust your 2 x 2 expando in half and have enough to wrap around the grate. Wire it together with clothes hanger wire, or SS or mild steel rebar tying wire- all work. Might hit Grainger (they seem to be everywhere) - same size sheet but thicker for half the price. Or you can get a 4'x 4' sheet of 3/4 #13 expando from Grainger for about 30.00 - do a bit of trimming and make yourself a dandy square basket- no grate needed. Hit Google-there are a couple of videos showing how- do yourself a favor and don't get the 3/4 #9...very tuff to bend- go thinner.

On ball valves/ nipples/emt washers/ sealant... IMO- I don't bother- honestly. Yes, they look Industrial Cool- something about "grabbing a lever and making that slight tweak"speaks to a fella. But try this- drill your intake holes- hit amazon, a craft store, a sign shop and get a small sheet of magnetic flexible vinyl - cut you some 3x5's and go to town. They last a long time- will not leak, you will not stub your toe on them, you can see how much hole you have open/closed and they are dirt cheap. They don't have the cool factor- granted- but I would defy anyone who said that their valves work better.

Good luck- however you build it- you will love using and sharing what comes off your UDS
Great idea, shame my UDS is stainless steel !!

Old 03-10-2015, 07:47 AM   #8
ITBFQ
is One Chatty Farker

When I made my UDS, I used these stainless steel zip ties for the basket. Cheap, easy to use, and no welding required. I used these over three years ago, and they are still holding strong.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Gardner-B...0245/202528833

And yes, the expanded metal at HD is kind of hard to find. On the link below, post #11 shows what it looks like in the white cardboard packaging.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=121853

[URL="https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hatfield-and-McCoy-Barbecue/765488903565575"]Hatfield and McCoy Barbecue[/URL] - Co-Pitmaster
Illinois This Butt's for 'Que - Pitmaster

KCBS CBJ; 18.5" WSM; [COLOR="Sienna"]U[/COLOR][COLOR="Navy"]D[/COLOR][COLOR="Sienna"]S[/COLOR]; [COLOR="Red"]Thermapen Mk4[/COLOR]; [COLOR="Blue"]DigiQ DX2[/COLOR]; [COLOR="DarkOrange"]IQ120[/COLOR]; [COLOR="Gray"]CharBroil Gasser (wind victim after 11 years)[/COLOR]; Maverick; OTS x2; etc.

[URL="http://bbqbeat.com/hatfield-and-mccoy-bbq-team/"]We're (kinda) famous![/URL]
ITBFQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-10-2015, 08:10 AM   #9
Shagdog
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I'm not a fan of the home depot expanded.. they gouge you on price and you have to connect it in 2 places. Find a steel shop and have them cut you a piece. I explained what I wanted, had it cut while I stood by making sure he was cutting how I wanted.. 1 piece 10"x4' and a 16" square for the bottom. Whole thing cost 30 bucks. I took it home and wrapped it around a bucket to make it round.

For a sealant, you can use RTV or JB Weld. Either works great.

Come Join the fun in the Throwdowns!

Shirley Fabrication 24x70 Trailer - UDS - Weber Kettle - WGA - Fire Pit Rotisserie - Shirley-Shagstone Griddle/Wok Cart - Carson Rodizio

2016 Official BBQ Brethren Ribeye Master

Shagdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-10-2015, 01:25 PM   #10
Kaptain Kadian
is One Chatty Farker

You can get a round grate for the bottom of it at academy for around $5 and then attach the grating to it by any of the ways mentioned. I have made 10 or so this way with the expanded metal grating from home Depot cut in half and bolted together
Kaptain Kadian is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-11-2015, 06:11 PM   #11
BBQMIKEM
Got rid of the matchlight.

Awesome thanks for all the tips guys. Doesn't look like I'm getting a day off for the next 30 days haha, but soon as I do I'll be completing this build and posting the final product

Old 03-11-2015, 10:15 PM   #12
swamprb
somebody shut me the fark up.

You dont need expando for a basket, pretty much anything that can contain the fuel and a bottom grate to let the ash fall through will work.

For reference take a look at the Pit Barrel Cooker and the Hunsaker Smokers Vortex basket. (google is your friend)

Trust me on this and thank me later!
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
uds, uds build