High Sugar in rub and injection - black bark- am I the problem?

if it does not taste burned then its okay-i try to use the least sugar in general to cut calories relying more on water-logged hickort for the flavor and the marinades overnight
http://thebarbecuemaster.net

This is 100% smoked over Hickory, trust me, its not burnt.

Awesome! Let's focus on this picture. Now I know these aren't burnt but they are black. They look amazing but they are very dark. Did you use sugar anywhere in the cook? This is exactly what I'm talking about.

I use quite a bit of Turbo sugar but these cooked 10 hrs, unfoiled. This is what proper bbq should like. The bark is smokey, sweet n salty, not burnt tasting at all.
YMMV.

Here are some that I have done, either on a kettle or UDS, always over a mixture of lump, briquettes and applewood, sometimes pecan or peach too.

IMG_0518.jpg

P1010647.jpg

pork-cooked-whole.jpg

All of these have sugar in the rub, usually turbinado and I am pretty sure the heat is always around 270F to 280F as that is where I run my cookers normally. There is a range of colors, and some of it appears burned. There is no carbon taste at all to any of these. I believe it is not the sugar, if you are getting burned flavors, look to the fire and how clean it is burning.

So I think its worth posting some results. After reading the above info I realize that a sugary rub, mop, or injection is not the devil. In fact many of you show that you can use this stuff without getting the meat black. Yesterday I focused on not oversmoking, rather than cutting out the sugar. So for 12 hours I only used 3 small wood chucks (seasoned apple in chunks about the size of my fist or a bit larger). No smoke was added during the last few hours. Wood was added only during the first 6 hours, ever other hour.

I used Chris Lillys Injection which was awesome. None of the meat was charred black and I attribute it to less smoke.

I "live blogged" the whole smoke day at http://www.grilling24x7.com/smokeday.shtml
so the exact temperatures and about 15 photos are up there.

Briefly, I aimed for 250 degrees, Kingsford charcoal, minion method, apple wood chunks on the 18.5 inch WSM. After 12 hours none of the meat was black. Everything was perfect.

Attachments

• smokeday11.jpg
    smokeday11.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 46
  • smokeday14.jpg
    smokeday14.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 47
Here are some that I have done, either on a kettle or UDS, always over a mixture of lump, briquettes and applewood, sometimes pecan or peach too.

All of these have sugar in the rub, usually turbinado and I am pretty sure the heat is always around 270F to 280F as that is where I run my cookers normally. There is a range of colors, and some of it appears burned. There is no carbon taste at all to any of these. I believe it is not the sugar, if you are getting burned flavors, look to the fire and how clean it is burning.

Great Looking Pork 'Landarc'

So I think its worth posting some results. After reading the above info I realize that a sugary rub, mop, or injection is not the devil. In fact many of you show that you can use this stuff without getting the meat black. Yesterday I focused on not oversmoking, rather than cutting out the sugar. So for 12 hours I only used 3 small wood chucks (seasoned apple in chunks about the size of my fist or a bit larger). No smoke was added during the last few hours. Wood was added only during the first 6 hours, ever other hour.

I used Chris Lillys Injection which was awesome. None of the meat was charred black and I attribute it to less smoke.

Briefly, I aimed for 250 degrees, Kingsford charcoal, minion method, apple wood chunks on the 18.5 inch WSM. After 12 hours none of the meat was black. Everything was perfect.

Glad you worked out your issues 'Grilling24x7' .....

Back